Parking wothout leveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brclark82

I have a 32’ travel trailer with 3 slides covering pretty much the entire length of the trailer all on the driver’s side.

I have to be about 3 inches off level to end up level after the slides are out. We camp almost every weekend so usually only 4-5 days at home.

My question is this: is it ok to not level the camper for the 4-5 days it’s at home and also leave it connected to the truck with the slides out? The driveway is pretty level meaning the camper has a noticeable tilt to the driver’s side when not accounted for.

Thoughts?

As long as the refer is off. Refer level is your biggest concern. If I remember correctly Dometic says no more than 5 degrees off level to run their refees without damage.

3" off level end to end.. how are you even going to notice? That will not be a problem. 3" side to side you might notice but it's still not a problem.

Yes I am referring to side to side and I can definitely tell. The refer is a 12v only residential type that doesn’t need to be level.

I guess my main concern was twisting of the frame of the trailer. I feel like the big middle slide that’s probably 15’ long is going to just tear off the side of my camper one of these times. But I’m guessing that’s just me not being used to a slide that large.

If you are still concerned, just cut a piece of 2X10 about 5’ long and just back onto it. That will take away 1/2 of the 3”.

Yeah, the easy answer here is just at least somewhat level the damn thing. The issue is sometimes we don’t get back until late Monday evening and then I’m at work Tuesday early and the wife wants to be able to open the slides and clean and unpack.
I appreciate the insight 👍🏼

Expanding on Rene's suggestion, it might be worth adding some gravel or dirt to permanently raise the "low" side the 3" needed to be about level with the slides open. Then all you need to do is back in when you get home.

That’s OK if it’s still gravel but not so pretty if the driveway is paved or concrete which I assume it is one of these two.

I gather your trailer doesn't have stabilizer jacks? Or they aren't deployed? I've owned three RVs with 14+ ft slides and they didn't tilt noticeably when the slides were deployed. And if there are slides on both sides, wouldn't they balance out anyway?

In any case, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Leveling those 3" isn't going to change the leverage of the slide on the walls much at all, so it's either OK as is, or not.

[QUOTE="Gary RV_Wizard, post: 1226339, member: And if there are slides on both sides, wouldn't they balance out anyway?

[/QUOTE]

Gary, he said he had three slides and they are all on the drivers side

I do have electric stabilizer jacks that are easy to deploy but I have been waiting until the slides are out to deploy them.

My thinking is that it may put too much pressure on the stabilizer of it already has weight on it before I put the slides out.

Am I being too cautious and just try stabilizing the trailer and then moving the slides and see if it alleviates any of the leaning?

I do have electric stabilizer jacks that are easy to deploy but I have been waiting until the slides are out to deploy them.

My thinking is that it may put too much pressure on the stabilizer of it already has weight on it before I put the slides out.

Am I being too cautious and just try stabilizing the trailer and then moving the slides and see if it alleviates any of the leaning?
I would suggest engaging the stabilizers first.

I have a 32’ travel trailer with 3 slides covering pretty much the entire length of the trailer all on the driver’s side.

I have to be about 3 inches off level to end up level after the slides are out. We camp almost every weekend so usually only 4-5 days at home.

My question is this: is it ok to not level the camper for the 4-5 days it’s at home and also leave it connected to the truck with the slides out? The driveway is pretty level meaning the camper has a noticeable tilt to the driver’s side when not accounted for.

Thoughts?

its no issue to be concern about even with RV refigerators thats almost considered to perfectly level

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom