politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that most members are pretty good about self moderating. I myself have typed a few posts, but hit delete before posting. So I get it. Some things strike a nerve, and the knee jerk reaction is to throw in your 2 cents. The one thing that will get me riled up is a personal attack on a member.  Fortunately I see very little of it here.  It is good to have this conversation from time to time, just to remind everyone that our favorite subject here is RVing!

kdbgoat said:
It's pretty obvious that I have violated the "Respect For Others" rule. I apologize to the Admin and moderators, the site members, and especially those I disrespected. I'll do my best not to disrespect anyone again. I imagine I probably violated the the other rule also at one time or another, so please accept my apologies for that too. As I said before, though I may disagree with another person about different things, I would feel honored to sit around a campfire with anyone here.

X2

Sometimes I wake up and read the things I typed in last night and wonder how many beers I had ,  (I know the mods cut me some slack too) ... Most times I just hope people still have a sense of humor.  ;)

Tony. 

Thank you for that Tony. That is two of the offenders who have now apologized so this thread is having a positive effect. This thread will be a great response to anyone in the future that starts to talk about politics or guns.

Not sure if I have ever started a political discussion but I know I have contributed to them. There are some of us that are very passionate about certain subjects and those posts trigger something in us. I don't think there is anything malicious or mean spirited in our comments. Refraining from political, religious and other hot topic conversations is a forum rule and more importantly, the majority of forum members do not want these discussions on rvforum.net. The moderators have been very lenient in regards to a lot of what we have to say. Other forums would have cancelled memberships. Going forward I will make a pledge to do my best to refrain from starting or responding to political conversations. It would be my desire that if I do stray into that field of discussion someone will call me out, politely.

SeilerBird said:
Thank you for that Tony. That is two of the offenders who have now apologized so this thread is having a positive effect. This thread will be a great response to anyone in the future that starts to talk about politics or guns.

If people who don't like guns would stay out of the conversation, there would be no controversy.

I don't happen to like cats, but don't jump in and derail the topic and spew anti-cat nonsense whenever you mention your pets.

See how that works?

I certainly owe an apology to many of you for inappropriate comments in all the above.  I agree, I joined this site as a tool to learn more about my RV and share some of my handyman skills.

I am opinionated obviously, and agree it has no place on this website.  I will make a true effort to refrain.  I also belong to a motorcycle forum, and we would never discuss politics or religion, guns or pets there.

For my comments, I am sorry.

A recent post about cats, and I/we currently have no pets, but agree, can we also not discuss pets.  I agree pets can be an issue concerning Rving, as one could argue religion, guns, and politics can play into their morals, values, and concerns in RVing as well.

I for one, really feel learning of fluffy, or brutus doesn't belong in a RV forum.

I do like this Forum, and this is a great thread.

As one stuck indoors, with a cover over my TT, I look forward to the Spring weather.

I know we try to avoid politicial discussions here. and Frankly I try save for the odd political joke.

But did you notice in the list of reasons I gave for saying Politics ARE important I mentioned
that last week I spent in a COE (Federal) park.  Well when the Fed's shut down that park closes and I'd have gotten evicted.

And 2 weeks from now I'll be in a State part.

And for 1/3 of the time between Nov 1 and Mar 1 I was in a COUNTY park.  Though they let me check in on a day they were closed due to weather (not government cry babying but real cold weather. that was also the day I could not fill my on board water tank.. Seems the water in THIS park's pipes had gotten a bit..er.. hard (as in ice)  The County park is frost proof but I waited for warmth before I hooked up.. Not easy to do at that park (lay of the land).

And that kind of thing affects us all. .I recall the questions about Quartsite and the pending Federal shut down just a couple months ago. 

This is one of the reasons Politics is important to US.

THere is a thread somewhere about a city which now fines RVers 500 dollars for parking.

ANd of course No Overnight Parking of RV laws in many areas.

All Politics.

SeilerBird said:
No, the rule is no discussion about guns. It is not there so only one side can discuss the issue. What part of no do you not understand?

You might be thinking of another forum. There is no such rule listed for this forum.

The only word loosely related to firearms in the rules is the use of "shotgun" in regards to messages. You can go look it up, I'll wait.

HappyWanderer said:
You might be thinking of another forum. There is no such rule listed for this forum.

The only word loosely related to firearms in the rules is the use of "shotgun" in regards to messages. You can go look it up, I'll wait.

No need to wait. Discussions regarding guns, other than perhaps where to find specific rules etc, falls under political discussions which is covered in the Forum Rules agreed to by all members.

John From Detroit said:
This is one of the reasons Politics is important to US.

No one said politics doesn't affect all of us, or that politics were unimportant. The point is, there are literally thousands of other venues in which one can discuss politics at length, this is not one of those venues. We don't "try" to not discuss politics, we simply don't - that's one of the rules all members agreed to when joining the forum.

Discussing the actual details and ramifications of a park/area being closed is fine (e.g., "XYZ area is closed, no services available"); commentary, including snide remarks, about why a park is closed is not OK. We're here to discuss RVing, and only RVing, in a light-hearted and friendly fashion (with a the exception of the Shade Tree which is reserved for non-RVing but still non-political, friendly discussions).

The OP brought up a good point, and this discussion has been a good reminder for all regarding forum rules. Even here though some responses are getting needlessly pointed. It would be incredibly ironic if this topic eventually required moderation.

I hope there is some wiggle room on the forum for firearm discussions. Limited to rules on traveling through various jurisdictions along with storing/securing within the RV.  Maybe not.

Yes there are many firearm forums. The older I get the less time I want to spend as a mouse potato, so the fewer forums I visit so much the better.

Attachments

• mouse patato.jpg
    mouse patato.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 28
NCSU Dad said:
I hope there is some wiggle room on the forum for firearm discussions. Limited to rules on traveling through various jurisdictions along with storing/securing within the RV.  Maybe not.

Yes there are many firearm forums. The older I get the less time I want to spend as a mouse potato, so the fewer forums I visit so much the better.

Discussions such as what the rules are for state-to-state carry, and where to find various publications are informative, non-controversial and comply with Forum rules. Discussions regarding whether guns are necessary, wise, should be legal, etc etc do not comply with the rules.

Sun2Retire said:
Discussions such as what the rules are for state-to-state carry, and where to find various publications are informative, non-controversial and comply with Forum rules. Discussions regarding whether guns are necessary, wise, should be legal, etc etc do not comply with the rules.

Perfect! Thank you.

Maybe a sticky note for that post, to remind folks not to derail a conversation.

?Maybe? we could approach the moderators for a separate  ?topic category?...pertaining to the ?taboo? topics. A topic category of ?near? anything ( some restrictions would have to be adhered to) goes! A place to argue, fight, assasinate others with our keyboards.

Sensitive topics ?will? occur.....let?s create a place for it.  If your easily ? butt-hurt?, then ?do not? venture into that ?topic category?.

There are many ?topic categories?, that I have no interest in....and I do not follow.  The ?topic category? could/would/should have a form of disclaimer....stating ?enter at your own risk?!

Memtb said:
    ?Maybe? we could approach the moderators for a separate  ?topic category?...pertaining to the ?taboo? topics. A topic category of ?near? anything ( some restrictions would have to be adhered to) goes! A place to argue, fight, assasinate others with our keyboards.

Sensitive topics ?will? occur.....let?s create a place for it.  If your easily ? butt-hurt?, then ?do not? venture into that ?topic category?.

There are many ?topic categories?, that I have no interest in....and I do not follow.  The ?topic category? could/would/should have a form of disclaimer....stating ?enter at your own risk?!

Well, I don't make the rules here, but if I did I'd vote no. As has been mentioned, if someone feels a need to talk about "taboo" subjects there already exist many venues for such discussions. It is not necessary that every forum host every discussion - this forum is for RVs. It's a simple rule, easy to understand but seemingly hard to follow.

In my opinion, there's already too much bickering in the world. I come here, as my singular exception to my "no social media" policy, to get away from that, enjoy conversations with those with a shared interest, and to learn (and occasionally offer something in return). Again, I don't make the rules, I just try (along with the many other volunteers) to help to keep folks between the lines.

Life's short. Wag more, bark less.

[quote author=Memtb]?Maybe? we could approach the moderators for a separate  ?topic category?...pertaining to the ?taboo? topics. A topic category of ?near? anything ( some restrictions would have to be adhered to) goes! A place to argue, fight, assassinate others with our keyboards.[/quote]

We tried that some years ago, specifically with political discussions. Moderator Carl Lundquist, also a moderator on a political forum, volunteered to be Sheriff. Carl did a good job, but we eventually shut that section down.

I have seen that attempted on other forums, and simply it doesn't work. That is because there is always "bleed over" into the other forums from a prior heated discussion or personal attack on a member.  It is better to have a firm outline of what is acceptable on the forum and stick to it.  I still maintain that this is an RV forum, and should pertain to the subjects that that concern RVing. 

There is one Jeep forum that I used to go to that had a "secret" room. Anything goes conversations were the norm, but the involved persons always felt emboldened by their membership there and conducted themselves similarly in other areas. I no longer post there. Too much drama.

Sun2Retire said:
Life's short. Wag more, bark less.
I love that line Scott. I may steal it from you. ;D

Every morning I go to Google's New page to read the headlines. I love reading the comments section on the articles and listening to the left and the right rip each other to shreds. And it accomplished absolutely zero. Anyone who thinks they can change someone's opinion on politics, religion or guns with an online argument is way too stupid to be believed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom