Peanut Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give me a spoon and any peanut butter will do.
Add some chocolate to the peanut butter and I will follow you anywhere.

We alternate between smooth or crunchy, but we have to bring ours down from Canada.  Can't find decent PB here in Florida, we eat Kraft PB, but nowhere to be found here.  I like it best on Montreal Bagel with our own homemade jam on top.

Ed

Trader Joe's  Smooth!  Why?  It's  great tasting and the only peanut butter available  in Indy that has natural oils and isn't made with palm oil.  I'm very allergic to palm oil, palmitate, etc. --  you don't want to know what happens in digestive allergies.  Probably economics, but why do food manufacturers remove the natural peanut oil and replace it with palm, soy, or cottonseed oil?  Hope I'll be able to find PB on the road WITHOUT palm oil!

Hi Gator and all,

Do they make almond butter? They make almond butter better. They have the easy pay plan for those traveling in an RV.  ;D

Actually, my wife is the peanut butter aficionado. I sometimes indulge.

camperAL said:
Hi Gator and all,

Do they make almond butter? They make almond butter better. They have the easy pay plan for those traveling in an RV.  ;D

Actually, my wife is the peanut butter aficionado. I sometimes indulge.

Reading through the posts I found that I made a terrible mistake. I meant to say do they make chunky almond butter? I have not seen it.

Man it is tough to inject politics, guns or religion into a peanut butter thread.  For the record, it's chunky for us.

The use of peanuts dates to the Aztecs and Incas,[3][4] and peanut paste may have been used by the Aztecs as a toothache remedy in the first century of the Common Era (CE).[5][6]

Marcellus Gilmore Edson (1849 ? 1940) of Montreal, Canada obtained a patent for peanut butter in 1884.[7] Edson's cooled product had "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment" according to his patent application which described a process of milling roasted peanuts until the peanuts reached "a fluid or semi-fluid state". He mixed sugar into the paste to harden its consistency. A businessperson from St. Louis named George Bayle produced and sold peanut butter in the form of a snack food in 1894.[8]

John Harvey Kellogg, known for his line of prepared breakfast cereals, was issued a patent for a "Process of Producing Alimentary Products" in 1898, and used peanuts, although he boiled the peanuts rather than roasting them.[9] Kellogg's Western Health Reform Institute served peanut butter to patients because they needed a food that contained a lot of protein, yet which could be eaten without chewing.[8] At first, peanut butter was a food for wealthy people, as it became popular initially as a product served at expensive health care institutes.[8]

A Meal Ready to Eat or "MRE kit" which contains peanut butter packets.
Early peanut-butter-making machines were developed by Joseph Lambert, who had worked at John Harvey Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium, and Dr. Ambrose Straub who obtained a patent for a peanut-butter-making machine in 1903.[6][10] "In 1922, chemist Joseph Rosefield invented a process for making smooth peanut butter that kept the oil from separating by using partially hydrogenated oil"; Rosefield "...licensed his invention to the company that created Peter Pan peanut butter" in 1928 and in "...1932 he began producing his own peanut butter under the name Skippy".[6] Under the Skippy brand, Rosefield developed a new method of churning creamy peanut butter, giving it a smoother consistency. He also mixed fragments of peanut into peanut butter, creating the first "chunky"-style peanut butter.[8] In 1955, Procter & Gamble launched a peanut butter named Jif, which was sweeter than other brands, due to the use of "sugar and molasses" in its recipe.[8]

As the US National Peanut Board confirms, "Contrary to popular belief, George Washington Carver did not invent peanut butter."[11] Carver was given credit in popular folklore for many inventions that did not come out of his lab. By the time Carver published his document about peanuts, entitled "How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it For Human Consumption" in 1916,[12] many methods of preparation of peanut butter had been developed or patented by various pharmacists, doctors and food scientists working in the US and Canada.[13][14][10] January 24 is National Peanut Butter Day in the United States.[15]

Utclmjmpr said:
  Adams 100% natural CRUNCHY,,,no preservatives or other crap. You have to stir it to mix evenly, then enjoy
8) No other kind in this house, I really like it in a sandwich with honey. DW loved it with banana but I find that combo too hard to swallow without a big glass of milk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom