Park Manager is adding a charge for 50 amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbo3107

The park manager is adding a 200 fee for 50 amp campers, there is no additional fee for 30 amp.
Does a 50 amp camper really use that much more? I only have 1 a/c and i'm thinking about using the pigtail and telling her i'm back to 30

Yes, or at least potentially. $2.00 is actually rather small - many parks get $3-$5 more. An extra KW/hr x 24 typically amounts to $4-$5 per day (power rates vary substantially by area), and a second a/c can easily consume that much in warmer weather.

If you plug to the 30A and can get by comfortably, that's the way to go.

I work for a enegery manager co  we are developing a system where the power use at each site can be metered and turned on off viea computer log in

I'm a seasonal camper in Northern Ohio. the campsite fees include electric. However this year she added the fee. It 200.00 not 2.00
I don't even use the air that much. That is why I was going to use the pigtail. The 30 amp people pay nothing extra

Many RV campgrounds have an upcharge for a 50 amp pedistal. How long is your season? The only way to figure out if it's fair is to break the season down into how many days, and divide that into the $200 charge to get the daily amount. Then you can decide if it's fair, or move sites. 

It might not be such a bad deal for an entire season. Many seasonal sites have meters and you pay for actual usage.

The real difference between 30A and 50A service is that 30A can only deliver 30 usable Amps total, while 50A can deliver 100 usable Amps total.

A 50A service is two legs of 50A each. Just over 3 times as much electricity.

Fulltimers RVs wired for 50A can have two or three ACs, A residential fridge, washer and dryer... so yeah, they use more than an RV with a limit of 30A total.

Ahhhh.... the trouble with an "all you can eat" plan.  No one has any incentive to be energy conscious if the price you pay is the same.  You should welcome the fee and just use what it sounds like you already use - 30 amps. 

OK, $200 per season divided by ?? days in the season. Still probably about $2/day or less.  It's entirely reasonable if you actually need/use for than 30A (3600 watts). If you don't, stick with a 30A site.

Don't be surprised if the park charges by the site capability rather than your pigtail size. The pigtails have a habit of disappearing after a week or two and the owner probably isn't going to come around for a pigtail inspection every week. If you are on a 50A site and have a 50A power cord, it is often assumed you will use 50A power.  Yeah, I know YOU wouldn't do that, but have a calm discussion with the owner/manager. He is the one whose money is at risk if somebody is less than totally ethical.

Easy answer. Based on the fact that you only have one A/C unit, which you seldom use, you don't need the 50 amp service. So just use the 30 amp service and avoid the extra fee.

I suppose one could also look at it from the perspective of the class C or B or in some areas even popups or tenters, who look over at the 45 foot long 3AC units, 2 bathroom diesel coaches and realize they are paying the same daily fee.

Wide differences in power consumption is the reason that most monthly and seasonal sites have metered power rather than flat rate. It's the most equitable way to match costs to consumption, but it's expensive for the campground to install meters and then read and bill every month. And not very practical at all for daily use rates. If the site doesn't have metering, either the campground owner has to charge everybody the same price or come up with some other criteria for assessing power costs.

The OP asked if 50A rigs use more power than 30A, and the answer is that the majority of them do. It is equally true that 30A rigs mostly use more power than most pop-ups, which may have only a 15A plug and no a/c at all.

RVers often fail to realize how much power costs affect campground rates.  Campgrounds often have monthly power costs that run to $20k. 50 campsites using a mere 4 KWH per day each still adds up to as much daily power as some homes use in an entire month. A 50A RV with 2 a/c plus fridge & water heater on electric can easily use 35-40 KWH each day in warm weather.

Like Gary said. I have been in many campgrounds that don't charge for electricity on a daily rate but anything over a week you are on a meter. I have been in places where you payed a deposit for electric service when you checked in and they read the meter when you were checking out. I am kind of surprised you have a "seasonal" site and arn't on a meter.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom