PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a note that I have heard from Park Superintendent Shannon Blalock.  She plans on meeting with us
for our first "Happy Hour" to say hello.  The construction on bridges 1, 2 and 6 is complete, the others
remain as low water crossings.  She says large RV's come and go without issues.

Again park reservations are not site specific, so if you want to park adjacent to your friends, be sure
and arrange to enter the park with them if at all possible.  It's first come, first served at the park. 

We will have a welcome kit for each coach.  We look forward to seeing you all in Palo Duro.

Larry, and the entire crew.

Sounds awesome Larry.  We are getting excited to see everyone again.

We have been in Moab for the past week and had mixed feelings, on one hand we are sad to not experience Moab with our friends but on the other we are excited to see a new state (to us anyways) and see all of our friends again.

On a side note, Portal is building another one of thoser large monstrosities again.  This time in site M-14, there are now five of them on the south east perimeter.  We did have almost the entire RV park to ourselves though.

Mike.

lucyakers said:
So sorry but Akers will have to cancel as well.

That's George & Lucy Akers

George & Lucy, sorry that you can't make it but we understand changing plans & schedules.
We hope to cross roads with you somewhere else.  Travel safe..

THE Big Larry

What is the road like down into the Canyon? I read things like twisty, sharp curves, and so forth. what can we expect...sorry it is the OCD in me that asks.

Oscar Mike said:
What is the road like down into the Canyon? I read things like twisty, sharp curves, and so forth. what can we expect...sorry it is the OCD in me that asks.

John, it's somewhat narrow and there are 2 sharp bends and it's at a significant grade.
Slow and steady and you will do fine.  Henry Wishard took his 40' Phaeton down into PDC,
and I plan to take my 42' Eagle down there as well.  There is no length restriction so as I
said, slow and steady and you will do fine.

See you down there ! ! !

Oscar Mike said:

Twist, sharp curves, and so forth :D  We disconnected our towed before going down but that's not strictly necessary unless you're really long.

So while we are talking length, would towing our enclosed trailer (72' OAL) be ill advised?  Maybe we should just flat tow the Jeep on this trip. 

Thoughts??

Mike.

Big Larry & Ned & Henry,

Our Monaco is actually 41 feet long.  It does NOT have independent front suspension.  It has a straight solid front axle and the wheels turn at each end of the axle; therefore, it does NOT turn quite as sharply as those MHs with independent front suspension. 

1.  What is your opinion?  Do you think we can negotiate the sharp TURNS??

2.  Is the road 2-lanes wide or is it a single lane road?

3.  Is the road paved or dirt?

I do not want to do any damage to the side of the coach.  Or, on the other hand, if we cannot negotiate a turn, without damage, what would you do.  At that point it would probably be IMPOSSIBLE to back up the road all the way to the top.

JerryF & ArdraF

Jerry,

You'll make it.  You might want to unhook the Jeep as we do our truck and drive them down separately.  The road is 2 lanes, but no shoulders as I recall.  Everyone takes it slow.  I also recall it was paved, as are all the roads in the park.

Unhooking the Jeep and driving them down separately is not an option for me on this trip. Susan will not be coming because of the business and her mother. I am hoping that my Winnebago Aspect will do the job. I'm a bit nervous about the road down into the Canyon.

How many miles is this road?

John, you won't have any problems.  It's not as bad as some make it sound and it's not that far.  Thousands of others have made it, and I don't know of any that didn't :)

Go to this Google map and you can follow the road all the way into the canyon.  If you view the map in Google Earth, there are numerous photos as well.

Ned said:
John, you won't have any problems.  It's not as bad as some make it sound and it's not that far.  Thousands of others have made it, and I don't know of any that didn't :)

Go to this Google map and you can follow the road all the way into the canyon.  If you view the map in Google Earth, there are numerous photos as well.

That's what I had guessed, I wouldn't be the first nor the last. If nothing else it adds a sense of adventure to the trip. I like it.

The map took some of the mystery away...

JerArdra said:
Big Larry & Ned & Henry,

Our Monaco is actually 41 feet long.  It does NOT have independent front suspension.  It has a straight solid front axle and the wheels turn at each end of the axle; therefore, it does NOT turn quite as sharply as those MHs with independent front suspension. 

1.  What is your opinion?  Do you think we can negotiate the sharp TURNS??

2.  Is the road 2-lanes wide or is it a single lane road?

3.  Is the road paved or dirt?

I do not want to do any damage to the side of the coach.  Or, on the other hand, if we cannot negotiate a turn, without damage, what would you do.  At that point it would probably be IMPOSSIBLE to back up the road all the way to the top.

JerryF & ArdraF

Jerry, It's really not a bit deal.  Just let Larry go first.  Have him call you when he's at the bottom of the hill.  ;D

The road into the canyon is about one mile.  The steep part is only about maybe a quarter of it.
Large coaches go in and out, the road is 2 lane and you can use all of it if you watch for oncoming
traffic.  I can't think anyone will have problems.  Mike Z. the trailer should follow you nicely.  We
will likely tow our Jeep down.  It is now much further behind the RV as we now have a Hydralift on
the back of our rig.

1. Beard - John & Susan          Oscar Mike
2. Beckers ? Gary & Darlene Becks
3. Bertram - Kim & Christi      Skyking4AR2 / Gypsy Feet
4. Brewer - Terry & Betty Betty Brewer
5. Brucker - Gary & Maria garyb1st
6. Dodd - Larry & Loretta        THE-Big Larry
7. Down - Ray & Liza Liza
8. Falchini - Steve & Dee        Steve N Dee
9. Ferguson - Gary & Coleen Taoshum
10. Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry JerArdra
11. Johnson, Susan and Don SaltyAdventurer
12. Kehler -  Fox & Cheryl         Sr. Fox
13. Kuch - Ken & Sheila Ken & Sheila
14. Lawrence - Mike & Wendy Wendy
15. Marabito - Ron & Shirley Ron from Big D
16. Maxwell - Bob         Bob Maxwell
17. Moser - Dave & Nancy          Gunny69
18. Nussbaumer - Larry and MaryAnn Larry N.
19. Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann gmsboss1 / Pelican Lady
20. Phillipus -Robin and Charles roadhappy
21. Reiter - Ned and Lorna          Ned
22. Sherow - Randy & Debbie    AZRandy1
23. Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga Silly Monkey (JanStiskala)
24. Stock - Dean and Linda Dean & Linda Stock
25. Weimert - Frank & Barb FrankW
26. White - Ernie & Tara         Ernie &Tara
27. Wishard - Henry & Margaret Henry Wishard
28. Zuech - Mike & Chrystal ZMOTORSPORTS (finally got it right)

CANCELLED: :  

Akers - George & Lucy    Lucyakers
Dane - Bill & Raymonda      llib enad
Norwood Bill & Joan         Bill N
Parks, Chet & Laurie
Schwarz ? Michael and Ellen  mrschwarz
Thomas - Fred and Daisy      fredthomas

As I have it, here is the list.  Barb Weimert has had some hand out bags for each of you
with visitor information in it.  Loretta and I have compiled a list of recommended restaurants
for you after some exhaustive eating to be sure of the quality.  Henry is working on setting up
a tour of the Alibates Flint Quarry, a historical site where native Americans quarried flint for
weapons.  This flint has been found throughout America and other countries.  It's an interesting
place.  We also hope to have a day of off road with a local Jeep club.  There are also lots of other
interesting things to do in and around Amarillo.  We even have a little opening ceremony that we
hope you will appreciate and enjoy.  We're looking forward to seeing you all in Texas ! ! ! !

We appreciate everything y'all are doing to ensure everyone has a great time!! 

Getting ready to take a couple of short trips to get back in the groove.

See ya soon
Robin and Charles

Agree with above comments thanking Larry and Henry for their work to get this rally organized.  Really appreciate it and looking forward to seeing some friends we met last year and meeting new ones this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom