Planning a Canadian trip with emphasis on historic fur trade and gold rush sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

We plan on starting at Ft. Williams next summer and gradually wander our way towards the Canadian Rockies then down towards Vancouver and ending up in Redmond, OR for an FMCA convention in mid July. I am looking for resources for historical sites to visit. The US has National Trails with lots of information, so I would love a resource like that. Alternately a few good books about the fur trade would help us plan. Any recommendations? Probably a 6-8 week trip.

I am wondering if some of the local libraries might be able to help you out. Most of them can borrow books from other libraries as well.

Thanks Jackie. I am going to get that from our library when I get home. However it is more about the US fur trade, not the Canadian one. Ed, one of our resident Canadians, gave me some good book recommendations and some tourist bureau to call.

Hi Pam,
Anne and I can't offer any help regarding the old fur trade, but we did cross from British Columbia to Sault St. Marie back in 2022. We also have extensive knowledge around the Canadian Rockies and most of the different routes from Jasper/Banff to Vancouver.
If you think there's any help we can offer, just drop us a PM.
Safe travels.
T

While I have read about the fur trade in both the US and Canada, I was just hoping someone had a pre-planned route available I could start with. In the US there are a number of National Historic Trails promoted by the Bureau of Land Management and the National Park Service. Oh well. It also looks like we are deciding to stay state-side this summer due to some other reasons. I will continue to plan the Canada trip, but it will be probably in 2025. Lots of fabulous places in western Canada.

Pam,
What you outline would be a great excursion, Mary's relatives routinely camp along the north shore of Superior. It is one of the areas on our bucket list.
Matt_C

Pam, here is an article on Gold Rushes in Canada, and it touches on the US as well, it even mentions Nova Scotia, where there are still gold mines now.
Ed

Chardron Nebraska...........
Museum of the Fur Trade
Large museum with a very large library. Located on the site of a 1700's French fur trading outpost. They have the largest collection of "trade guns" anywhere in the world (over 200 if I recall). Trade guns were simple, well made, no frills muskets sold or traded to the fur traders for furs.

The museum has nice displays and tons of artifacts and original Native American items also.

Chadron is the first good sized town you encounter after leaving the Black Hills southbound. Video starts at the segment on the Fur Trade Museum. I knew Marc was in the area and suggested he include it in a video.

I will continue to plan the Canada trip, but it will be probably in 2025. Lots of fabulous places in western Canada.
If you travel west to east across Canada, you will find that there are not a lot of major routes to take. Be sure to plan to spend some time in Ottawa as it the national capitol and a very interesting city. For a national capitol, it is a relatively small city and is absolutely fascinating.
Chadron is the first good sized town you encounter after leaving the Black Hills southbound.
That is a very good place to visit and also only 30 miles east on US 20 is Ft Robinson state park, one of the few early forts that was never totally abandoned, and which has an interesting history.

That is a very good place to visit and also only 30 miles east on US 20 is Ft Robinson state park, one of the few early forts that was never totally abandoned, and which has an interesting history.
I'll second Ft. Robinson. We spent a few days there not too long back, and it was great; they even had a rodeo one evening while we were there. It has original barracks and parade grounds, museum sections, even info on how Crazy Horse was a prisoner there and was killed.
Ft Robinson 2019 002.JPG
Ft Robinson 2019 007.JPGFt Robinson 2019 019.JPG

Pinedale, WY has a neat museum, and Bent's Fort in SE Colorado is a wonderful place to spend most of a day.

Last edited:
Let me add another interesting place in the U.S., though it was formed in Montreal:
The North West Company Fur Post, near Pine City, MN. It's a fascinating place to visit.

Northern Fur Co_20120806_033_.JPG

northern-fur-co_20120806_032_-jpg.170547

Northern Fur Co_20120806_047_.JPG

Attachments

• Northern Fur Co_20120806_032_.JPG
    Northern Fur Co_20120806_032_.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Northern Fur Co_20120806_032_.JPG
    Northern Fur Co_20120806_032_.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 16
I don’t think I have been to Pine City, but I have been to Pinedale and Bent’s Fort. Since we would probably travel I-35 tote to Ft. Robinson, I will make it a point to stop by. We have visited many fur trade locations all through the US Rockies which is why we are interested in seeing the Canadian ones from the Hudson Bay Comoany.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom