Our project trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading to home depot today to get lumber and screws. The weather has been pretty awful, so not much progress. Tc tom- there was really no need to tear her all the way down. The main damage is just to the one wall where I'm assuming water damage has come from the Windows and cargo doors needing resealed. The roof, bathroom, bedroom, etc. Are solid. Not to mention, we couldn't afford to tear her completely down and then rebuild her.

I'm still here. =) Haven't touched the old girl all winter...The weather has been an issue. But, we did buy a new fridge for her. And I'm still obsessed with getting it done. As soon as the weather starts improving, I'm on it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vissani-9-9-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-White-HVDR1040W/205429596

looking good- lots of work but worth it in the end. very happy you went for it, that's how we do things and always enjoy the results. hopefully the weather will cooperate and you will be back at it.

Thanks all. After talking with the boyfriend, we've decided to make a few more changes. First, I'm going to pull the oven out and put more storage and counter space there. We are going to just purchase a portable cook top, since most of our cooking will be done outside anyhow. I don't see when/how/where I would ever need an oven. Second, I'm going to add a tankless hot water heater. The heater that's in it now is not in great shape, so this is a cost effective alternative to replacing that.  8)

Whew!!! Tearing into her some more. I got the door off, a window out, and almost the whole bottom of the passenger side demo'd. While pulling off the aluminum siding though I pretty much ruined a couple of pieces... Sooo, we are heading to a salvage yard I found online about an hour away this weekend. Hopefully they will have what we need, otherwise I'll have to use some bondo and improvise. I also found more water damage in the rear corner, so I will have to tear that out and rebuild it. Slowly bot surely!!

Glad to hear you went ahead with project. I'm new to the forum, so was just reading some older posts. We rehabbed our first TT. By we, I mean Dh and his dad. ;) I helped with some stuff.
They had to gut the front where the walls and floor had water damage. His dad's golf club was remodeling at the time, and their paneling was the same as out TT, so we got some free walls. In retrospect, I wish I had just painted the walls, but it still looked old fashioned nice. :)

Tip for your fridge. I'm assuming there's an access panel on the outside, make sure no birds or bees can get through the cover (ie if it's louvered, etc.) If that means lining the inside with a fine mesh, I'd recommend it. First year out, we had a birds nest on top, and bees were next. What a pita. The vent on the roof, meant for the rv fridge we no longer had would allow rain to splash inside, which caused minor water. I think dh blocked it up with hard foam. We used a tall mini fridge and it worked fine for us. A lot cheaper than a $1k rv fridge. We bought a used rv fridge but it didn't work like seller said, so we sold it to a fixer.

I agree on the stove removal. I never use a stove when we camp. Were always at campgrounds, no boondocking. I wish we had just removed ours and put micro in it's place or storage. It would have been easier than cutting and fixing uppers to fit micro. We use tripod, electric skillet, and or/grill most of the time, and toaster oven for breakfast breads. This year will be interesting, we bought a newer to us fixer. Just the floor, front and back. Making progress, but I have lots of sewing to do.

Good luck reframing it all. Find some planks you can walk on the meantime. Glad you got a squared door frame. Have you seen the screen door hacks on Pinterest? Cute.

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement! Wouldn't you know it.. the weather has been great all week, but come the weekend, rain.  ::) We also seem to have had a litter of kittens born under the old girl... Soooo, off to the humane society with them. Hopefully they find good homes. I keep coming up with all these ideas and plans, I just really want to implement them! lol I bought an exterior shower for 20 bucks, I'm excited for that. I also think I'm going to pretty much gut the living area, other than the fridge and sliding pantry shelf. We bought a new deeper sink, and I am thinking of just custom building a countertop with storage shelving underneath. There's so much wasted and unaccessible space the way it is now. We'll see...

What an interesting summer it's been. I got a ton of work done on her, but since I'm learning as I  go, not as much as I'd like. We also got a lovely notice from our landlords that we have to move since they are selling the house, so that's taken over time and budget. THEN, we got a notice from the city that we were violating city code by having the RV in the condition it's in on our property. I call BS, but whatever. I'm glad we're moving. It's a place on 5 acres with a nice big shop, so plenty of room to get her done. I still have the vision!!  :p ;D

Can I just say, I will never complain about my RV wallpaper again?? :)

Congrats on persisting and getting her this far!

Glad your enforced relocation is working out. :) It may be the best thing to have happened. If you have any more piccies, please put them up - we'd like to see!

Dougie.

hehe. The wallpaper will be painted, eventually. I will update pics too. I've got most of the siding up and windows installed. Need to get the doors put back on.  ;)

Other than being dated and ugly, and I say that with respect, all motorhomes and campers over 5 years old look like they where designed in the 70's.. 
your in it right for what it needs, do it right and you can probably flip it and make some miney

Wegocampin... good work!  ;D
I started reading the thread from the first post and thought... what could be bought for 7 Benjamins?  ???
BUT after seeing the pictures I am definitely jealous!  :(  You are rehabing it as I would have and it looks marvelous... I am a retired contractor and always wanted to build my own RV... gut the whole thing and lay out the floor plan the way I wanted.  ;)
Once again good work and please update the photos... don't know that I'd paint over wall paper though but that's just me.  :-[

Keith

I'm getting ready to paint the bedroom. I've posted pics in my album. I am going to do DIY floors (Plywood cut into strips and laid like a wood floor, then stain and poly.) Progress!

Hey! Good to hear you're still at it. I do think of you from time to time and look forward to your next update. Hopefully the weather will get better but meantime, get those pics up of the next interior steps!

Thanks Dougie!! We actually just got 8 inches of snow!!  :eek: That's a lot for us here. I still need to button up the outside, but for now I can work on the bedroom and bathroom areas where I know for sure there are no leaks. It's taking me a lot of time, but I still have a good idea of how it will look when I'm done.  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom