Portable Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gcharte

We have a 2006 Fleetwood Storm and spend three and a half months in Florida. Most of the time we only need a portable heater to take the chill off. Is there a heater that is better than another for this purpose.

Thank,

Gary M Charters

Short answer.. NO.  I have seen ads for some very expensive ceramic heaters that claim "up to 3 times more efficient"

Well, fact is, all electric heaters are exactly 100% efficient.  The reason for this is in an electrical system all loss is converted to heat, since heat is the desired product, there is thus no loss.

NOTE that ceramic heaters operate (usually) at a lower temperature and this may make them marginally safer. also a unit with proper tip-over switches is a must

Something I found on E-bay a couple years ago when looking for a SWAMP COOLER is a product by the brand name of GATOR

IT is a swamp cooler with a HEAT option, 2,000 watts  prior to this unit I have NEVER seen a plug in heater over 1500 watts. NEVER,  but I measured it, and it really is 2,000 watts... Or dang close to it (199x watts on the meter)

An electric heater is easier and safer than gas, so is the choice if you have enough power available (they are 1500 watts). The ceramic element models are safer than the older wire grid type - they  are self limiting in case of overheating and are extremely unlikely to cause a fire.

We found that many of the models available in the stores have noisy fans (even the highly rated Pelonis models) and this is irritating in a small space. And some of the ones with electronic controls do not have sufficient granularity in their thermostats - they tend to increment temperature in steps (as much as 5 degrees), which makes it hard to get the temperature you like in a small area. Holmes makes some quiet models but they mostly have the poor thermostats. Check around, though, their are numerous models & styles in every brand name.

Some folks like the oil filled type - they give even, silent heat. They are a bit bulkier than the fan types, but are great to leave on in the evening or overnight to provide a bit of warmth. But without a fan, they are  a bit slower to warm an area when first turned on. They work best if just left on rather than waiting til you get cold to flip them on.

We now have a Bionaire ceramic (bought at Target) that is very quiet and has easy to use controls.
Bionaire Ceramic #1
Bionaire Ceramic #2

Thanks for the links Gary. 

Last year in my stick house in Ohio I used two oil/electric heaters.  They worked well, kept the place toasty (I only had to use the expensive propane furnace twice), but were very large compared to these ceramic heaters.  I was looking for a winter alternative (or supplement) to my propane furnace in the RV and these might be the answer.

Steve

I would go with a Ceramic or other "low temp" heater,  IN fact 2 of my 3 space heaters are of that type.. the 3rd is a wire heater

As I said, make sure it has a good tip over protection, and I will add read the cautions label.

Some places have "no electric heater" rules.. This includes the park I'm in now

As it happens I have a problem with that.. I mean I'm paying for a 50 amp hook up. I should be able to use it.

But then... I'm not needing supplemental heat this week.

I have encountered the No Heater rule or heater and A/C surcharge in the directories, but can't remember ever being asked if I plan to use one.  I have a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. I will never lie, but if they don't ask, free electricity is better than $3./85 propane.

Tony

I live in Florida and I seldom use the furnace to heat the inside, instead we have two small portable ceramic heaters. One position in the bedroom and one in the living area. They both maintain a cool 68-70 degrees inside while it is around 40-50 outside. Just make sure you get the ones equipped with tilt switch in case they get knock over.

tswms said:
I have encountered the No Heater rule or heater and A/C surcharge in the directories, but can't remember ever being asked if I plan to use one.  I have a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. I will never lie, but if they don't ask, free electricity is better than $3./85 propane.

Tony

Well.. That sums up my feelings,, However the electricity is NOT free.  It is included in the site rental.

I know one park that charged 4.00/night for electricity.. Average cost of electricty used was 1.00/night, but the fee was four bucks

They are out of business now.. Seems corporate forgot to pay the taxes

So do you just plug the electric heaters into a 110V outlet in the RV or is there a special outlet setup you need due to the heavy draw of power? ???

Portable electric heaters are normally 1500 watts (or less) and can be plugged into any standard 15 amp outlet (See comment later)

I have one that actually pulls 2,000 watts (19 amps) and I use a dedicated 20 amp line for it but it still has standard plugs, It is the only 2000 watt portable I've ever seen.

Comment:

Though the outlets in RV's are rated 15 amps... I recommend monitoring them at least the first few hours of operation as the way they hook 'em up worries me at full load

So do you just plug the electric heaters into a 110V outlet in the RV or is there a special outlet setup you need due to the heavy draw of power?
No special set-up, but you do need to monitor your overall power consumption if you have only 30A service. A portable heater on high consumes 1500 watts and on 30A service your total power budget is only 3600 watts, so the heater is using nearly half of it.  Turn on the microwave or the wife's hair dryer and there goes the other half, and you still have the fridge, water heater, battery charger, etc. to consider.

If you have 50A shore power, then there is probably no need to worry about total power consumption.

Remember the TV show GREEN ACRES where Oliver had numbers on all the appliances and you could only plug in up to xx.

Ava Gabore kept plugging in too much and blowing the generator.

That's the way it is on 30 amps... And my wife... Well... She's not good at addition

I've had to go out and reset many times.. Thankfully all senistive stuff is protected behind the Prosine 2.0

On 50.. I'd have to work hard to find enough to cause the "Click of Darkness"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom