PCs in RVs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have an I Mac with no problems during the six months a year we travel.  We unplug it and put it on the bed when traveling. No problems, we also have two HP laptops and a MacBook Air. We carry a printer as we do some work during the travels.  The wi-fi is probably the biggest problem.  We tend to look for a site next to the campground towers, but quality varies from one campground to the next.  When trouble we hotspot with our cellphone $$$$$

Mine stays connected all the time, though powered off. Our inverter is always on, so the PC has power available and I may boot it up during a lunch stop, or if we want to consult a big map pr do some extensive searching. The big screen makes it so much easier than doing the same on a phone or tablet.

My 71 year-old eyes love that BIG screen!

Gary RV Roamer said:
My 71 year-old eyes love that BIG screen!

I have an Intel Compute Stick plugged into our 50" TV, You'd love that screen :)

MN Blue Skies said:
Thanks TCRLS,

Thanks for the link.  We've been thinking about getting a tablet and the Surface Pro 3 is on our short list.  While we've been thinking several other powerful tablets have been been introduced.

We had an Android tablet prior to this one and this Windows based tablet is so much better in terms of usability. 

T

We didn't notice any huge difference between the two and I find the Win tablet so much better than the Apple products IMHO.

The ones I was looking at started at nearly $1800.  Personally I'd look at other brands of Windows tablets before I spent that much.  Or a convertible laptop.

Wow.  Where did you look?  I paid $650 plus $100 for the keyboard CDN.  That is significantly cheaper than an iPad.

T

Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Intel-Core/dp/B01606MZ8W/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455332070&sr=1-5&keywords=surface+pro+4

That's not even the most expensive one!  Yikes.

Lol.  Core i7 with 256GB HD 16GB RAM.  iPad doesn't even offer a 256GB tablet.

If you want to compare apples to apples :) the Surface tablet with 128GB HD is $799.  The iPad with 128GB HD is $1249.

T

TCRLS said:
Lol.  Core i7 with 256GB HD 16GB RAM.  iPad doesn't even offer a 256GB tablet.

If you want to compare apples to apples :) the Surface tablet with 128GB HD is $799.  The iPad with 128GB HD is $1249.

T

I was not offering a comparison.  Nor am I an Apple fanboy, even though we have a bunch of them.  Nor a fanboy of any other particular hardware/OS.  Whatever gets the job done.

My favorite toy right now is a $64 (complete system) Raspberry Pi running Linux and OpenELEC.

I wasn't drawing anyone a fanboy.  It was in response to your comment that Surface tablet prices were so high they made iPads look reasonable.  I was merely showing that isn't the case when compared side by side.

Each to their own.

MuddyPaws,  I think you were pricing one of the Surface Pro 4s.  Anyhow I think we might have wandered off the OPs question a little. 

Anyhow I think we might have wandered off the OPs question a little.

Its ok, my question was answered a long time ago. The rest has just been added information. :)

Another thing to consider before selecting a tablet is it's repairability.  iPad and Surface tablets are notoriously difficult and expensive to repair.  Replacing the battery in an iPad runs about $75 just for labor (last time I looked). Crack the screen and you can count on several hundred bucks flying out of your wallet.  On the other hand they are remarkably tough.  I've dropped my iPad onto tile flooring from counter height more than once and it's still working.  The MacBook Air is as solid as a brick!  I won't even guess how many times my DW has dropped it.  The two most common problems with tablets are cracked screens and water damage. 

A good source for repairability scores is www.ifixit.com.  They also have step by step instructions, tools etc.

Looking at it from that direction perhaps a desktop (even an SFF) with external display/keyboard/mouse is superior.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
I was starting to think I was the only former Commodore 64 user left!

I'm old enough,  but I had an Atari 800XL. It was a better computer,  just didn't have the marketing the Commodore had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom