Power question version 2....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin27

So now I've ran into another issue I don't quite understand.

I'm plugged into a 120v outlet for shore power while my RV sits in the yard. The interior lights, fridge/freezer are working just fine but the batteries are now dead. The inverter is not on and won't turn on when I hit the power button. I didn't turn it off because my understanding was that it needed to be on or the trickle charge to keep the batteries charged up would be disrupted. Regardless it seems like if I hit the on button, it should now turn on. The converter is obviously working or the lights wouldn't be working right?? The generator won't turn and the engine won't turn.

Why is the shore power taking care of lights/fridge but not charging the batteries?

My next step will be to try jumpers on the batteries or a battery charger to get the generator going or taking the batteries to get them tested but the last time I did that 6 months ago they were fine.

Any suggestions? I'm planning to head out Monday and really need to get this figured out.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an INverter/charger or a CONverter/charger ? Do you have a salesman switch? That is also called a battery cutoff switch. Either way it needs ro be on all the time. Otherwise the batteries will not be charged. If tour battery is flat the converter may not bring it back to life. I would take them out, check water level, fill if necessary and connect them to a stand alone battery charger for 14 hours. Reinstall them and try again. While your at it check the main fuse which is between the battery and converter.

You have a converter and an inverter? Or is it one or the other?

If you have a converter, chances are it is also the battery charger or possibly you have an inverter charger which is your battery charger.

If the 12 volt systems are powered up but the batteries are not charging, the link to the batteries and whatever is supplying power to your 12 volt systems has been disabled either through a switch or fuse.

I have a store/use button and it’s on Use, which I confirmed by the lights and fridge working. I have a converter and an inverter. The inverter is a xantrex 1800 I think. I’m pretty sure the converter does the trickle charge to the batteries because when my converter went bad awhile back my batteries went dead even when on shore power. I think I’ll check to see if my converter has a reset button…

currently have a battery charger connected to the house batteries to see if I can get them up enough to start the generator.

Not to dismiss the trial and error diagnosis process here but will offer that a voltmeter will answer a lot of these questions much more quickly and conclusively. The function of the inverter, when the batteries are charging and whether power is making it from one place to another can be answered and the issues quickly narrowed down.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The INverter has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. The function of an INverter is to supply 120VAC from the 12VDC battery when not connected to shore power.
You have not physically checked the disconnect switch. If your connected to shore power the CONverter will usually supply sufficient 12VDC to run most things. Never seen a store/use button. Usually it is a key switch used to kill battery drain when in storage. Also have never seen a "reset" switxh on a CONverter. But there will be a resettable breaker or a 30A fuse between the battery and the 12VDC distribution panel. Get a volt meter and follow the 12VDC from the battery out.

Thanks for the help. I did remember the breaker once you reminded me and it is not tripped. The point about the inverter makes perfect sense too but I needed you to say it.
I agree on the volt meter. Honestly, I have one but it’s very confusing to me on how to use it. Way to many dials and settings options but I guess I need to figure it out.

Interior lights run on 12 volts. Here is my guess

You have both an Inverter, Connected directly to the batteries, and a CONVERTER elsewhere that connects via a disconnect switch.

You hit the Disconnect
But the inverter was direct connected and it ran the batteries down
The Disconnect is still in the Store/Off/Disconnected position

The batteries may be toast (or not True Deep Cycle like the GC2. Sometimes they recover But do not hold breath)

Turn inverter off (if it has a big switch)

Try the use/store or aux or whatever the disconnect is on yoru rig. NOTE it might not work if batteries completely dead.

IF that is the case use a a seperate charger (an older "Dumb" charger not a modern smart one) for an hour or two to bring up the batteries Then see if the connect will. DO NOT re-connect with totally dead batteries or the converter may play one of the 12 volt system's favorite types of music... POP as in POP: a fuse. (or 3_)

Good luck

You are right that your converter is supposed to charge your house batteries. You said your converter went "bad" in the past. Did you replace the converter?

I think we have established that his coach has a converter plus an inverter, so only the copnverter is involved in supplying 12v power and charging batteries. And Fin27 assures us the Battery Disconnect is ON (Use position). The converter must be supplying 12v if the fridge & lights work, so the problem is between the converter and the battery bank. There is usually a major fuse on the positive battery cable, plus there may be "reverse polarity" fuses on the converter itself.

It would help to learn the brand & model of converter, which is probably part of an integrated ac/dc power center (120v breakers + 12v fuses). What does the label on the power center say? Or provide a photo of it.

As Mark says, the first step is a voltage measurement at the battery terminals with the converter powered up (and no external charge connected). Voltage measurements are easy with a VOM - you don't need to know how all the functions work. There should be a dial position for DC volts. If you post a photo of your VOM, we can coach you on that too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayVee
Back
Top Bottom