PEX piping question for plumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Will PEX piping and fittings like "Shark bite" break or crack if they have water in them and freeze ?

Jack L

Yes.
Will PEX break or split if it freezes?

Probably not. Manufacturers are reluctant to say so, but reports from the field suggest PEX can withstand freezing. You should still protect the tubing from freezing, but since it can expand and contract, it's less likely to break than rigid piping.

Read more: http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/pex-piping-everything-you-need-to-know/view-all#ixzz3XHJT8nYN

Pex piping no.. Some of the fittings yes.. Not sure about Sharkbite but the ones the factory installs are hard plastic and can crack.

Have frozen pex a few times..... Had to replace one fitting...Now have aux heat where the fittings live.

In my experience, both PEX and Sharkbite fitting s are pretty hardy overall (have used both in freeze-prone areas of cottage and RV). PEX will expand somewhat if water freezes in it, but repeated freeze/thaw cycles are likely to cause a break. I have also hear of Sharkbite type fittings being pushed off the ends of pipes that freeze, but have not experienced this firsthand.

I think the correct approach is to use them, but take the same care with your winterizing procedures as you woudl for copper tubing and soldered connections. Always best to avoid freezing any plumbing.

do you guys using Pex Tee Compression Fitting or Pinch Clamp Crimp Fitting? planning to re-do all the plumbing in the RV

do you guys using Pex Tee Compression Fitting or Pinch Clamp Crimp Fitting?

?? Not sure what the question is...

I've pretty much given up on crimp fittings cause push-to-fit and compression, e.g. Flair-it, work so well on pex and the old polybutyl pipe. I've replaced a lot of the old polybutyl in my stick house and use either Flair-it or Blue Hawk (Lowes house brand) push fittings exclusively.

Gary RV Roamer said:
?? Not sure what the question is...

I've pretty much given up on crimp fittings cause push-to-fit and compression, e.g. Flair-it, work so well on pex and the old polybutyl pipe. I've replaced a lot of the old polybutyl in my stick house and use either Flair-it or Blue Hawk (Lowes house brand) push fittings exclusively.

yep, that was the question! do you think those push-to-fit will handle RV vibrations well?

absolutely.    I started as a plumber north of the mason Dixon line. And we used copper. Moved to VA. And pex is king here.    I seen more frozen pex pipes hear then I ever seen copper lined  frozen up north..  It almost always the fitting that go first on pex lines.  The plastic fitting are way worse

robertusa123 said:
absolutely.    I started as a plumber north of the mason Dixon line. And we used copper. Moved to VA. And pex is king here.    I seen more frozen pex pipes hear then I ever seen copper lined  frozen up north..  It almost always the fitting that go first on pex lines.  The plastic fitting are way worse

are you saying that  plastic push-to-fit fittings are not good for RV? at least in terms of freezing

Yes.  Any fitting is the week point.    Pex pipe is flexible  and can take a freeze.  But plastic fitting are made of hard plastic. And will split.   

robertusa123 said:
Yes.  Any fitting is the week point.    Pex pipe is flexible  and can take a freeze.  But plastic fitting are made of hard plastic. And will split.   

does that mean metal fittings are better and will jsut push the water to the pipe which can handle it? or would you say i can turn the pipe 90 degrees without fitting at all and just put something to prevent it from breaking but still keep that 90 deg turn?

I can turn a pine in a house where I have a lot of room.  They also make sheet metal clips that turn the pipe with out kinking it.  About a 6 inch radius.    But you will need a fitting for a hard 90    brass is best.  But its a myth that pex isn't vulnerable to freeze damage....  That's why its so important to winterorize a rv.   

Both the pipe and the fittings are vulnerable to freezing, whether pex & push fittings, or more traditional materials. Pex is more forgiving than polybutyl or PVC or even copper, but it ain't bulletproof.

I had a Pex hot water line freeze and split on a feed to a shower which is over the garage. I took a shower in the opposite end of the house and walked into the garage with water and drywall raining down. The Pex that split was against the vent stack and the outside temperature was about -10 F which is unusual for the Kansas City area. The house was built in 1998 and the split happened around 2006.

I also had another piece of Pex split in the heated but unfinished basement about 2008. This piece had a paint or maybe other chemical smear where it split.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom