Pre-planning route questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveandMari

Hi all, been awhile since we've been on here. We're heading up to the RV show here in another week or so in Denver to probably find a deal on a Class A. This summer we plan to head out to my dads place in Ferguson, North Carolina.

The route going out there looks good until we turn off of 75 south of Lexington to head toward Middlesboro, KY. From there on it looks like all backroads, twisties. Has anyone followed Rt58 through lower VA and then 26 south into North Carolina?

Just curious if anyone in a Class A has driven through there or if we need to take a longer route to his place.

Thanks

I am more familiar with the eastern ends of your route, than the western, and not in our motorhome, when we traveled a lot in the area during our South Carolina work stint.

My recollection is that the area is hilly, sometimes narrow in places, but I saw trucks in there all the time.

But you ARE crossing through the mountains and you may have to learn to like narrower roads and the hills unless you want to divert more.

Someone with more local experience could be more specific.

Ferguson, NC is not exactly "in the middle of nowhere", but you can certainly see it from there. ;)

My suggestion would be to stay on I-75 all the way to Knoxville, TN and then go east on I-40/I-81 all the way to I-26.  You are going to have all the hills and curves you can stand later in the trip, trust me. 

Turn south on I-26 and stay on it 'till you get to US321.  Go east on US321.  You don't have many choices from here to Ferguson. 

You can either stay on US321 to SR268 and go east or take US321 to US 421, to Wilkesboro, and back west on SR268.

I don't think you want any roads more rural than those suggested in a class A. 

Dave and Mari,

I'm a little confused trying to follow the roads you mentioned.  Could you be a little more specific in telling us your route numbers?  For example, are you talking about Virginia state route 58 and I-26?  I-26 is fine for an RV.  But I'm wondering why you want to go through Virginia which is quite a bit farther east than where you want to go.  Maybe you meant West Virginia route 58??

Do you plan on traveling east from Denver on I-70 and then changing to I-64 at St. Louis and then to I-75 at Lexington?  We took I-75 from Michigan to Florida last summer and it's not a problem for RVs.  There's some construction on it south of Cincinnati but you would be south of there.  After you get off the interstates in that area it is another story because the roads do have to cross mountains or go around them.  I suggest staying on interstates as much as you can.  I would forget about I-75 and continue on I-64 to Charleston WV where I would pick up I-77 south.  At Brooks Crossroads NC pick up US 421 west to Wilksboro where you can pick up NC 268 to the Ferguson area.  That would minimize your miles on smaller roads.  You should be okay on the interstates and other U.S.-designated roads.  If you belong to AAA, their road maps are the best in my opinion.

Also, I suggest getting a copy of the Mountain Directory Eastern edition.  It will show you on maps arranged by states where the really hairy roads and passes are located.  The narrative for each of those roads will help you make your decision.  Sometimes you will make the decision to find a campground a little farther away from your destination and drive in the car over the more difficult roads.  When I Googled Ferguson NC it shows a picture of a two-lane country road.  It doesn't look too bad, but you might end up driving down the middle of the road unless there's oncoming traffic.  That's what I do on narrow rural roads.  I pull over when I can and almost stop if it's too close for passing.  Don't worry about other people.  It's your big vehicle that has to negotiate their narrow road and you do the best you can. 

You're going to a lovely part of the country.

ArdraF

Sorry Ardra for not being more specific. Let me see if this link works

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Black+Forest,+CO&daddr=Ferguson,+NC&hl=en&geocode=FbhKUwIdeGTC-SntI7uvrUoThzGsNAxMVNXS4g%3BFeOqJgIdvGcm-ylFq4I-8RpRiDELrHoJmp4-7g&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.352165,55.019531&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=5

That is the route that was planned out for me.

Thanks for the reference book, I will look into that.

EDIT: I just looked at your suggestions for taking 64 over to 77 and that does look like a smoother route to take. I was just hoping maybe those backroads would work from a more scenic, off the beaten path route, but would not want to get into to hairy of a situation for driving. We're in no rush to get out there. Thanks again

DaveandMari said:
... We're heading up to the RV show here in another week or so in Denver to probably find a deal on a Class A. ...

The next RV show I know about in Denver is January 12-15, 2011 -- hope you're not expecting one sooner, or maybe you found one that I didn't.

Not to push the route changes that I suggested in an earlier post, but you are going to spend some time on State Route (SR268) regardless of whether you arrive in Ferguson from the east or the west.  That's your choice to make.  It's not a terrible road, but it is a rural NC paved road that just happens to be the ONLY paved road available.  Highways US321 and US421 are very scenic, well maintained and safe routes.  Since you are coming in the summer you should not have a problem with NC roads anywhere along the route.  Good luck with your RV search and future travels.

If you take the general route that you have planned, I suggest considering a route change between Johnson City, TN and Boone, NC.  Highway 321 around Watauga Lake is very crooked.  If you want a scenic route that is not as crooked, take a look at the link given below.  It looks longer, but the travel time is about the same because the roads are better. 

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211226737003979272683.00049881eec963995dc05&ll=36.254241,-82.015686&spn=0.277963,0.614548&z=11

This route takes you close to Roan Mountain State Park, a very nice park.  It is ofter busy in the summer and some of the sites are very small.  Most motor homes will fit in some of the sites on the lower level near the office.  Unfortunately, they do not take reservations.

The route also takes you close to Grandfather Mountain, a popular tourist attraction.

I hope this helps.

Delbert

We will be traveling from Michigan to Wilmington, N.C. this summer to visit family also. Any information on this route would be appreciated also.
Sorry for the Hijack. ;)

Scott  :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom