Picture Requirement Fair or Unfair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have noticed, in my travels both before and after going full time, that some jobs tend to be filled by "Beautiful people" as it were,  In many cases these folks have more beauty than brains, in some cases they actually know how to do their job.  But still looks are often more important to Human Resources than brains... (I am kind of the other way around).

Same with the RV,, I have seen several RV parks that have so much business that if your rig is not "Beautiful" they do not want to let you park there... Some of the parks with, for example, 10 year rules,,, are kind of junky when it comes to the park property (But all the rigs are new and good looking) Covered wagon on Bolder Hwy in Las Vegas or Henderson (not sure where the city limit is ) for example.

In some cases.. Epically the demand you send a photo of you.... I kind of wonder if it's legal.  But I am not an attorney.. Just a former union steward and officer...  So "Wonder" is the best I can do..  A labor relations attorney might be able to get you paid even if you did not get the job.. But then he's gonna need to get paid as well.

Around here we have basically 3 park rangers
1: Doubles as park manager
1: Does only Ranger duties and is really the assistant park manager even if she has not the title
1: Ranger/Housekeeper.. Now she is a good looking young lady (Married) her Hubby is a park handyman  (#2's hubby sometimes helps with handyman duties when his primary job (OTR Semi) does not need his attention)

You can get a large charge out of #2's hubby though.. He tows mobile power plants to stores where power has been lost due to storms.. IE: Home Depot type stores.. Very important for them to be open following a Himicane so people can board up.

As an alternative to a photo, would you be happier if they required a face to face interview...?

Face to face is standard practice for most jobs and no one hesitates for a moment. 

Keep in mind these are generally low paying hourly jobs and the cost to fly someone in for an interview is not feasible.  So...they ask for a photo.  If you don't like it, don't apply.

Chipmonk Chaser - As for a photo of the rig, they want to know what it looks like, not how much you spent.  It isn't an income competition.  If I ran a park I would much rather have a clean, well maintained 5 year old Jayco TT on my lot than a year old $2M Prevost that was dirty, beat to hell and had a graphic of a half nude lady painted on the side. 

dante2004 said:
Stop looking for "discrimination"...there are plenty of other legitimate reasons why they want to see a photo that have nothing to do with race/gender/age.

If I were to hire someone to represent my business, I want to see what kind of an image they portray.  For workcamping...that would include their rig since it will be sitting on my property.

People often lose sight of the fact that it's only discrimination from a legal perspective if a hiring decision is based on sex, race, religion, etc. It is perfectly acceptable to make a decision based, for example, on whether or not the person has tattoos or piercings.

Years ago when one of my sons was a teenager, he wanted to get an earring.  I told him that I had no problem with his doing so, but he should recognize that someday he may have to interview for a job with an old fart like me who might hire the candidate without an earring in preference to him.  He never did get that earring and, these days, that probably no longer would matter, but other aspects of appearance can still make a difference.

Joel

I don't care if someone is white, black, brown, purple, or green, man or woman, young or old. 

If I were hiring you to work with the public, I'd want to see you projecting an image that would be in line with the image I want to project of my park.  If you're smiling and look friendly and neighborly, I'd want you. 
If you look grumpy and mean and like the kind of neighbor I'd want a 10' fence between us just to minimize interaction?  I would probably look to the next applicant.

Blue Skies, I said " ..."normal" looking for the place I was hiring for..." If I was hiring for a biker bar, "normal" would be far different than if I was hiring for a bank.

It is perfectly acceptable to make a decision based, for example, on whether or not the person has tattoos or piercings.

Right. Until the person claims those tattoos are a matter of profound personal belief on his (or her) part. Or says his civil rights are being violated because he has an inalienable right to express himself via his body art. Or whatever.

[Sigh] I apologize for going done this road at all. Mea culpa. I'll stop now.  :-[

I believe that it was Fox News that reported a few days ago that 58 percent of Americans have a tattoo. They went on to say that to achieve such a percentage means that virtually every adult under 40 has a tattoo. If so, the hiring officers of tomorrow will have different criteria for hiring front desk employees for their businesses.

I have a tattoo.  It's old, older than me. :)  One of those silly "on the way home from boot camp bus layovers with a tattoo shop next door to the bus station at 1 am and time to kill" tattoos.  It's on my left forearm and it didn't take me long to regret it.  But, at least I was smart enough to not get one on an earlobe or somewhere always in view and when interviewing for a job in a suit and long sleeve dress shirt, never posed a threat.  The one thing I wonder about, however, is how grandma is going to explain that dragon tattoo on her back with talon tipped arms reaching around grabbing "parts unknown" to her grandkids.

Quillback 424 said:
I believe that it was Fox News that reported a few days ago that 58 percent of Americans have a tattoo. They went on to say that to achieve such a percentage means that virtually every adult under 40 has a tattoo. If so, the hiring officers of tomorrow will have different criteria for hiring front desk employees for their businesses.

I think the Fox story was that 45 million people have tatoos.  Assuming that is correct, it would be ~14% of the population, not 58%.  Here's a link: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25397381/interest-in-ink-flourishes-as-tattoo-taboos-fade

The Fox national news that I was referring to did not give a reference for their numbers and I noticed that Fox 13 that you referenced didn't either. Must be lots of folks with them though.

It appears that a Harris Poll of 2016 adult Americans taken between 1/16 & 1/23, 2012 is the reference for many of the recent reports on tattoos. Harris states in that poll that 21 percent of adults report they have a tattoo which is up from 14 percent in 2008.

Guess this means one should not believe everything they hear... or read.

Back
Top Bottom