Peeling clear coat on trailer wheel skirt - how to repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

2015 Grand Design 27RL. There is a molded piece of plastic on the side at the wheel wells. On one side the clear coat is peeling.

looking for advice on how to fix this. Removing clear coat is fine, no clear coat would look better than what I got now.

thx to anyone offering advice.

Hire an auto body or boat fiberglass repair shop to refinish the splash guard. Remove the screws and take it to their location. Otherwise if you do the job, it might look like you did the job.

For me, painted or clear coated plastic on 9 year old trailer, I'd probably wire brush old off, spray new on. Depends how important or how bad it looks. I also find a protectant called 303 seems to really help preserve plastics and decals.

This would cost hundreds of dollars to repaint to match. My guess is the paint they used was the same stuff they paint everything else with and not necessarily compatible with the plastic or fiberglass of the wheel skirt. A good paint shop will know what formulation to use and can color match but at a price. My take on stuff like that is if you can't hide it, flaunt it. Pick a contrasting or complementary color to the body and paint it with that yourself using off the shelf enamel. It won't be OEM but this thing isn't entering a contest or museum, it just needs to look nice. No one will notice or care if it looks well done.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Very fine sandpaper, Google up or YT how to repair clear coat. After cleaning and feathering you can reapply clear coat with a rattle can.

Back
Top Bottom