Please , opinions on the frelander motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ines

Hi,
still shopping for the first motorhome . Any opinions about this unit :
2011 FREELANDER 21QB, 21 ft TRUCK "C"
Thank you .
Is perfect for the amount of beds but I am concern about the chassis and overall quality comparing with winebago or Itasca , also is a gas unit . I guess ! But it may be worth it the difference on the price . Did anybody drove or has one freelander ?
Thank you again.
Ines

I don't think the Coachman Freelander is notably better or worse than the general run of Class C's. Winnebago/Itasca has a somewhat better reputation, whereas Coachman tends towards the low priced end of the market, but the differences are probably not huge. Compare the features and layout vs your needs - that's the most important.

As for diesel vs gas, what advantages are you expecting to get from the diesel vs the gas engine? Fuel economy? Power? Long term reliability? Most Freelanders (and similar rigs) will have the Ford V10, which is pretty solid engine in all regards.

Gary ,
Thank you so much for your help . I am checking the Conquest now and I love it . It is great to know your opinion about the Freelander because if it works fine I won't spend twice the money on another brand .
I read that the Coachmen didn't have a very good reputation but I see plenty around and the layout is perfect for us .
I am narrowing down my search .
Diesel was my choice because we went to New Mexico and Colorado on a trailer with some friends and the mileage was 8 or 9 , it cost around 3.000 dollars to go from Texas to the Rockies camping on a trailer for a month. If the Ford engine has more power and better mileage no doubt I will go with a Ford .

RVs are extremely competitive on price, so rigs that cost about the same tend to be very similar in quality and amenities. Extra cost tends to be in the quality of materials employed and in various hidden factors, like wiring, plumbing, etc. The shortcomings of the cheaper ones become apparent over time, but that doesn't always matter to the owner, especially if you trade after a couple years.

I would expect a rig the size you are talking about to get 11-14 mpg, even with a gas engine. A small diesel like the Sprinter might get 14-16 mpg.

A lot of RV fuel economy has to do with the driver.  You have to drive slower than a car to get good mpg, and you have to go easy on the acceleration, hill climbing and deceleration too. And your friend's rig may have been under-powered for the size of the trailer - that hurts mpg too. Too small of an engine means it is struggling all the time and never gets to its most economical speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom