Password Managers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use unique-to-each-account randomly generated passwords, 2-factor authentication, etc., to protect my online accounts. Of course, such a system cannot possibly be merely remembered (at least not by me).

However, it seems to me to be a bad idea to keep all of those passwords in online storage somewhere or controlled by some app under the "We promise you we are secure" notion.

So, I keep all of my passwords in a spreadsheet, protected by a password, and then encrypted using a non-Windows-based encryption algorithm (AES-256), and THEN stored on the cloud. The entire protection process is under my control and not dependent on the promises of others.

I know that is far too inconvenient for most people, through.

I use Google Chrome, for all our business and medical stuff and save all PWs there. I only use chrome for business and medical and finance applications.
For recreational browsing, like this Forum, I use Brave.
For Facebook and some other such stuff, I use FireFox where each app can be fenced off from the others. They can save passwords, as well. And the browsers have a secure password manager, where, should I feel the need, I can see any of my passwords, should I need to do so.

Chrome hasn't lost a PW in the last 10 years.

Coming from a computer background there are three things I trust the least.

One is any program designed to keep passwords which has to be the biggest target for hackers. I used to allow my iPhone to store financial passwords but Apple got hacked.

Second is storing any private info in the cloud or anywhere on-line. A PC can be configured to have multiple layers of encryption and permissions.

Third is using credit cards online. I will pay more to a website that uses PayPal, Apple Pay, or Google Pay because my credit card is never exposed to the vendor. Plus they add some consumer and fraudulent protection. Vendors with a bad reputation will lose their account.

Paper is the most secure but the most secure digital storage is a password protected USB flash drive with 256 bit encryption that is only plugged in when needed.

Password managers have been hacked. Anything in the cloud can be hacked. The cloud is nothing more than someone else's computer. So as you can see I don't have a lot of trust for 'them'. I worked in an ultra secure medical information database. One of the hats I wore was "Security Administrator". Good think I'm an honest guy.

I keep my passwords stored in an encrypted excel spreadsheet on my iPad with a backup on my personal computer in an encrypted container. I always use 2FA, complex passwords generated by my own design.

Nothing goes in the cloud.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom