our first trip with the bikes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sscottab

so last firday we where heading out to a campground about 6 hours away in glenn falls new york , this is the first time loading and taking the bikes but second time out we took the tt to a campground about 2 hours from home here in maine on memorial weekend as a test run. well it was a learning experance for sure i have never owned a trailer or rv before and so loading bike 1 ( my bike is low) i did not know to raise the front of the rv it was hooked to the truck needless to say i will be replacing the metal strip along the edge of the floor. out neighbors parents showed up and have owned trailers and instructed my to raise the front and my wifes bike went in with no problem.

now for problem 2 the rv has vinal flooring and found out it dosnt like kick stands  but has enough d rings in the floor so got them secure. and off we go well we left a lot later then expected and got there after dark and come to find out we had no lights of any kind on the trailer i will get to that later. stressed out and tired a few of the other campers jumped rite in and helped us unload and get into our spot they where life savers for sure.

now for the no lights next morning investigated i found the box where the harness to the truck was wired into was full of moisture and not sealed it looks like a home junction box well water corrision and electricity caused the wire to melt down and short out blowing my fuses for the tt in my truck they are seperate from the other fuses so i dint know. found a rv parts store and bought a new harness and did a tempory repair to get home. we did get to ride one day and the sesonals that stay there are wunderfull.

the rv goes to the dealer tomorrow night for thursday appointment to go through it and fix all that is needsed the rv it new about a month and a half for us. yes next trip is scheduled for next month a week long trip to the same place on ny. any sugestions would be great the dealer was no help about information and loading and securing and what to look out for. sorry for the long post.

Bikes and RV'ing are a match made in heaven.  We have ebikes and carry one on a rack on the TT and the other one folds and fits in the back of the truck or in the trailer.

Attachments

• Bike rack on TT small size.jpg
    Bike rack on TT small size.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 36
We had a side ramp toy hauler and carried a Yamaha Vstar 650.  It also sat low and would bottom out going into the garage.  Two things worked for us.  First, I built a plywood ramp extension that added about 3 or 4 feet to the ramp.  That made the entry relatively easy.  The downside was it's size and weight.  The other thing that helped was to park the trailer along side a curbed boulevard/sidewalk.  We would lower the ramp to the boulevard and drive in.  That was easy with our side ramp.  Your's is a rear ramp and that may not work unless you have lots of room. 

Good luck.  It's worth the effort to have the bike along. 

i raised the front of the trailer and no more bottoming out as for what we have for bikes mine is a roadstar raider and my wifes is a v star 950t. i will look into the condor mounts but my bike has a full wrap front fender so a lot of the type that lock the front wheel wont work on mine.

sscottab said:
i raised the front of the trailer and no more bottoming out as for what we have for bikes mine is a roadstar raider and my wifes is a v star 950t. i will look into the condor mounts but my bike has a full wrap front fender so a lot of the type that lock the front wheel wont work on mine.

The condor has a vee shaped cradle that pivots when the tire passes center and then the tire presses against the upright. The shape of the cradle allows you to just climb off and the bike stays upright. You then tie it down as normal.
There are several positions for the cradle depending on tire size. If set right, a good tug pulls the wheel past center and out she comes.

We have a pair of Harleu dressers and have been using the condor mounts since around 2004.

here is my bike do you think the condor will clear my front fender

Attachments

• jan19 003.JPG
    jan19 003.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 25
sscottab said:
here is my bike do you think the condor will clear my front fender

I see what you mean.  It could work if you set the pivot carefully.

Where are you located?  I am near I495 in MA. Maybe we could get together and try it?

we live in pittsfield maine just below bangor probly 3 hours north of you. thank you for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom