Please help me squash the small fears that I made a mistake!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting an update!  The RV ownership experience, as you are learning, can certainly be an eye opener.  It's good to hear that you are getting all of the important systems checked and replaced.

For photos, if the files are too large for forum requirements (the maximum file sizes are shown in the attachment area), the message will likely not post.  You might want to check that.  Photos can be resized pretty easily in Paint (free in any version of Windows) or in a variety of other photo editing software platforms.

The picture of the generator you did succeed in posting is what is often referred to as a "construction type" or open frame generator. They are generally a lot noisier than either a built-in type or an inverter type of generator (i.e. Honda style). It would definitely result in complaints when used in close quarters but out in the middle of "nowhere", it should not be a problem. This style of generator also runs at full speed (read noisy) at all times, regardless of load, whereas the inverter type (often enclosed) usually run at varying speeds as required for the load imposed on it. Result: much quieter. That size is way overkill for only charging batteries but we may end up using it for all manner of things not previously thought about. It should not be needed for charging while running down the road as the vehicles alternator should handle that as well as the vehicle start battery under normal circumstances.

As noted above, this type is NOT a candidate for mounting in the motor home itself but could be mounted on a carrier on the back when load limitations on the RV itself are not a problem.

The 120Volt output of a generator (or an inverter) is either a sine wave pattern (smooth), a modified sine wave or a square wave pattern (rough). Many common  120V appliances (heaters, drills, other hand tools, for example) will not even notice the difference but some others, (some heater controls for a heated blanket or maybe a microwave, or TV appliance) may, and they can be damaged as a result.

This one I bought is was over that and now things like sine wave I don't understand are being brought up.
Don't be alarmed - the sine wave thing is a red herring.  Modified vs Pure sine is an inverter consideration and not a worry with gensets. Generators put out standard, pure sine power.

When I named my list of items in the rv that will need power when I am not wanting to plug in/pay at a park, I was told no less than 4500.  The generator was ONLY to recharge my battery bank as needed

You are giving conflicting data. First you say there is a list of things to power, then that the generator need only charge batteries. Previously in this topic you stated:

...trying to understand what I need in order to run the fridge, 2 space heaters and or a portable a/c unit, 1-2 tv's, charge computers, microwave and the lighting (not all at once of course) and not have to plug in to anything for at least 3 days to recharge.

Is that the list? How much of that needs to run at the same time?  And is the RV a 30A power system or 50A? The easy way to tell is that a 30A system has a 3-prong plug on the shore cord, while 50A has 4 prongs.  A 30A system is much more limited in what can be powered at any moment.

Battery charging is accomplished by the onboard converter/charger system, so all you have to do it provide 120v power to the coach, whether shore cord or genset. Charging works exactly the same for either source. Given the age of the coach, it may not be as effective as newer technology versions, but it ought to work.

The RV is 30 amp.
The list of things hinges on temps. A space heater if its super cold, an a/c if its super hot.
After that, the other items will be used when we aren't out exploring hopefully. Meaning, I hope my passengers won't be sticking their heads in the tube WHILE there are sights to be seen enroute, LOL
The reason for the conflicting data is reading too much and not actually getting to try out the items with nothing but batteries to SEE how long before the batteries are drained like I intended to do from the get go.
Plus I didn't know the engine alternator would be charging the house batteries while driving and now I don't know if it will charge them enough at any given time.
That's why I was so die hard on buying a generator and because I was told by a human IN PERSON that I would need a gen no less than 4500 to run that list.  I don't recall if he thought I wasn't going to be using batteries at all or if he was saying I should do either one or the other but not both.

Well, a 30A RV can only get 3600 watts from shore power, so a generator larger than that is useful only if you have specialized wiring to do something more. There are special wiring packages on some 30A coaches that have a second a/c, but that's not something you should worry about now.

So, you already own that "big generator" in the photo. Why aren't you using it? Just park it near the RV and plug in, assuming it has a compatible outlet. Or you have a suitable adapter for the outlet(s) it has.

Because thanks to the previously mentioned mechanics never getting back to me on the last minor needs before tire-ing and tagging it, I am only able to use it for camping here in my driveway.
I'd prefer to know how many batteries it will take to power my list in hopes of being able to run on batteries up to 3 days at which time, I would get a space in a park for recharging and dumping and refilling water tank but without anyone being able to do more than say "find the starting and running watts and divide that by this and that and so on", I have yet to simply go buy an armload of them and find out for myself here at home.  Probably more trustworthy anyway.
Since the other forum members were so sure my gen was the worst choice ever, I put it up for sale and will likely go this route:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eg2800i
or this:
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100261-Portable-Generator/p67308.html
It can be stored and locked in another bay and brought out as needed?

And because as you might have read in my follow up post, I found I had some major leaks in the water system and definitely had to take care of that because otherwise, there definitely wouldn't be any traveling!  LOL
Heat and being worked to near paralysis on my job wasted the almost 3 months it took me to get that tended to and now I am here at the final steps (which I also have to see about getting to work, tehehe).

There will not be enough battery power to run heaters or air conditioners at all. They will require the generator to run. If your fridge is on propane, the battery power should run your fridge, lights, and water pump for three days with no problem.

I will not be using propane...
Will the above generators linked in reply #26 be enough for ac/heat/fridge/microwave along with the batteries full as well?

The generator should run them, but without a propane fridge or a very substantial set of batteries, you will have to run the generator at all times just to keep the fridge cold. Have you tried your fridge on propane. I had a trailer that the fridge still worked after 25 yrs. They generally last a long time as long as your tank and lines are in good condition. I guess you could use a cooler for three days.

6X16, Where do you live, are you in OKC? If you are, call me (405) 417-6077. I live SE OKC, SE 149th & Choctaw Rd.

I'm going to be servicing my moho and genny tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom