Planning a trip to CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my goodness...you were right!  We just got our CA pass.  I'm impressed...it took just 15 days.  Of course  I'm checking state parks around the LA area and find that there are limited or no available sites.  I guess if you want to vacation in CA in the summer, you better plan way way way in advance.  Oh well, I'm excited and still searching. 
Thx again.

The state parks do fill up quickly when reservations open up 6 months out. But keep checking reserveamerica.com since there are cancellations. We've lucked into spots many times.

Wendy

Like Wendy suggested keep checking because life sometimes happens and people will end up cancelling.  If you look at my history I've cancelled more than my share of reservations in the past.

My neighbor was disappointed that he couldn't reserve a site for a week at Doheny Beach for his family for this coming June.  By playing around with with number of days I was able to find two sites for 5 nights.  Might not be 7 days but 5 days still worked out for him.  Also a new feature at ReserveAmerica is that you can create a "notation" notice if openings occurs. 

If you use the card when reserving a site the campground will usually request to see it upon arrival.

If you're referring to the COE campground, we had a very nice stay there in 2004.

Well if you go to CA in an RV you will not miss the desert which will start at about the Pecos River in Texas and finally end at Banning Pass in CA.

I live a the top of that pass (Beaumont) and can testify that the desert continues well into Riverside, it just gets a bit better irrigation.  An irrigated desert is a desert none the less.  Temps in Riverside in July/August will be in the low 100s pretty steady, and nice and dry.

Jeff

It is only a little better in Anaheim, Santa Ana, etc.  Till you get within a mile or so of the beach, it is hot, high 90s and a few 100s.  My son lives on a hill top in Orange Co and it still gets to the low 90s frequently!!  The LA basin is a desert if you check history and is only green because of irrigation.

Actually, to be technical, the Los Angeles Basin and its neighboring basins are Savannah country -- semi-arid grasslands spotted with scrub trees like live oaks, and cut by interspersed streams lined by riparian woodlands.  The climate type is Mediterranean -- sub-tropical, dry summer with moderate winters.  The terrain is exposed to the moderating influence of the ocean, and the on-shore sea breezes caused by the North Pacific High which move the moist Marine Layer inland and up against the mountains in back of the coastal basins and valleys.

The true deserts in North America are inland and are blocked off from the moderating, moist Marine Layer by mountain ranges.  Annual rainfalls are in the single digits, as opposed to the 14" to 20" of the coastal areas.  Banning Pass is at the transition point between the coastal region and the true, low desert of Palm Springs and the Moreno "Valley".

If you live around here, there is a lot of difference between the two climates.

Just got back from our trip down the California Coast - I take back my recommendation for Carpenteria, State Park.

Stayed in the section with power this time.  Crammed in, over priced, dumb staff, ruined it for me.
Told us not to go within 100 feet of a creek that feeds into the ocean - due to bad bacteria.
Park is run down for what they are charging.  Parks officer drives around the park and uses his lodspeaker to enforce the rules.
A real disapointment...

My new favorite park is one right on the ocean - at Pismo Beach, CA.  $30 per night - full on resort

http://www.pismocoastvillage.com/

Amazing!!! - No more state parks for us.

PCV has been one of our favorite parks sine we got back into RVing in 1994.  Bought the MH and got a free weekend there and have used it whenever we can ever since.

Another favorite in CA is Silent Valley, had a membership till we moved to MT but they are also available now, I think, for others.  I need to check before we get back to CA.

Told us not to go within 100 feet of a creek that feeds into the ocean - due to bad bacteria.

That is true of a lot of creeks that drain urban and suburban areas in California.  Rainstorms during the Nov thru May wet season wash a lot of street crud into storm drains and into natural creeks.  Just leave a bit of distance from the mouth of the drain/creek at the beach and you should be OK.

jeverden said:
Just got back from our trip down the California Coast - I take back my recommendation for Carpenteria, State Park.

My new favorite park is one right on the ocean - at Pismo Beach, CA.  $30 per night - full on resort

Carpenteria didn't do anything for me when I checked it out but I have an co-worker that loves it there.  As for Pismo Beach it looks great!  Love the pool  :)  The prices listed on their website looked higher than $30 - was there a special or did I miss something?  I wouldn't mind spending some time there someday...

I've been busy reserving our sites in CA.  Thanks to all who helped me.  I also have reservations in NM and AZ.  However, there is a 3 week frame of time that is giving me some trouble.  It's between our trip from Flagstaff, AZ to our first reservation at Dogwood Campground, CA via Hwy 40.  I'm curious if anyone can recommend a private or state park that was used along this highway.  There are some online with websites but a quiet, mom and pop park would be ideal.

Thanks

Terier said:
Carpenteria didn't do anything for me when I checked it out but I have an co-worker that loves it there.  As for Pismo Beach it looks great!  Love the pool  :)  The prices listed on their website looked higher than $30 - was there a special or did I miss something? 

Looks like if you stay mid-week during the off-season, you pay for 3 and get the 4th free which makes it $31.50/night.

As for Carpenteria, most of the California State Beach campgrounds are converted parking lots but they're parking lots right on the beach so it's a trade-off.

Wendy
home in Cortez

atinmo said:
I've been busy reserving our sites in CA.  Thanks to all who helped me.  I also have reservations in NM and AZ.  However, there is a 3 week frame of time that is giving me some trouble.  It's between our trip from Flagstaff, AZ to our first reservation at Dogwood Campground, CA via Hwy 40.  I'm curious if anyone can recommend a private or state park that was used along this highway.  There are some online with websites but a quiet, mom and pop park would be ideal.

Thanks

I know it is not possible to park the RV on the "street" in Santa Monica because of city ordinances.  Our son's friend lives in Santa Monica and he said we could park on his very long "driveway" for a couple of nights.  Do you know if there are city ordinances against this?

Getting a 36' motorhome in and around Santa Monica will NOT be fun.  Streets are tight, turn corners will be tight.  I would not do it and I have a 35'.  Also, if you decide to do this, make sure the driveway is flat.  Santa Monica has some hills and it may be hard to get level.

Marsha~

Arrive about 830 pm and you will be ok. Dont try during rush hours.
J

atinmo said:
I know it is not possible to park the RV on the "street" in Santa Monica because of city ordinances.  Our son's friend lives in Santa Monica and he said we could park on his very long "driveway" for a couple of nights.  Do you know if there are city ordinances against this?

It will probably be a violation of the zoning code.  However, by the time that the neighbors' complaint goes in, the inspector comes out, the charges are filed by the city attorney, and the cease and desist order is issued, you will be long gone thousands of miles away and there will snow in the hills. 

Illegal parking in the streets, however, would be jumped on even before your engine would have time to cool.

Trust me, I know these things.  I am an old municipal bureaucrat.  8)

Back
Top Bottom