Out Of The Mouths of Babes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... with a trike... more carrying capacity?

I wonder how expensive extra batteries would be? Or a larger battery?

But then the extra weight...  <sigh>

Still... have two batteries, go out on one, head home on the second. :)

Just watch out with trikes.  I've read many reviews on electric trikes, and many people describe them as "top heavy" and subject to rolling over.  These are mainly older folks, who have difficulty riding a two wheel bicycle, and intended to use them as handicapped or medical mobility devices, but with their high center of gravity, they are not as stable as they look.  There are some trikes, with low center of gravity designs, that would probably work well, rather than going with a traditional mobility scooter.

It comes down to doing your research, and buyer beware!

srs713 said:
Hmmm... with a trike... more carrying capacity?

I wonder how expensive extra batteries would be? Or a larger battery?

But then the extra weight...  <sigh>

Still... have two batteries, go out on one, head home on the second. :)
Just be careful with  lithium-ion batteries.  There are different types, and some have been know to overheat and catch fire.  It has been described as an explosion by some who have witnessed it.  This has happened in computers which use them, as well as bicycles, mobility scooters, Segway type balancing scooters, etc. 
It is advisable not to overcharge these batteries, because that's when it happens, and don't leave them plugged in overnight, indoors, or in you attached garage, because of fire hazard.

rebelsun said:
Just watch out with trikes.  I've read many reviews on electric trikes, and many people describe them as "top heavy" and subject to rolling over.  These are mainly older folks, who have difficulty riding a two wheel bicycle, and intended to use them as handicapped or medical mobility devices, but with their high center of gravity, they are not as stable as they look.  There are some trikes, with low center of gravity designs, that would probably work well, rather than going with a traditional mobility scooter.

It comes down to doing your research, and buyer beware!

This instability has been noticed in the motorcycle community as well. Single front wheel trikes tend to tip VERY easily when turning and braking at the same time. Trikes with two front wheels and one rear are far more stable. Notably the Spider line of motorcycles.

srs713 said:
This instability has been noticed in the motorcycle community as well. Single front wheel trikes tend to tip VERY easily when turning and braking at the same time. Trikes with two front wheels and one rear are far more stable. Notably the Spider line of motorcycles.
Yes, I've rode both types of trikes, and although there is a learning curve with the traditional trike, be it a Harley or Honda Gold Wing, mainly that you don't lean into the turn, the Spider gives the initial feeling that it's going to flip on curves, but it turns out to be very stable.

PatrioticStabilist said:
That sounds like something that would work for Sue Anne.  I would like to get her a 3 wheeler for stability so she and I can ride, that might give her the confidence to do so.  Will have to look into that.

I like the idea Miss Mermaid, I think its a good deal.  Also if you get to far away you don't have to worry about being able to get home.

BEsides the trike... they do make training wheels for adult sized bikes and with the addition of the front wheel elec bike kit, you probably won't be able to keep her off the bike at all!  The nice option with the training wheels, is that you can park the bike upright easily (doesn't fall over). I saw a guy outfitted for camping on his bike and because of the heavy loads, he simply put training wheels on his bike, so he can park it upright without it falling it over, I believe he still used a kickstand, but the training wheels gave it stability.

I hope she tries a bike, it's addicting! I wobbled all over the place relearning to balance upright, but it's all coming together.

You are priceless, this has  really brightened my day. ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom