Pa to Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooch

We will be traveling this summer for a few weeks.  Our plan is to go to the mount rushmore KOA first, then Grizzly at west yellowstone and on the way home the Ponderosa campground in cody.  Any thoughts on these campgrounds.  We have 5 children (ages 1-10) in a class a diesel.  I also need a campground to stay overnite near the wisconsin dells for our first night on the way out.
thanks

Hi Mooch,

We went to Mount Rushmore last year from Ohio, good times! We stayed at http://www.rafterj.com/ and absolutely loved it. The only thing I can say about the KOA there was that it looked extremely tight and crowed but definitely looked well maintained. Rafter J is so spread out that even when full it doesn't feel like it. Just thought I'd mention it. Other than that I would recommend checking out this site for campers reviews on campgrounds; http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Have a fantastic time!

We stayed at the KOA in Cody and loved it. Just outside of town.

Drove by the Ponderosa and it looked more crowded and smaller spaces but was closer in town.

We spent a week in Cody and the only day not filled with things to do was a rainy day.

If you have the time I would be sure to head north to Glacier NP & hit Theodore Rosevelt NP as well, very cool seeing hoarses 3 feet infront of our car........

Also The Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone are worth the trip.  We went west summer of 09 & all of us (4 familes) put Yellowstone at the bottom of our list of National Parks. 

We stated at a KOA on the west side of Yellowstone, I can't remember it's name

We stayed at a campground near the Wisonsin Dells last Fall,  in Lake Delton, called Country Roads RV Park It was nice with full hookups and events at the camp store/actiivities building. When we went to Mount Rushmore. we stayed at Little Teepee Campground in Rapid City. a modest and affordable campground but clean with a friendly staff; and very convenient to all the sites. not all the sites had full hook-ups -- we had a site with electric and water only. but no problem, we used the campground bathhouse which was very clean and functional,  and dumped our tanks at their dump station before leaving. While in Rapid City, if you like horses, it's well worth the trip and admission to drive down the the Wild Horse Sanctuary to see herds of wild mustangs running free on the preserve. While you're at Yellowstone, I hope you're taking a tow vehicle. We didn't and we rented a car in the town of Yellowstone -- That is one massive huge, park, we put over a hundred miles on our rental car, just going around the park. We stayed at Fishing Bridge in the park and were disappoined by this concession-run RV park -- sites were crowded too close together,  sewer hook-ups were elevaed too high above ground and maeuvering around the camground was difficult, but the park itself was manificent, you quickly learn to share the roads with the herds of bison
You're welcome to look at the blog we kept of thewhole 6 month trip we made last summer. we hit so many great desitnations. I can't begin to recount them all www.greatrvescape.blogspot.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom