pilot for hot water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weitekampt

I am having problems with my hot water heater pilot not staying lit.  It takes a while to get it to stay lit initially, but it does take after 30 seconds or more.  My big question is why does it keep going out?  I can light it, it will heat the water, but hours later when we want to wash dishes the water is cold again.  I have to get back out and re-light the pilot. 

I do not have a electronic ignitor.  It is probably the original gas valve for the trailer which is a 1993.  Do you think I have a gas valve problem back by the heater.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Todd

First thing to suspect is the thermocouple and crud on it.  Clean it with a manicure emry board.  If that does not work, replace thermocouple -- kits are sold in most RV stores and are cheap.  If that fails, replace the valve.

I doubt if it is a gas valve problem - those are fairly rare. You may have a flame sensor problem, though. There is a thermistor that senses that the pilot is lit, which then allows the gas valve to stay open. If the controller does not sense a pilot flame, it shuts the gas valve off. My guess is that your flame sensor is failing or (more likely) its wire connection to the controller circuit board is corroded. The signal from the sensor is very weak, so it doesn't take much to stop it. Find the sensor and clean the connections on the wire on both ends (a pencil eraser works pretty good).

What make and model of heater do you have? We might be more specific with that information. Atwood or Suburban?  Model #?

It may just be blowing out from the wind.  As I recall, when I had one with a pilot lite, it had an adjustment that could increase the flame a little.  Dont adust it to high, or it will smoke.  There should also be some kind of wind shield in front of the pilot flame.  Make sure it is in place.  Also, may I suggest running a cleaning brush thru the burner tube.  A spider web could prevent it from lighting, and just blowing out the flame.  If you will notice, all my recommendations are free.  No since in throwing money at something guessing it might fix it.

I doubt if it is a gas valve problem - those are fairly rare.

I agree, but they do happen -- once to me on my '96 Prowler.  That said, the best bet by far is that it is a thermister issue.

I am sorry for replying so late, but I did read your responses weeks ago.  I just haven't had time to go out and look for the suspect!  We will be leaving this weekend for a few days so i will look at the campground for a possible issue.  I am leaning towards a spider web or something not being too clean.  It wasn't used at all last year and I just jump in and assume it will work fine.  I did replace the thermocouple before the season because I couldn't get the pilot to light at all.  So I think I can rule that out.  I will take a pipe cleaner and come other brushes and see if I can clean out that tube you are talking about.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the HEAT!!!  115 heat index this weekend in Illinois! 

Todd

Well, after taking things apart and cleaning the pilot tube and something else.....I still have the same problem.  I have to leave the gas valve turned to Pilot all the way for the pilot to stay lit.  If I turn it even a little bit to the "ON" position, my pilot light goes out. 

Before cleaning the pilot tube and some other tube, I had a very weak pilot.  The guy that was helping me works for a heating and cooling company and is pretty darn sharp.  We were running out of time, so we cleaned what we could.

Even if this sensor isn't working right, would that cause my pilot to go out by barely turning the knob to the "on" position?  I understand the theory you are talking about though.

Let me know.  We are camping this weekend and may have some time to work on it at the campground.

Thanks!

The Pilot position overrides the safety shut-off so you can light the pilot. Switching to the ON position activates the pilot safety interlock, which relies on feedback from the thermister to tell it the pilot is on. If it does not know the pilot is on, the gas valves gets shut off, killing the flame.  This is to protect you from having the gas continue to flow after the pilot wnt out (blown out, for example).

Put a new thermocouple on in April.  Worked fine for few outings.  Did all this cleaning and decided to put in a new thermocouple.  Still same results.  I am guessing valve, but I will work on it some more this weekend at the campground.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom