Plumbing bay heated on 2005 Horizon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windebrook

Hi John - another question just for you as we have same unit.  We are going on road and have concerns about water lines freezing before we get to warmer climes.  Never traveled this late in year. Do you know if basement bay area is heated?  Do we have to run propane vs. electric furnaces to keep lines from freezing or is there other options?  What about the water/sewer compartment.  Thanks

The plumbing bay will need some auxiliary heat and/or insulation.  I bought a water heater insulation blanket and stuffed it on the left side to protect the pump and then lined the bottom of the bay with it.  With just the insulation you should be good into the mid-upper 20s.  When we're parked for the winter, I use the insulation and a small ceramic heater. I have never had a problem in the large storage bays on the passenger side, they do (I'm fairly certain) get some heat from the propane furnace.

If you still have the Norcold fridge, you will need to insulate the ice maker water solenoid or it will freeze and crack.

On my 2004 40AD there is a heat duct that extends into the plumbing bay and seems to do a good job keeping it warm as I have been in zero degree weather overnight a few times with no problems. The heat duct that runs along the center of the living room and kitchen floor has a few openings in the bottom that keep the main basement storage area warm. Also there is a heat tape on my ice maker valve and tubing that should keep them from freezing.

Pete

Good to know.  I also have wires wrapped around ice maker tubes.  Will check on that.  Wondered what they were for actually.  Also check to see if a heating duct runs anywhere near utility bay but meanwhile will install a remote thermometer, run propane furnace, and see what happens tonight.  Maybe could direct a fan under sink into bay?  Supposed to get to 34.  Hopefully out of here Sat morn.  Big cold front coming in so need to move. Will let you knowhow it goes.  Thanks

John,
I have a remote as well and you can watch the temp rise whenever the furnace kicks on. I seem to remember that the hose that supplies heat to the plumbing bay had a kink in it when I first got the rig. Maybe you have the same issue. The hose comes into the bay in the upper left corner of the bay behind the sheet metal face plate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom