politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This topic continues to survive despite having a title that draws people like flies and encourages dissension (some are calling it discussion).  It has become something like this country - divided - I  personally intend to ignore any further posts on the topic but would like to tell Seilerbird that this is NOT an apology to him but is to others if I have disturbed you in any way.

Bill

Dragginourbedaround said:
As to guns, I?ve read all the rules and I don?t see any rule specifically excluding posting about guns.

There isn?t. The problem arises when a gun discussion strays into issues such as gun control, whether guns are necessary or a good idea, various political party?s positions on guns, etc etc (which regretfully almost always happens). At that point the discussion has morphed into a political discussion, which is addressed in the forum rules. Discussions limited to factual issues such as where to find information on, for example, state-to-state transport of firearms, is fine.

The plot thickens...

Thanks Tom and fellow moderators for keeping this topic open. I feel that it didn't get too out of hand. And it also gave a few a chance to blow off a little steam. Sorry to see Tony leave. But I would bet he is still lurking. That's ok. I don't want him to go away mad. I still respect his opinion.

We all agreed to the terms and conditions when we joined the forum. The rules are clear. We all make mistakes and maybe say something we shouldn't have. It's easy to let our opinions carry us away and spew them in a post. Time to be a bit humble. Knowledge and experience is a wonderful thing. To teach is even more beneficial. That is what this forum is all about. 

Respect of others and the rules are key. Keep them in mind and this forum will continue to thrive.

Sun2Retire said:
There isn?t. The problem arises when a gun discussion strays into issues such as gun control, whether guns are necessary or a good idea, various political party?s positions on guns, etc etc (which regretfully almost always happens). At that point the discussion has morphed into a political discussion, which is addressed in the forum rules. Discussions limited to factual issues such as where to find information on, for example, state-to-state transport of firearms, is fine.

Thanks Scott, I  understand. I was making a point for those who think every time the word gun pops into the conversation it?s against the rules and it?s not. Morphing from guns to politics is.

Wow, I was going to get my $.02 in but after reading Tom's post about maybe it's time to move on, figured why bother.  The thread was going to be shut down.  However, since it hasn't, my thoughts. 

I'd like to see a section in the Forum for issues directly related to politics.  Some things effect all of us.  For example, selling public lands.  Then, funding those public lands so they can remain open.  More importantly, our crumbling infrastructure.  The ability to get to those lands.  The number of roads that require major work, a huge inconvenience.  The number of bridges that could collapse beneath our rigs, frightening (think of the I35 bridge in Minneapolis).  Others effect some of us.  Things like social security and medicare.  These are critically important issues that aren't going away. 

My perspective on most things is influenced largely by the people I associate with.  That said, I'm usually surrounded by like minded people.  That's not the best way to develop a well rounded view.  Personally I like political discussions and usually learn something.  I like to listen to the view point of the other side.  It helps me understand it.  It also could change my mind.  But that will never happen if that view starts by denigrating mine.  That's where the administrator and moderators come in. 

At the end of the day, we all have more in common than our elected officials would have us believe.   

[quote author=garyb1st]I'd like to see a section in the Forum for issues directly related to politics.[/quote]

Gary, I understand and empathize with your intent but, as I said in an earlier message, we tried that and eventually had to shut down the 'section', as they were called back then.

kdbgoat said:
There are about a half a dozen members here, on "both sides of the aisle" that seem to have to interject politics in every thing they post. Some blatant, some veiled. Everyone here knows who I'm talking about and which side they're on. If you really need to put your politics out there on the web, do an internet search for political forums, find one or two or a hundred you like and post there. The RV Forum is not the place. It's getting really old and serves no useful purpose except to spread hate, discontentment, and division among our members. That's opposite of the purpose of this forum. Don't take me wrong, though I may disagree with someone, I would still be happy to sit around a campfire with them, and have them join me at the dinner table, as one member here has done with me.

I actually disagree....

I cannot tell you one username here that has really abused what I would call good decorum...and I certainly cannot tell you on which side of the opinion aisle anyone here falls on.  It just comes down to the simple fact that I am open minded enough and just plain old don't keep notes.

Maybe the worst of them have been cleaned up before I ever see them....but I certainly have never seen personal attacks.... and I log in here quite often....

Once in a while I'll see a post that hangs 'over the edge' and I'll maybe cringe a bit.... but honestly I get my dander up more when I see locked threads over these some little thing because I enjoy honest discussions and 'hearing' both sides.  I think it helps us all grow.

Most of those types of comments are cleaned up or moved by a mod before they hang around too long. They usually are not excessively bad, usually just some name calling of a personal nature. That is usually a flag that things are deteriorating fast. 

...I certainly have never seen personal attacks...

Might be because they were moved out of sight  ??? Some of the worst offenders of personal attacks seem to have calmed down quite a bit, but every now and again a simple comment will light their fuse.

[quote author=blw2].... but honestly I get my dander up more when I see locked threads over these some little thing ...[/quote]

Hopefully you don't see many of those here. Sometimes we lock a topic that is clearly about to go into a downward spiral, trying to prevent things getting out of hand. It's a judgement call, and we (I) don't always get it right.

BTW forum staff talk about all this stuff in the back room, so we might be more aware of the issues than regular forum members.

I used to get involved in most of the political arguments, I'm known in some circles as being "outspoken" and will accept that as mostly true,,,so I have been trying to stay in the technical area where most of my experience and enjoyment is,,but some things still can  set me afire.>>>Dan  (Even though total stupidity is difficult to discuss we still know it exists)

I scrolled through most of this and it?s the same old drama in every form ever made. The internet destroys just as easy as it brings together. If you stick to RV passion you can?t go wrong. Politics Schmolitics.

blw2 said:
I cannot tell you one username here that has really abused what I would call good decorum

As both Tom and Marty said, often the moderators clean up before you see it. It's certainly not raging, but it happens

but honestly I get my dander up more when I see locked threads over these some little thing

I'm certain I speak for all the mods when I say that the decision to lock a topic is not taken lightly, and typically not without giving a fairly clear hint that the thread is going astray.

I enjoy honest discussions and 'hearing' both sides.  I think it helps us all grow

As I said in an earlier post, I also enjoy honest discussions as I believe most do. But I don't come here to hear "sides" or grow - there are plenty of other places to do that and where "sides" is all one hears. Here there are no "sides", we're all on the same side: to enjoy and discuss RVing. This is "the friendliest place on the web" and we're working to keep it that way with as light a touch as possible, even if we inadvertently get your, and no doubt others' dander up occasionally. It's nice to have a place to peruse, where the most contentious discussion centers on which brand of TP is best for RVs.  :)

Humanaquarian said:
I scrolled through most of this and it?s the same old drama in every form ever made. The internet destroys just as easy as it brings together. If you stick to RV passion you can?t go wrong. Politics Schmolitics.

Now there is a topic that could be discussed with some useful thoughts - the internet:  Good/Bad/Indifferent. 
Some may have seen one of those recent murder shows where two 12 year old girls in Wisconsin attempted to murder another 12 year old girl because they thought it would relieve them of being killed by some internet character named Slender Man.  Despite stabbing the victim 19 times, she survived but the two perpetrators go 25 and 40 year sentences in a mental health facility.

Maybe I will start a thread like that in the Shade Tree and hope it would not fall into politics or guns.  There is a lot of fertile ground there that could be talked about without broaching those two areas.  I personally wish the internet had never come about but that would be like saying I wish the Wright brothers never got off the ground......lol

Bill

Bill N said:
Now there is a topic that could be discussed with some useful thoughts - the internet:  Good/Bad/Indifferent. 
Some may have seen one of those recent murder shows where two 12 year old girls in Wisconsin attempted to murder another 12 year old girl because they thought it would relieve them of being killed by some internet character named Slender Man.  Despite stabbing the victim 19 times, she survived but the two perpetrators go 25 and 40 year sentences in a mental health facility.

Maybe I will start a thread like that in the Shade Tree and hope it would not fall into politics or guns.  There is a lot of fertile ground there that could be talked about without broaching those two areas.  I personally wish the internet had never come about but that would be like saying I wish the Wright brothers never got off the ground......lol

Bill

OK I'll bite this one.....Glad the internet is here! Mental illness is just as it was before the internet, centuries ago the two girls would have burned the other one at the stake or had the government lobotomize her. Yhe lies broadcast by the internet are no different that the ones spread by other medias, remember when newspapers  printed that cigarettes were healthy because they killer germs........its SSDD...same stuff, different day.

On political discussions.....Will someone please pass the popcorn!!

I just had to comment before this "discussion" was closed. I would agree that Tom and the rest of the staff do a pretty good job. Personally I enjoy the strict guidelines concerning hotbed topics. In my personal life I have adopted a policy of refusing to discuss politics, religion (not to be confused with faith), and personal protection.

Good job Tom and staff. To the rest of the community (well most of you folks) thank you for the conversation, banter, and the occasional chuckle.

John Beard said:
{Snip}  In my personal life I have adopted a policy of refusing to discuss politics, religion (not to be confused with faith), and personal protection.

Please, no condom topics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom