Physical exercise suggestions requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Admiral and I walk, and I use two ten pound little dumbbells.  I originally got the dumbbells to improve my golf game.  But I discovered daily exercise with them does wonders for the upper body.  I swear by them now.  The Admiral won't touch them though.

2real, I just reread all of the posts and have decided I fee off of the wagon.  I am going to start tomorrow!  I was wondering how your program is going?  Anything beneficial in here?  I skate a lot and that really helps but that is getting to be my only exercise this winter and i need to get into other workouts.  Good luck,
Phil

I've also seen ads some places for plastic "weights" that you fill with water to create a weight as heavy as you want - at least within the limits of the item.  They collapse down to nothing to fold away for storage and travel.

Wendy

Mike in Arkansas said:
We've been trying to figure out whether to keep our fitness center membership or not.

You might also ask them if they have reciprocal arrangements with clubs in other areas.  You can usually use such facilities at no or little cost.

Wendy

You can do some resistance training at home. I use some resistance bands and sliders for ABS workout at home. They are from Toplus, cheap and they help a lot. You can find a lot on Amazon. And the workout doesn't need much space.

Judy and I both carry one set of dumbbells each. Select a weight that fits you and use them. We also walk, hike and bike as time permits.
It's a part of our daily routine. Well, most days! 8)

Shayne said:
I've had 3 phyical fanatics, in perfect shape die this past year.  End result is they Died healthy.  With all the problems I've had over the years I hardly exercise.  figure all those extra steps I'm saving for later on.

This is a fair point to contemplate.  None of know what the future holds for us and I might not make it until tonight.

I have been thin and healthy (completed both a marathon in 4 hours which isn't fast and a 101 mile bike race - also slowly a little over 12.5 hours).  And I have let my body go which is what I am clawing my way back from right now.  I am talking about a 75 pound swing.  Augh!!

Where I landed is that I simply feel so much better thin than fat that the lifestyle is worth it.  So I may not live another day but the quality of life will be much higher.  There are no young ladies I am trying to impress here but it sure is nice to maneuver with a fraction of the effort.  Also, ever hear of a heavy person complain about their joints?  I am getting that.  Augh again!!

Now here's the cherry on top - I probably will live longer.  Cardiovascular risks drop dramatically, diabetes risk drops and on and on.

However Shayne is right - There are healthy people that die young - That sucks.  (Dying old sucks too).  Someone in their 60's though may have died much younger.  We just don't know?

I am not a Doctor, I just know it sucks when your gut makes it tough to tie your shoes and it feels so awesome to finish a marathon.  One other thought - I was fishing a wire through the RV this weekend which required a lot of awkward positions.  That sucked.  It reinvigorated me to double down on the weight loss.

My wife has been pretty successful at maintaining her preferred weight with mild exercise and eating sensibly, but I need more exercise than she does. I either walk or use Leslie Sansone videos to put in 2-4 miles/day as often as possible. I also do daily push ups, toe touches, and squats. A basic "eat less/exercise more" program was responsible for a 90 lb weight loss several years ago, and now at age 75, I've slacked off some to maintain my weight at 175. I was down to 155 at one point, but I wasn't comfortable at that weight and got tired of friends asking if I was sick, so I let it slide back up to where I am now. Exercising while full time RV'ing isn't always easy, but it is doable with a little effort and adaptation.

There is a phone app called 7 Minute Workout that takes you through body weight exercises for all your muscle groups in as few as 7 minutes. One of these days, I'll be able to get through the whole thing in one try! It is vigorous, and you feel like you have had a great workout. Not for everyone, but I like the fact that it requires no equipment and can be done in a small space. DW and I do a lot of hiking/walking when we are camping, too.

Hi,

Last couple days I've both walked 7 miles one day and rode a peddle bike (left the electric bike at home) for 15 miles. If we are not RV'n and at home does that count? I like to find places to walk when traveling. Malls are good places to walk and see things. Just keep moving.

Back
Top Bottom