Passports required to Canada/Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We haven't applied and have no intention of doing so. There is way too much to see and do in US. We don't have any desire to go to Mexico (been there, done that); Alaska (been there done that too with the military). Canada --- refer to the second sentence, but that is not to say that in the future, we would consider it once uncle sam figures out that a Notorized US Birth Certificate (me), or Naturalization papers (wife) along with AF Retired Military ID Cards are pretty dxxxxx good indicators of your citizenship and of who you are!

I know of a couple of public parks in LA where you can contact a sales agent who can provide you with a complete set of all those documents for a reasonable price.  Maybe not the military ID, tho if there were a significant demand, I am sure that the market would provide such.  8)

My understanding is that for ground travel, Due to the flood of applications the state department has been hit with.  They have suspended the requirement for a period of time.. I stress that it is my understanding.. I'm not planing on crossing any national borders for a while.

scottydl said:
I do agree with you here, but the circumstances of my upcoming motorhome purchase will have me less than 10 miles from Niagra Falls.  And I hear the Ontario side is much more notable than the New York side, which is why I started asking about this initially.  Once we get home from this pickup however, the majority of our camping time will be within home-sweet-Illinois.  Eventually we might venture out to some other states.  ;)

The requirement for a passport IF YOU ARE DRIVING OR WALKING across doesn't go into effect until January 2008.

And - - - they, the powers that be in Washington tell us that they will be able to run background checks and legalize 12 million illegal aliens overnight. Uh - yup, I believe that one!

I refuse to call them immigrants, they are illegal aliens.

For the record, I have nothing against our neighbors to the south. I lived in Mexico for seven years and loved it. I just believe all immigrants should do it legally the same as my parents did. (And don't bring with them what they are trying to get away from!).

I have to agree with Don Miller.  We tend to do things to ourselves and then blame the government for our screwups.  We had warnings this was going to happen two years ago.  Fred and I had let our passports lapse for ten years, because we didn't think we'd ever need them again, as we had no more plans to go to Europe.  When all this chatter started up again, we went to the Post Office to apply for renewals.  Luckily, for some dumb reason, (smart as it turns out to be) we still had our old passports.  We just checked the box for renewal, but in the old numbers and were granted new ones in a few short weeks.  This was well over a year ago, because we thought we'd be needing them by now to get into Canada or Mexico, which is still an option for us in the future. 

Procrastination is our country's biggest hangup.  Look how long it takes some people to register to vote!!  Though our government does move in excruciatingly slow paces, I can't see that the American people move much faster...................... except maybe to gripe.  Thank goodness we can still do that.

Daisy

Will do Scotty, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: The library article has been updates.

There was an article in the LA Times yesterday. The US may not be required passports to re-enter just yet, but Mexico is requiring notarized birth certificates in the absence of passport or US naturalization papers to enter Mexico beyond the frontier zone.  See the article HERE.

Back
Top Bottom