Pop and cracking sound when turning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvengineer

New guy here.  Brought home a prowler 26T last night with my 99 Expedition.  The camper came with a weight distribution hitch which I connected up to seemingly ok.  When making turns there was a terrible popping and cracking sound coming from the hitch area.  Is that normal or did I not have something right?
Thanks for any replies in advance.

I've only been around/used a load-leveling setup one time, but it did make a lot of noise when turning.  I think the source of the noise is the load bars "turning" in the holes in which they ride.

Yes, they are normally fairly noisy in a tight turn.

Some of them, like the Reese Dual Cam, aren't supposed to be oiled or greased. They rely on metal-metal friction to provide their anti-sway action.  At most, use a light coating of vasoline to reduce noise.

If it is the type with built-in sway control, check the owner manual for the WD hitch before doing any lubrication.

You didn't mention which hitch you use.  Below is a link to the manual for an equalizer hitch like mine. 

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual200905.pdf

It makes noise in tight turns.  The only recommended parts to be greased is the joint where the socket bolts to the head, so that the bar can pivot on the head when making turns.  Greasing the bars at the friction point is optional.  I'd rather listen to some noise than to have a greasy bar to deal with when not using the hitch.  I like to lock up the parts when unhooked and the grease would make an awful mess.

The hitch does its job well and I've been very pleased with it.  Good luck with yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom