Portable Solar Panel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khr

I purchased a Renogy 100 watt solar panel and controller.  I am wanting to use it as a portable/non-permanent installation source of charging for my battery.  Is anyone else doing this and how do you keep your controller out of the rain/weather since you don't have it permanently installed?

Thanks,
Ken

I have portable solar for my motorhome, with the controller in a weather-proof battery box.

The cables get stored in the box when not in use.

Howdy Ken, just a thought...  I've seen a couple folks mount the controller in their rig and then install an easily accessible connector so the cables from the panel can easily be connected/disconnected.

HappyWanderer - that's pretty much the idea I was coming up with - thanks.

JFNM - We have a 19' tongue pull trailer and not much spare space and I really wasn't wanting to punch any holes in the trailer.  Also, if left totally portable, depending on where we park I would like to have as much freedom to get the panel in the sun as possible - thanks.

We're close to the same set up, we have a 28' bunkhouse, and 2 solar panels that take the bunk space.
Anyway to keep things easy, we just disconnect the charger off the batteries during the day, use the solar panel and a controller mounted in a waterproof toolbox to take care of waterproofing.
On sunny days we can dump just under 10 amps into the batteries up here in South Dakota on sunny late spring days.
Once dark, we just disconnect and hook back up to the camper connections again.

Back
Top Bottom