P30 chassis electric diagram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al Sheehan

Looking for chassis electric diagram I replaced chassis battery and have no power . No ignition, dash gauges, lights, starter. This is a 1995 Georgie boy motor home on a P30 Chevy.

Is the "salesman's" switch off? Might be by the door labeled main or something similar
The mh ran all last year, battery was old and died over the winter. I replaced it and now nothing works from chassis battery . All the aux. lights in the mh work.

Is the "salesman's" switch off? Might be by the door labeled main or something similar? Try pushing it on and off a few times. Do you here a clicking?
This is a gas coach. The "salesman switch" is normally found on DP coaches.

I have a salesman switch on my P32 gas RV. It in no way controls anything with the chassis. There are only so many possible paths between the chassis battery and dash, especially when it comes to lights which often have just a fuse, switch and wire from battery to headlamps. Use a meter or test light to verify the connection to the battery and at the fuse block that will have battery hot (unswitched) power at all times. Check for dis/misconnected wires as a result of the battery replacement.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
The curious thing is it's dead as a hammer. For that to be true, that absolutely nothing works implies either a dead battery or an open cable. Even a crappy connection or half dead battery will show some sign of life, somewhere.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The battery disconnect (aka "salesman switch") is for the house battery, though some rigs also have a disconnect for the chassis. But a chassis disconnect would not be referred to as a "salesman switch".

The best source for P30/P32/P37 chassis information can be found in this Service Manual, but it probably won't have the specific schematic you are looking for.

The curious thing is it's dead as a hammer. For that to be true, that absolutely nothing works implies either a dead battery or an open cable. Even a crappy connection or half dead battery will show some sign of life, somewhere.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
He said the interior 12V lights work. That means one of the 2 positive battery cables is connected. It's all explained in the electrical schematics I provided him. I suspect you're right too, one of the 2 pos battery cables is unattached.

Last edited:
The battery disconnect (aka "salesman switch") is for the house battery, though some rigs also have a disconnect for the chassis. But a chassis disconnect would not be referred to as a "salesman switch".
I have owned two gas powered class A motorhomes and each one had a switch that was labeled as a battery disconnect. Of the 3 RV forums that I frequent, only this one seems to call a battery disconnect a "salesman switch."
The mh ran all last year, battery was old and died over the winter. I replaced it and now nothing works from chassis battery . All the aux. lights in the mh work.
In my experience in electrical repair, if something worked before I "fixed" it and didn't afterward, the first place I would look is at the connections that I made. If you have a volt meter, measure across the battery, the again from the battery cable to ground. Might your battery polarity be reversed?

Of the 3 RV forums that I frequent, only this one seems to call a battery disconnect a "salesman switch."
IIRC the first place I heard that term was from a salesperson and, more specifically, it was a "diesel-specific thing".

Tom, unless things have changed, there are salesmen out there selling most types of RV and all of them have battery disconnects in at least some models. :ROFLMAO: My little KZ Sportsman travel trailer had a battery disconnect and I got it from a salesperson.

Tom, unless things have changed, there are salesmen out there selling most types of RV and all of them have battery disconnects in at least some models. :ROFLMAO: My little KZ Sportsman travel trailer had a battery disconnect and I got it from a salesperson.
Understood Kirk but, for clarification, there are battery disconnects and battery disconnects. Some are a rotary switch, usually near/adjacent to a battery, in series with the positive battery terminal. Others are the kind I described in my linked 'Trombetta' thread, where a rocker switch, often located near the entry door, operates a relay that is in series with the positive battery terminal.

FWIW our first gas coach didn't have either of the above (until I installed one). Our DP has two, one each associated with the chassis battery and the house batteries. Our 5W doesn't have chassis batteries, but has a 'disconnect' located remotely from the house batteries; I have one of the rotary switches ready to install in the battery compartment.

there are battery disconnects and battery disconnects.
I am aware of that. I put one of the old knife switch versions into the 1975 Starcraft Galaxy 8 that we had and then used a Perko switch in the Great Divide that followed it. The 1987 Allegro had a manual one in the stairwell next to the door and our 1998 Cruise Master had a rocker switch on the dash for solenoid isolator. The 2012 Sportsman had a manual disconnect next to the entry door.

Reactions: Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom