Oregon RV and State Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

We are currently in LL Stub Stewart State Park near Buxton, 30 or so miles from Portland. It's perfectly warm out. Oregon seems to have the best state campgrounds on the west coast. Very different from what we're used to in California. Full hookups, large sites, lots of trees, and quiet in spite of it being completely full. I went for a walk and heard someone playing a uke and thought about going to join in if he's interested. The uke did not carry into the next site at all. The last time we came up this way we stayed at a few state campgrounds and while they were very nice this one surpasses them easily.

Previous to this we were at Lewis & Clark RV Park near Astoria. Another great, and beautiful, place. The owner, Linda, is a complete hoot and came to visit us on our last evening there. Astoria is in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The mouth of the Columbia River. I climbed the Astoria Column (and survived to tell the tale). What a view! I really like Astoria even though it snows once in a while.

Prior to that we were in Seaside at Circle Creek RV Park. It was pretty nice. It was Memorial Day weekend so the park was full of partiers. Lots of good places to go in Seaside. We HAD to go to MO's. It was disappointing though. Found a sushi place in the Eddy Bauer mall that was pretty good.

Also stayed at Tillamook Bay City RV Park. The best food we found in Tillamook was at Recess. A food truck. Look 'em up on yelp.

Oceanside RV Park in Coos Bay. We had to buy a new battery for our towed there. The Ford dealer was very good to us. Coos bay was OK But I'm glad we didn't stay longer, Coos bay is a working town.

And last but not least: On The River RV Park in Myrtle Creek. Another beautiful place. We liked it so much we're stopping there on our return trip. Nothing much in Myrtle Creek though. Just sit outside and watch the river go by.

I've taken about a hundred pictures but they are all way too big to attach here. (24+MB each). I'll convert some of the good ones down to JPEGs after we get home.

We are currently in LL Stub Stewart State Park near Buxton, 30 or so miles from Portland. It's perfectly warm out. Oregon seems to have the best state campgrounds on the west coast. Very different from what we're used to in California. Full hookups, large sites, lots of trees, and quiet in spite of it being completely full. I went for a walk and heard someone playing a uke and thought about going to join in if he's interested. The uke did not carry into the next site at all. The last time we came up this way we stayed at a few state campgrounds and while they were very nice this one surpasses them easily.

Previous to this we were at Lewis & Clark RV Park near Astoria. Another great, and beautiful, place. The owner, Linda, is a complete hoot and came to visit us on our last evening there. Astoria is in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The mouth of the Columbia River. I climbed the Astoria Column (and survived to tell the tale). What a view! I really like Astoria even though it snows once in a while.

Prior to that we were in Seaside at Circle Creek RV Park. It was pretty nice. It was Memorial Day weekend so the park was full of partiers. Lots of good places to go in Seaside. We HAD to go to MO's. It was disappointing though. Found a sushi place in the Eddy Bauer mall that was pretty good.

Also stayed at Tillamook Bay City RV Park. The best food we found in Tillamook was at Recess. A food truck. Look 'em up on yelp.

Oceanside RV Park in Coos Bay. We had to buy a new battery for our towed there. The Ford dealer was very good to us. Coos bay was OK But I'm glad we didn't stay longer, Coos bay is a working town.

And last but not least: On The River RV Park in Myrtle Creek. Another beautiful place. We liked it so much we're stopping there on our return trip. Nothing much in Myrtle Creek though. Just sit outside and watch the river go by.

I've taken about a hundred pictures but they are all way too big to attach here. (24+MB each). I'll convert some of the good ones down to JPEGs after we get home.
Tillamook has a few food carts that are good, our daughter lives there and they are pretty good at sniffing them out. Recess is worth it. Did you try the burger with the Mac and Cheese patty on it?

Mo's. Another word for food poisoning.

Hope you didn't have any power problems at Tillamook Bay City. We were there first week in May for baby sitting duties and had problems after two campers pulled in. Moved to a different spot and all was well. Dinner was delayed for a while.

We must have great taste in RV parks. We stayed at On the River for two nights while doing Wildlife Safari with the grands last year. Nice place.

I'm not a Mac & Cheese kind of guy. I had a regular burger and the DW had a pulled pork and said it was excellent.

'Ship Out' near Astoria, is walking distance from Lewis & Clark RV Park and had the best fish & chips I've ever had. It's a trailer but has a permanent 'dining room'.

@8Muddypaws great post I was searching for. Planing to visit Oregon state parks on a 7 day RV trip from Vancouver, BC in mid September. Can you advice which parks we should tryout with scenic area and water. We are new in RV life.
Thank you.

Seaside, although a little crowded on weekends, is great.

Astoria hands down is the prettiest city I've ever been in.

Milo McIver State Park is gorgeous but it's a place for relaxing and not so much touring.

You pretty much can't go wrong on the Oregon Coast. Read reviews on RVParking.com.

It was either the summer of 2000 or 2001 I was a student at the University of Florida in the Parks, Recreation and Tourism department. I was asked by one of my professors if I wanted to go to Oregon and do some research with the Forest Service and Penn State. they Gave us an RV site in the Umpqua National Forest on the river. My wife and I took a tent and made a trip down the Oregon coast staying in state parks. It was gorgeous. We also stayed in a couple of the old style motels overlooking the coast. We had a great summer out there.

Oregon state parks also have excellent recycling systems. Some parks have these big trailer compactors with separate bins for plastic, cardboard, aluminum, etc. Also have to add that the Oregon SPs have zero hookup and partial hookup sites along with their full hookup sites, so you have a lot of choices.

I do want to add, however, that one of my favorite campgrounds in Oregon is in Eugene and is a county park--Armitage Park. They have a lot of very large, full hookup sites and a terrific laundry room. They also let you wash your rigs on your camping spot for no extra cost. In 2018-19, I had to spend 10 months in Eugene to participate in a research study for a form of chronic leukemia. Had to spend first four months in a commercial campground, but then had to stop by my oncologist only once a month to get some blood work done and pick up my VERY expensive bottle of pills. That gave me lots of time between appointments to visit places in Oregon and Washington. I stayed at Armitage on most of those monthly quick visits and enjoyed doing my laundry and getting my rig washed!!

Unfortunately, I also had to visit the REV factory service place in next door Coburg several times while I was there.

Last edited:
@8Muddypaws great post I was searching for. Planing to visit Oregon state parks on a 7 day RV trip from Vancouver, BC in mid September. Can you advice which parks we should tryout with scenic area and water. We are new in RV life.
Thank you.
One of my favorite state parks is Bullards Beach SP near Bandon, Oregon on the coast. Bandon is a really nice little town with a terrific bakery in the old town area. Also, nice harbor with some nice fish restaurants and some art fixtures, such as hand-carded benches and statues of various sea creatures. Grab a fish sandwich and a bowl of chowder and enjoy sitting on one of the benches overlooking the harbor.

Fort Stevens SP is also nice. It is at the southern shore of where the Columbia River empties into the Pacific. Fort Stevens has a 1906 shipwreck on the beach and a historic fort near the opening of the Columbia River. It was shelled by a submarine in WWII, but the only thing damaged was the parade ground!! There is also a Columbia River Maritime Museum in nearby Astoria that I strongly recommend. Also a reconstruction of the Lewis and Clark Expedition fort where they spent the winter, and across the Columbia in Washington at Cape Disappointment SP is a Lewis and Clark Interpretive center.

And finally, you really need to squeeze out some more time than just 7 days as there is a lot to see on the Pacific Coast!

Thank you every one for guidence and advice. We ended up booking four RV camps for 2 nights each.
1st stop. Thousand trails RV Seaside.
2nd stop. Sea and Sand occian view RV camp
3rd stop. Jessie m. Honeyman state park
4th stop. Fort Stevens State Park Astoria

We will stay a night in Seattle while going and coming back.
Leaving Vancouver Today.
It is our first week-long trip. Hope it will go smoothly, Will update how it went.
One question. May be utvis not right post to ask.
We have Class C - SUNSEEKER 2900 Motorhome. Year 2005 on Shevy express.
We have 5 seats with seat belts. And driver plus passenger seat at front.

Is it ok if we travel 7 adult in this RV.

Total weight of 7 persons is 450 KG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom