Picking a route for a 3-week trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suggest that you find a place where you can get a good rental price and then go to the websites for the surrounding states.  They (the web sites) will list many attractions and give locations. You should keep in mind that gas prices might be close to $4.00/gal and the RV you rent will probably get around 6-9 miles per gallon. With a family of 5 (3 boys) it may be difficult to keep their attention span in a positive mode on long trips to the various sites. You also need to consider a RV of an adequate size for your size family. You probably would do well to plan not more that 100-200 miles a day (Max) if you go from one attraction to another. You should consider the fact that with a rental unit you will not have the mobility that having a separate vehicle (towed vehicle) when touring. Some campgrounds have groceries but they are usually limited and if you have to go out to eat you will need to disconnect the RV and drive it to find a restaurant. This is not to say it can not or should not be done, but only that you need to consider a lot of things before you make decisions. Careful planning (including everyone on the planning) can make for a great experience that everyone will remember for a long time.

Happy trails to you....................

Adam Klin-Oron said:
Personally, by the way, the scenery on the the Salt Lake City - Las Vegas sounds amazing to me. But I'm afraid it'll be too hot in August. We're from Israel, so used to warm weather, but without the constant respite of a pool/beach or a strong AC, it can be quite harrowing.
Las Vegas will be too hot for a motorhome but SLC will be just fine. I suggest flying into SLC and picking up a rental there, then head for Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country, great weather and lots to see and do.

The shock and awe trip would be to places like Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore,  and all the other places around Rapid City, South Dakota.  You could fly into Denver, Colorado and work your way to the other states/places.  Colorado has some interesting places to visit.

Since you started by asking about the east coast, you could fly into Atlanta, Georgia and head north to northwest North Carolina,  eastern Tennessee, and southwest part of Virginia.  You will find lots of nice scenery, streams, forests, wildlife, attractions, small-town museums, fairs and markets.  Right off the bat you can knock off the amusement park by doing Six Flags in Atlanta. 

Suggest that you browse around each state's tourist website to help discover the attractions and tourist venues that are available.  Here are just two: of the many:    http://www.tnvacation.com/guide/electronic/?success=1#form    and  http://www.travelsd.com/?gclid=CIWg1ez6wb0CFenm7AodHFwAJg

I would go west.  Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, and the Black Hills.  Very hard to find anything more beautiful than that.  Fishing, Hiking, whitewater rafting, float trips and a whole other mess of things to do. Looking for wolves and grizzlies is fun too.  Lots of cool small towns to see in between as well.  Make up your mind and we can help you alot more!

I just wanted to thank everybody for their kind and helpful ideas. As the Black Hilla may be too crowded, we're leaning towards the West coast (especially the California-Oregaon-Washington trip) - but we'll take a few weeks to make up our minds, and then I'll come back for more specific advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom