Post Office - General Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Runny_Yokes

Suppose I want supplies while I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Is it still possible to have something delivered to a post office near you? Can you arrange it with a post office?
ex
Runny Yokes
General Delivery
51 S Main St
Eureka, NV 89316

Yes. But you have to arrange it in advance with the postmaster. We were in a small town recently and the postmaster was hesitant, we asked at the campground office and they accepted delivery. Also there is Amazon pickup lockers in many places now. So it varies, we have found. There are others here who have far more experience, so hopefully they’ll chime in.

The correct format for your general delivery shipment would be:
Runny Yokes
General Delivery
Eureka, NV 89316

You don't include the street address. Be sure to check out the zip code on the usps.com website to see if they list General Delivery as on of their available services. Not all post office locations do that. You might also want to contact someone at that local office to see how long they will hold a package for you. I have had some that will hold for 7 days, and some that will hold it up to two weeks.

Years ago I moved across the country and I didn't have an address to forward to, so just used general delivery. Worked perfect, ended up using that for a good couple months until I got a place. As long I picked up regularly it wouldn't get returned. Not sure why it would be up to the postmaster, it's legal mail to a legitimate person.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Amazon lockers will probably have size restrictions and some small places it's difficult to get a space in one for some reason. Just saying don't assume it will be a slam dunk.

About 10 days ago we opened a PO box at a small town in Louisiana for 1 year as we will be traveling back and forth between Indiana and Louisiana several times over the next 12 months.

In order to get the PO box we had to have a physical address address on the form for the PO box. We used the State Park we are bouncing back and forth from, as our physical address. We also had packages delivered there too.

They wanted some proof of an address, but were quite OK with presenting our Indiana Drivers license and vehicle registration. They gave us the PO box.

We asked about packages and they said receiving packages would be no problem. If a package came to our PO box, we'd receive a slip of paper in our box and then simply take it to the counter and we'd receive our package.

Since we have previously had packages shipped to the state park, if in the future, if we have packages, we'll have them delivered at the park, not the PO box. But, we had a need for local mail delivery outside the bounds of the state park, and that's why we opened the PO Box.

We are actually back in Indiana right now as I'm writing this post.

You'll need to check with the local post office to see how they want packages addressed.

For ours, they wanted the address something like this:

My Name
PO Box 123 / 1234 Main Street (the physical address)
Somewhere, Louisiana, 12345

I don't know if UPS will deliver to a PO box this way. But you'll need to check with every carrier that delivers packages to see what they require. But, that's how we did it.

We have the PO box in Louisiana, and hope we "really" never need it, but it's there "If" we do. ......

USPS has a website that shows all their post offices. Click on the one you want and see what services are provided. Note General Delivery is not accepted in all post offices! We have used a General Delivery address for a number of USPS deliveries. They will not accept UPS or FedEx deliveries, only USPS.

We’ve used general delivery a few times.. it’s always worked without any issue. Confirm with the post office you want to use that they’ll accept general delivery mail (not all do.. as someone said, small towns are more receptive to the service). Correct format for the mail’s address:

Mr. Your Name
GENERAL DELIVERY
TownName, ST xxxxx-9999

GENERAL DELIVERY in all caps is preferred. The four digit zip code suffix is required to be all 9’s.

Some post offices will accept UPS and FedEx deliveries to a PO box. Surprised me too. Be sure to ask, not assume.

Most everyone who camps at Quartzsite knows this, but the Post Office there _does not_ accept general delivery there.

Most everyone who camps at Quartzsite knows this, but the Post Office there _does not_ accept general delivery there.
Actually they do accept general delivery, but the post office there makes it so absolutely awful to pick them up, we only used it once. Then again, a post office suitable for 3,500 permanent residents has difficulty handling 500,000 additional people. When we needed USPS mail, we sent it to Ehrenberg General Delivery. Lovely folks.
Some post offices will accept UPS and FedEx deliveries to a PO box. Surprised me too. Be sure to ask, not assume.
But I don’t think any accept non-USPS for General Delivery.

USPS has a website that shows all their post offices. Click on the one you want and see what services are provided. Note General Delivery is not accepted in all post offices! We have used a General Delivery address for a number of USPS deliveries. They will not accept UPS or FedEx deliveries, only USPS.
My experience is the same. Not every town has a PO that accepts General Delivery, and in cities with multiple PO's usually only one accepts GD. Each PO will have a directory that lists all PO's and the services available at each, including General Delivery where available, so you can identify what offices you can have stuff sent to.

Some shippers won't mail to a GD address, though. Probably because they can't verify delivery beyond the post office and thus can't be sure you received your goods.

Back
Top Bottom