Power for 5th Wheel Side View Cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevem4134

Hi,

Hope you can shed some light on this question.

I plan on purchasing a new 5th wheel shortly. I know that most of the new units are wired for a backup cameras. But none of them (other than motorhomes), that I have been looking at, have the setup for side view cameras. I want to use the clearance light as my 12VDC supply. With the clearance light removed from the side of the RV, I want to tap 12VDC off of the power line just before it enters the clearance light fixture.

So I have been doing some research. And of course that research includes RV forums. On one of the forums, somebody stated that you can not add side view cameras to trailers that use LED clearance lights as a power source because of the LEDs requiring a limiting resistor.

So my question is this true or not. Isn?t 12VDC the same for regular bulbs and LEDs?

Thanks,

Steve

I would tend to think that the power is 12v going to the light and any resistance is built into the light bulb or fixture.

Of course this shouldn't be to hard to check out with a Fluke meter to see the voltage on the wire.

I have to wonder how much value side cameras will really be to you.  Most tow vehicles should have good mirrors.
Does your 5th W have a camera on the back.  If so that should be enough.  But it's you choice.....

I agree with RedandSilver - on both points. In most cases, the power regulation is going to be at the LED itself, and the 12 volts going to it is simply 12 volts. As long as the circuit you're tapping into is rated for the additional draw of the cameras, it should work fine.

For what it's worth, I (almost) never use my side view cameras. I initially thought I'd use them a lot, but the mirrors provide a far better view of what's going on, and are much easier to interpret than the cameras - especially at a glance, and even more so at night.

Kev

I can't see any value to a side camera mounted that far in back of the driver. If there's an obstacle, you've already hit it with the truck.

I'd invest the money in the best truck mirrors available.

You may be able to use the marker light power.
It comes directly from the truck via your 7-pin connector, so it will only be active when the lights are on.
You could run a dedicated always on wire from the battery in the trailer if there isn't enough power.
How are you going to display the camera images?

Thanks for the responses.

The RV that I buy will have a backup camera.

I have never towed a large trailer so I am unsure if my truck's mirrors will be sufficient to monitor what is besides me. I currently own and plan to tow the 5th wheel with my 2011 F250 which has the telescoping tow mirrors.

Will my OEM mirrors will give me the views I need?

I plan on using displaying the side view on the outsides of the split screen monitor with the front and rear view in-between the two side views with the forward facing camera at the top and the backup camera at the bottom of the monitor.

stevem4134 said:
I have never towed a large trailer

Fear of the unknown is what you are experiencing. 

Save your money UNTIL you know more about trailering and what the view will be.

From your post it sounded like you wanted 4 cameras running - that is going to take your eyes off the road and distract you - and that's not good.

Most RV's don't have side view cameras and they go down the road without any problems.  The expensive units that have them are mostly for the manufacturer to charge more and make more profit on something that has little value to most drivers.

I have towed my enclosed trailer with my SUV with no cameras on it.  I do use mirror extensions - but I don't have extension pull out mirrors.

I have to believe that most 5th wheels don't have side view cameras because they don't help the driver.  IF they did, most would have them.

Of course it's your choice and you can do what you want,  But Do you really want to try something that might be a waste of time and money, before you have even tried what has worked for almost everyone here?

There are many ways to power the cameras, BUT I suggest doing nothing until you actually get the FW and determine if you really need the cameras.  I believe the F250 mirrors will take care of seeing the sides.  If you feel you do need the extra views after towing a few times, THEN add them.  Note also the very correct post of possible distraction from the display!

My other concern is if the F250 is enough truck to pull the FW.  The smaller payload can only handle smaller FW.  Remember 20% of the FW  GVWR is carried by the truck.  The payload must handle this, plus the weight of passengers, truck cargo and FW hitch.  Just a thought.

stevem4134 said:
I plan on using displaying the side view on the outsides of the split screen monitor with the front and rear view in-between the two side views with the forward facing camera at the top and the backup camera at the bottom of the monitor.

There is a limit as how much information the brain can process. By the time you figure out which camera is creating the image you're trying to interpret, and what action you should take, you'll be in a ditch.

This is great advice and I thank all of you for your contributions.

RedandSilver
You are correct in a fear of the unknown. That is why I have been asking questions and advice from the more seasoned RVer.
I was looking for 4 cameras because I wanted no blind spots while I am towing. But if my side mirrors will work then I do not need the side cameras.
But distraction is a safety issue and because of your comment, I need to make sure that I minimize ALL distractions.

Grashley
Your advice on waiting to see if my mirrors will work is great.
As for the weight issue, I have been taking that into account. I have weighed my truck, and compared the payload capacity on the driver?s door pillars. I created a spreadsheet with the values and included the estimated pin weight of the trailer. As a result, I believe I can safely tow a trailer that has an empty weight of less than 9000 lbs.

Again, Thanks to all.

Thanks for replying - as some people don't.

First off, NEVER use or even consider using EMPTY WEIGHT (EW).  You will never have the RV at EW except maybe on the way home
after purchasing it.  It's a useless number when taking about towing.  Maybe they use it to figure the cost of registration fees - other than that
don't even look at a Dry Weight figure (Dry Weight is usually considered the correct term) - as again it's worthless.

A few things that will help your FEAR of trailering are to DRIVE 55mph.  Things will happen slower (braking distance will be shorter too) and you should be in the right hand lane about 95% of the time.  Did you know that in California if you tow anything - the speed limit is 55mph and the CHP do give tickets out?  That will help your fuel mileage too.  By staying in the right hand lane and driving 55 most people will be passing you and that will reduce the need for you to keep looking for cars that can't be on your right side.  Make sure you use your turn signals 3-5 seconds BEFORE you change lanes.  That will give notice to people behind and may keep them from passing you at the wrong time.

There is a saying that says "Everything is hard before it is easy"  After a few times towing it will get easier.

Echoing Red, the empty weight is USELESS!!  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper!  Use the GVWR as a MUCH better estimate of the real weight you will be towing, and use 20% of this as your pin wt estimate.

I am very happy you are aware of the weight stuff you need to know!!  Note the truck will not self destruct if you are 200# over payload, but your aim should be to stay within limits.

I agree with you that the empty weight is useless.

The GVWR of the 5th wheel is being used in my spreadsheet to calculate the pin weight. Guess I should have said that.

I am looking for a 5th wheel less then 9000 because when I add in the cargo carrying capacity to calculate pin weight I know what I can safely tow.

The two 5th wheel trailers are Cherokee Artic Wolf and Flagstaff Super Lite. Haven't chosen a floorplan yet. Both are in my towing capacity.

Thanks again for your advice it has been helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom