Please tell me the differences in driving a 32' Class A to a say 37'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

Is the shorter the coach the easier to drive and maneuver?  Or is the bigger you go the softer and nicer the ride?  Would a shorter 32' allow you access to more and greater things?  Impressions from those you have driven or owned both?

This is a "how long is a piece of string?" question.There are numerous unknowns/unstated specs/criteria. Are you comparing a 32 foot gas coach with a 37 foot diesel pusher? Which chassis is each coach on?

We've owned a 29 foot gas class A coach with no slideouts and a 38 foot diesel pusher with 3 slideouts. The gas coach was on a Chevy P30 chassis, while the diesel pusher is on a Monaco/Roadmaster chassis with 8 air bags. The DP drives/rides much nicer than the P30 did, and we've never found maneuverability to be an issue even when towing a Chevy Suburban. We've never attempted to visit tourist sights with either coach, and both towed a car or SUV for transportation at our destination.

The front engine on the gas coach was much louder (for driver and front seat passenger) than the rear end diesel, especially when pulling uphill.

I suggest you spend some time at RV shows, check out floorplans, kick tires, and drive a few coaches. You'll eventually find the right coach for you.

My last coach was a 40 foot DP and now I'm driving a 34' DP. I find the 34' to be much easier to park and maneuver. I have found the highway handling to be identical except for when semi trucks blow by me; you feel it a lot more in the 34 footer. I always thought I would have liked that 40 footer better if it could have bent in the middle.
jor

I believe with slow, careful, common sense driving you will get used to driving either one. Its only 5 more feet. It was mentioned the DPusher vs. gas is a lot more quiet. So if the 37 is DP that would be a consideration.

5 more feet is 50 more square feet in raw space gained if it has a rear slide. That is a more room and more room is a winner. 

We moved up from a 34' DP to a 40' DP and both were on Monaco's Roadmaster chassis with airbags so they're more comparable than gas vs. diesel.  Both have less overhang than a gas chassis so turning is easier because there's less rear swingout.  The 40 footer has a tag axle which you have to be mindful of when turning.  Yes, we are a little more limited in where we can park but there's not that much difference between the two.  We're no longer interested in fitting into 30' spaces in state or national parks (been there, done that) and we use our toad for sightseeing.  Our really big decision was when we moved up from a 22' Class C with bed over driver compartment to a 30' Class C with rear bedroom.  Both were gas but the big question then was "do we really want to haul around a bedroom back there? and the answer was yes we did because we were tired of using the ladder to get into and out of bed!  We loved both but had more space in the 30 footer.  The next big change was from 30' gas to 40' diesel and that  also was a big change.  The diesel had less overhang, bigger windshield, quieter when driving, bigger galley, and a slideout so much more roomy.  Notice that most of these upgrades had more to do with interior floorplan and comfort features than type of chassis or gas vs. diesel.

ArdraF

Great story/response Ardra. Your current Executive is a gorgeous coach.

Tom, you'd be amazed at how many former and current Monaco techs have said that year Executive is the best coach Monaco ever built.  Luck of the draw!  And, just think, all because I broke my elbow and we lived 'way too close to the factory for a few months!  :eek: :eek:

ArdraF

Ardra, I'd forgotten about the broken elbow!

SissyBoyFloyd said:
Is the shorter the coach the easier to drive and maneuver?  Or is the bigger you go the softer and nicer the ride?  Would a shorter 32' allow you access to more and greater things?  Impressions from those you have driven or owned both?

There's really very little difference in driving going from the shorter to the longer rig. Going from a gasser to a DP would be a much larger adjustment due to the difference in wheel locations. Maneuvering in tight spots favors the shorter rig of course, although difference in wheelbases and rear overhang can minimize even that. Obviously the shorter the rig, the more places it can fit, although a 5' difference wouldn't make a huge difference in that respect.

One thing to look at if you are concerned about maneuvering into a campsite is the angle of cut. That's how far the front wheels will turn to the side.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out our is very close to 45 degrees. With the pusher there is less rear overhang so less tailswing.

SBF, We started with a 32' Southwind and owned it for 13 years, then last fall bought a 37' Allegro Open Road. Both have towed a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have had no problem going down the road and maneuvering in traffic with either of them.  I takes a while getting used to the bigger bus, but it is so much more stable because of the weight, better suspension, and larger tires that it seems much easier to drive.  Give yourself a little extra room on the corners until you feel comfortable with where your parameters are and you will do fine. Certainly the extra 5 feet may make getting into some campsites a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Happy Motoring

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom