Overall width of 2002 Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I just bought a very nice 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U a few days ago and it is still in the shed of its original owner until this lousy cold snowy spell breaks. I have located a storage shed close to my home that advertises to be 40 ft long x 12 ft high x 10 ft wide.  It was the only vacancy I could find anywhere near my home.  I have seen the outside of the storage shed but not the inside yet.  My question is this.  The 2002 Winnebago Adventurer brochure says the width of this coach is 8 ft 5 1/2 inches.  Does this include the mirrors????  I am hoping I can get the coach into this shed without tearing off mirrors, awnings, etc.  Otherwise, it looks like outside storage until spring when larger units may open up. Current owner has it in a 12 ft high unit so that should not be a problem but he is not sure about the width.  I think it is also 12 because we could walk around the coach with no problem while it was in the shed. Need somebody to calm my fears or tell me to start looking again.  Thanks.

Bill N in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
CDL Driver License Examiner (ND) (Ret)

Edit by staff: changed message icon to Topic Solved

The legal width limit (without a "wide load" permit) is 102 inches (8' 6"), but that doesn't include safety equipment (mirrors, bumpers, etc) or removable accessories (e.g. the awning). I'm pretty confident that the Winnie brochure is quoting the legal definition.

10 feet is 120" and should be sufficient, but it's going to be scary-close as you creep through. You may have to fold the mirrors in tighter to get by.  My previous coach was supposedly 102" and could just barely squeeze though a  [supposedly] 10 ft wide customs booth. I put a scratch in one mirror and had maybe 2-3" clearance on the other side.

Thanks guys for the helpful info.  I really need to get a tape measure and go over there and see the actual measurements but, at the moment, we are going through a mini-blizzard with up to 9 inches of snow and 30 mph winds.  There is another shed about 15 miles away that is enclosed on three sides but has no door and is plenty large enough both width and height but the manager thinks it is located in an area of the facility where I would not have enough room to maneuver in and out because of storage lockers across from the open shed.  Cheaper of course but no help if I can't fit.  Last resort is the MH came with a cover that is supposedly in good shape and I could put it in an outside storage lot and cover it but not sure if i can manhandle that thing with my COPD.  May have to hire some younguns to put it on and take it off.

Bill N said:
Last resort is the MH came with a cover that is supposedly in good shape and I could put it in an outside storage lot and cover it but not sure if i can manhandle that thing with my COPD.

Actually, your last resort is to park it outside and leave it uncovered, which is what many, if not most, of us do.  My coach came with a full cover, but i have never used it.

Getting Old said:
Don't forget that you need to open the door.

Don G.

Yep, that thought has occurred to me Don.  Getting to sound like outside storage more and more but the thing has never been stored exposed to the whole world other than when being used and it shines like a new penny.  Guess a little waxing now and then would leave me with a lot more jingle in my pocket too.  Could afford to have it waxed from time to time.  Last time I stored in the storage place I am thinking of, meth addicts came in by cutting through the fence and stole nothing other than full propane tanks  (including my two 30 pounders off my trailer).  All they stole in the whole yard was full propane tanks.  Didn't touch an empty one.  Missouri has a reputation when it comes to meth labs.

The good news is that it will be a lot harder for the meth heads to steal the propane tank built into your Adventurer than it was for them to take the ones off your trailer.

Well thanks to some good advice here and the use of a little common sense, I have given up on trying to squeeze it through the 10 foot doors and told the place to put me on the list for a 12 foot unit if one opens up.  Doesn't make much difference now as the minus 9 degree temps last night and predicted more snow for tomorrow night mean the coach will stay right with it's former owner in a warm comfy indoor storage.  I would leave it there until spring but the place is almost 60 miles away and I couldn't sit in it and dream of warm weather getaways at that distance.  When it warms up, I will drive it home and put it in open storage nearby. 

I sleep good at night with a cover on my coach....  :) I guess others like water getting in places ( freeze and thaw) over and over again
is a good thing. On the other side of the coin, the sun beating down on your coach i.e. UV rays is a good thing too. An ounce of pre-
vention is worth a pound of cure. JMO

Dan

Perhaps a good ending to the story afterall.  One of the local storage places had a nice large open stall enclosed on 3 sides measuring 12 wide x 14 high x 40 deep but the approach into the stall was very very tight for a 35 foot motorhome and the manager said others had tried and failed to get their units in.  But he went the extra mile for me and said that the National Park Service had rented 3 stalls of the same size but with almost unlimited approach area.  One of those stalls had only a 16 foot boat in it.  He called the NPS supervisor who agreed to move the boat to the short access stall so I could have the good one.  Nice to have someone go the extra mile for you but I found out this guy has been a manager with this storage business for 8 years and regularly wins company awards plus he lives on the grounds and takes a personal interest on the goings on there.  But I will keep the MH cover that came with the coach just in case it becomes needed later.  Thanks to all who helped me with measurements and comments on this subject.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bashboy1
Back
Top Bottom