Painting plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreams

Emblem with raised letters on front and back of rv. Not sure what the number is for.
Need to repaint the white letters but unsure of what paint to use for plastic.

Attachments

• 20180112114731.jpg
    20180112114731.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 85
I've have seen paint made to be used on Plastic at Lowe's. I don't know if they have in a pint can. I used it in the spay cans. But any hardware store or paint shop should have something.

The number is an FMCA membership number, presumably the prior owner's membership number. Ace Hardware sells a paint called Fusion, made by Krylon, specifically for painting on plastic. It comes as a spray, but I'd spray into the cap and use a brush to pick up the paint. There are other paints that will work on plastic. Alternatively, remove the FMCA 'eggs' from the RV.

Since it's not your FMCA member number, I would remove it.  It will be held on with a couple of adhesive strips, so something like GooGone should loosen it. Or carefully slip a putty knife blade behind it.
I've used the Krylon Fusion that Tom suggests, multiple times.  It works quite well.

If you decide to remove the "Egg"... try a piece of Fishing Leader. Slip it behind the Egg.. and with a sawing motion.. cut thru the adhesive. Then use the Goo-Gone, or the like ?

Just another .03 ?

Joe

A little heat from a Hair Dryer helps too.

Another good solvent for removing sticky tape residue is Zippo lighter fluid.  I  bought mine from Publix.

Krylon Fusion paint is no longer available at any of my local stores, so I have to buy it online.

lynnmor said:
Krylon Fusion paint is no longer available at any of my local stores, so I have to buy it online.

Just a FYI....My local Walmart has the Fusion paint in stock.

Another idea that may work if you have something small to paint,is Testor's model paints.  It is made for plastic models,after all.  Comes in brush on or spray.  Walmart carries it.

Pugapooh said:
Another idea that may work if you have something small to paint,is Testor's model paints.  It is made for plastic models,after all.  Comes in brush on or spray.  Walmart carries it.

This is what I would use.  It's basically a lacquer, and sticks like crazy to MOST plastics. 

For a very bright white, I've also had luck with, believe it or not, Liquid Paper.  It's also a lacquer and is very durable.

I don't recommend Testors or most any other model or craft paint for exterior use. Most of them lack any UV or weather resistance and will discolor and/or chalk pretty quickly outdoors. White will turn gray, then brown.
There are a few acrylic craft paints nowadays that advertise UV resistance, if you can find them.

PopPop51 said:
I don't recommend Testors or most any other model or craft paint for exterior use. Most of them lack any UV or weather resistance and will discolor and/or chalk pretty quickly outdoors. White will turn gray, then brown.
There are a few acrylic craft paints nowadays that advertise UV resistance, if you can find them.

Ah!  An excellent point, and one I hadn't considered.  Looking back, I think most of my applications were indoors only.

Actually, most spray paints (rattle cans) are compatible with plastic, but the problem is the hardness and high gloss of many plastic surfaces.  A bit of effort with a synthetic wool pad, e.g. Scotchbrite or similar, will usually degloss it enough so the spray paint can stick reasonably well.  A commercial deglosser (liquid sandpaper) may also work.  Paints formulated for plastic probably have a solvent base that tries to etch the plastic a bit so the paint can adhere better. Lacquer thinner or MEK will do that for most plastics

To funny, all the suggestions on how to repaint someone else's FMCA oval left on the OPs coach. Even after he said he was taking it off. ::) ;D
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
To funny, all the suggestions on how to repaint someone else's FMCA oval left on the OPs coach. Even after he said he was taking it off. ::) ;D
Bill
LOL
Guilty as charged, and I knew it when I posted. Figured the topic is going to show up in searches forever, so we might as well flesh it out for those that find it later.

And some of us have way too much free time on our hands........So talking about something that will have no impact on the original posted question gives us something to do without causing to much harm.

I knew the OP was going to remove the plaque in question.  Maybe someone else will have a similar question.  Some of us try to file information for possible future use.  No harm in learning something new.

Now,if I may,craft stores often have outdoor paint in the craft paint section.  2 ounces usually and quite affordable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom