Our refrigerator will not turn on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freds123

We have a norcold refrigerator and we shut it down to defrost and give it a good cleaning and will not turn back on!  Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did you do about it? 

When you say won't start do you mean dead, no power, no lights? What brand and model of refrigerator?

Have you checked fuses and tested for 12 volt power on the connection block on the rear of the refrigerator? Are your coach batteries on line and charged?

As Jeff says, we need more info, i.e. the Norcold model.  Do you have any lights on the operator panel at all? Any error codes or blinking lights? Or just nothing (no power)

The model #1200LRIM and has had the recalls done on it.  The batteries have been checked and are ok.  The is no lights that come on and the refrigerator is dead. 

My husband thinks it is the thermal sensor and we would like to bypass this until we can get a new one??

Go outside and open the fridge access panel in the outer wall. You will be able to see the small black box that is the recall control module. It has a red indicator light. If the red light is ON, that is the reason you have no power - the module has shut the power off. Unfortunately, some versions of those recall boxes are known to give false alarms and your situation sounds like it may be one.  You can bypass it, but if it was NOT a false alarm it could result in a cooling unit failure and possibly even a fire. You have to decide on that risk by yourself.

There is another trick which involves a forced reset of the recall box.  Get a strong magnet and hold it against the front upper edge of the box for 15-30 seconds. This usually pulls the open relay back into its closed position and restores power. The advantage of this trick is that the module remains active and will cut out again if there really is an overheat condition. If the box cuts out multiple times, leave the fridge off and get professional help to diagnose why it is overheating.

Thanks Gary, my husband said he will try your trick.  Also, can we get the sensor part somewhere else other than nocold or does it have to be ordered by them alone? 

I think you will find that that particular part will only be available from Norcold and sold only to a qualified tech or RV repair business as recognized by Norcold. They won't sell one to YOU!!!!

If you are talking about the recall sensor if it is defective they will replace it free of charge, ours was repkaced last year.

It is their rear end it is protecting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom