Orlando

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris362

We're wanting to take our daughter and grand-son (7) to Orlando sometime next year ( while he's out of school) for a week or so.
I was thinking that the Fort Wilderness package was a pretty good deal, but...
they only offer tickets to Disney parks. We were wanting to spend equal time in Universal Studios, Sea World and Disney/Epcot Center.

I was thinking, don't get the package, just stay at Fort Wilderness, rent a car and purchase theme park tickets as needed. But, that can get real pricey.

Any suggestions on the best and most economical way to do the area?

(35' class A /2 slides)

You don't state how long you're planning to be in the Orlando area on this trip, but most first-timers vastly overestimate how many parks they can "do" in a given number of days. It's probably better to plan your first visit to be just that - the first in a series of many returns.
First, there's Walt Disney World, which itself contains four separate theme parks - Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, plus two complete water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Not to mention the Downtown Disney area with shops, restaurants, a Cirque du Soleil theater, Disneyquest (A multi-story game arcade) and much more. Each theme park will keep you busy for at least a full, long day and even then you probably won't experience much more than half of the rides and attractions in each.
Disney resort packages typically include some form of multi-park passes good for the theme parks only. Water parks are an add-on.
The Universal Orlando Resort complex about ten miles from Disney contains two theme parks - Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Like the Disney theme parks, each of these will keep you busy for at least a full day.
The Sea World complex, between Disney's and Universal's has it's core theme park plus Aquatica, its water park. Each of these easily fills a full day.
You also might consider the 90-minute drive the Kennedy Space Center visitor complex in Cape Canaveral to get up close with Space Shuttle Atlantis and a real Saturn V moon rocket. With it's launch simulator ride, IMAX movies, exhibits and a side trip to one of the Apollo launch pads and maybe a group lunch with an astronaut, the KSC visitor complex can easily fill a day, though if you're not that much of a science/technology buff you can always spend the afternoon on the beach.
If your plans do end up including some non-Disney days, consider getting a Disney package for the period you want to spend exploring the Disney attractions, then extending it with a camping-only reservation for the days you'll be going to non-Disney properties.
We love Fort Wilderness, and even though our home base is close enough to hear the Disney fireworks every night, we spend a couple of weeks a year camping at The Fort. It's a wonderfully peaceful getaway in the midst of the bustling theme parks.
The best advice I can offer for a new visitor is to get and study in depth a copy of "Birnbaum's Walt Disney World" long before making any reservations. Personal experience. Just sayin'.
Above all, relax, enjoy, and come back again! A good mantra is "I'm not in a hurry, I'm on vacation."

I live near Orlando and I have annual passes to all the parks. PopPop is giving out great information. There are only a few things I can add. Disney is way better than any of the other theme parks, but the other theme parks are pretty incredible also, it is just that they pale in comparison to Disney. Kennedy Space Center is one of the best things here and it is only 50 miles from Orlando. Two other parks that were not mentioned are Gatorland and Legoland, both of which really appeal to kids. The most important point is to only do one park per day. Staying at Fort Wilderness is a wonderful idea. I was there last year for two weeks and loved it. The cleanest RV park in the world. And so convenient.

Thanks for the great info.

I'm not into water parks, so no need for those.

We'd be there for a week or so. My agenda right now has us staying at Fort Wilderness for eight nights. That should be six full days there. I want at least two days for the Universal Studios parks.

My wife wants to go to Harry Potter and have a wall talk to her......don't ask. I'm think if I can find the one with the right Harry Potter area, I may only spend 1 day at Universal.

The Grandson's been to Lego Land, so I don't want to repeat anything when there's something new.  I think the Epcot Center and the Space Center may not keep a 7 year old entertained.

I think the suggestion of getting a Wilderness package for the number of days we plan on going to Disney parks and extending it for camping only is a great idea. That leaves the other days open without a commitment to any one place.

Any particular spots in Fort Wilderness better than others?

Oh, we're also coming home (Missouri) through Louisiana. I'm planning on some good Cajun food and a gator adventure somewhere along the way.  But, the Gatorland site looks interesting.

Chris362 said:
My wife wants to go to Harry Potter and have a wall talk to her......don't ask. I'm think if I can find the one with the right Harry Potter area, I may only spend 1 day at Universal.
There are two Harry Potter sections and they are connected but you have to have a multipark pass to see both sections. HP is extremely popular so arrive at the park an hour early and be close to the front at rope drop and then head directly for HP.
The Grandson's been to Lego Land, so I don't want to repeat anything when there's something new.  I think the Epcot Center and the Space Center may not keep a 7 year old entertained.
There is plenty at EC and KSC to keep a 7 year old entertained all day, but the other parks are probably better.
I think the suggestion of getting a Wilderness package for the number of days we plan on going to Disney parks and extending it for camping only is a great idea. That leaves the other days open without a commitment to any one place.

Any particular spots in Fort Wilderness better than others?
The whole place is great. Bus stops are very close. There are four bus lines that run inside the campground to connect you to the outside bus lines that take you to the park. It is all pretty easy and free. However it helps to get a map online and study it before you get there so you aren't wasting time just getting from park to park.
Oh, we're also coming home (Missouri) through Louisiana. I'm planning on some good Cajun food and a gator adventure somewhere along the way.  But, the Gatorland site looks interesting.
Gatorland is amazing. I go there once a week. I thought it was going to be a cheezy zoo and I was right but it is a very good cheezy zoo. 8)

Again, thank you for taking the time to share that info.
Some really good tips.

SeilerBird, thanks for reminding us about Legoland. I haven't been there yet, but friends who have been like it a lot.

Kennedy Space Center - It all depends on the kids. My 4-year-old grandson prefers it over every other attraction in the area. He treasures his KSC annual pass well above a Disney.

There are (slightly) different price levels in Fort Wilderness. We feel the premium sites are well worth the, um, premium. More spacious (though there are really no cramped spots in the place).

And yes, Gatorland is one of those places that's a lot more fun than you'd think. Really great for a half-day. I understand the zip lines over the gators are a hoot.

IMHO the keys to enjoying a first trip to this area are
1. Allow more time than you think you'll need. (Yes, it's worth repeating)
2. Read that Birnbaum guide cover to cover before you schedule anything.
3. Get familiar with some of the many independent Disney-centered web site, like http://allears.net/
4. If at all possible, come in January through May (except around Easter) or September through mid-November. Though the really magic time is the first two weeks of December when the Christmas decorations are up, the Thanksgiving crowds have left, and the Christmas crowds haven't yet arrived.

I agree with everything PopPop has said.

Disney World is not your father's Disneyland. Disneyland is 160 acres, Disney World is 42,000 acres. You really need to have a plan every day you are in the park. You need to know what park you are going to, what rides to go on and what rides to go on first. Without a plan and you will spend half the day standing in line. With a plan your line waits will be very small, five or ten minutes at most rides. I suggest getting a book and reading it. This is the one I read:

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Walt-Disney-World-ebook/dp/B00KV1SL1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408740370&sr=8-1

Speaking of Orlando, I was at SeaWorld the other day and saw the greatest animal show I have ever seen. It is called Pets Ahoy. It was not the trained dogs, pig, birds, or skunk that impressed me, it was the trained cats. Anyone who thinks you can't herd cats should watch this video:

http://youtu.be/b96Ao0q_AXQ

Oh, man! Now I gotta see the Pets Ahoy Show.

Thanks. I'll check out that site and see if I can come up with that guide.

I know you've heard this before' "So much to do, so little time". Very appropriate saying for Orlando.

I am going back to Sea World tomorrow and I am going to see the show again. I have a season's pass so I will likely see it a few times this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom