Pre-purchase Inspection - Lazydays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kemdignam

We are closing on our first motorhome next Saturday from Lazydays and they claim that they go through a 'comprehensive' pre-purchase exam to verify that everything is in proper working condition.  My question is since we are new to RV'ing and never owned a motorhome, should we hire an independent inspector to verify the coach is in good working order? 

I have scoured the internet for an inspector in the Tampa area, but I have been unable to locate one.  Does anyone know of a reputable service if you think one is required?

We are planning to purchase a 2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow (Ford chassis).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Karen

All I can say about inspections is that we bought ours private sale, with the help of a couple of very knowledgeable automotive/RV people.  When we got home after driving about 2,000 miles I decided that it would be a good idea to have the chassis fully inspected by the local Freightliner dealer.  Well that was the worst $1,500 to $2,000 I ever spent.  They did what they called a 90 point inspection, serviced the onan generator, changed the oil, etc, and found one weak chassis battery, no recalls, and sent me on our way.  We have never been back to them, having found much better, cheaper service centres for any of our modest needs.

One thought might be someone who usually performs PDI (pre delivery inspections) at a dealership, but obviously not a dealership where you'd be buying the RV. Since there's not a lot of RVs being sold right now, the PDI folks might be glad of some extra work.

Meanwhile, click the Library button above and look at the checklists; They include PDI checklists you could follow yourself.

When we bought ours the dealers service tech did a walk thru with us to show us everything and how it worked.  Believe me its hard to remember it all and there is always something they dont tell ya.  I suggest you make sure that you recieve the manuals for your rig and read thru everything in it when and as soon as you can and get to know your vehicle on your own.

Hi Karen and welcome to RV Forum.

Lazy Days generally does a pretty good job, though the pre-delivery inspection is probably not quite as thorough as they would have you believe. The delivery teams have good days and not-so good days and when they are rushed they can miss things.  I would not hire an outside inspector, but take your time and look through it thoroughly yourself. It's called a walk-through, but don't let them rush you. Make sure you know where everything is and how to operate it and that you see it working. I would also insist on doing this BEFORE you sign the paperwork, since you lose a lot of leverage once you sign. Like any RV dealer, they will move heaven and earth to complete the sale, but once you sign the financial and title transfer paperwork, you are just another customer. Do not leave the delivery lot until you are 100% satisfied (they tell you that only a one night stay is allowed in the delivery area, but that is routinely ignored when the customer has problems).

Lazy Days usually offers a 30 day warranty on used rigs so that things they miss can be corrected. Don't worry, they will honor that for anything you report in the first 30 days, but it is much easier to get work done promptly before delivery than after. Their service shop is huge and there is always a waiting list for an appointment, so take advantage of your pre-delivery priority.

This is also a good time to make sure all the routine maintenance is up to date on the chassis, i.e. oil and fluid changes, chassis lubrication, etc. Typically LD will change the engine oil and oil filter as a matter of course (but ask to be sure), but not do other routine maintenance. Unless there are service records with the coach indicating recent service, get a chassis lube and determine if the transmission fluid is due for a routine change. Ditto for the air filter. You will have to pay the standard service rates for these unless you negotiated them as part of the sale agreement, but it's good to start out knowing that everything is properly serviced.

Enjoy the Pace - it is a fine coach!

Definitely use the checklists in the RV Forum Library.  Even though every item might not apply in your case, the lists will give you a good idea of what to look for and may remind you of additional items to check.  Go armed with your own checklist, paper, and pencil to make notes.  Take your time so you know everything works.  That includes light switches, faucets, propane, etc.  And Gary gave excellent advice.  Don't sign off until you're satisfied that everything is working properly.

ArdraF

LD does do a pretty good job, and they will back you if anything is wrong.  I was there in sales for the past 3 years, and one of the not there any more guys.  Your salesman (which one?) is your best help.  He or she will be sure all is going well, whether you have paid already or not.  Right now there are less sales, and more time, so things should e done pretty well. 

You van private message me, I'll talk to the saleman and make sure you get extra care.  (not that you need me for that, but an extra in is always good.)

06 Pace is a nice unit, which floorplan?  36D? 

If I recall correctly, back about March 2006 a forum member by the name of UK-RV started a long thread about his experiences with Lazy Days handling the inspection, delivery, and correction of many, many problems with the NEW motor home he purchased there. Searching the form for this thread and reading it might give you a few ideas on what to look for and how to proceed if you do have some issues.

Chet18013

Paul was a special case.  Just ask him.  He had a lot of very specific needs, for exporting, plus he had some issues that occasionally happen with new units.  He was hardly the rule, very much the 2% exception.

I think Paul may even agree with this. 

He did have issues with some of the techs, but again, exception not rule. 

Anyplace has a bad day, a bad unit, there is not a dealer in the world that has a 100% CSI.  Can't happen.  Heck some folks won't gve it so the place has room to improve!  Even if it were a faultless delivery.  (Pauls was not) 

Standard delivery on a used unit typically goes very easily.  Walk thru instructor makes a list, gets turned into Delivery advisor.  He checks it and either does the list on site, or for something small, just stop at the bay on the way out. 

Don't forget, the dealers delivery is one of thousands, yours is one of one.  For the customer, if something is wrong it must be indicative of all that has gone on before, for the dealer it is something to fix and note for future.  Dealer is concerned, his aim is for 100%, but we all know that is impossible.  Sometimes stuff breaks or fails after proving it worked hours before. 

Customers that get the best service are those that are the most cooperative.  Couple reasons, they are in a better mood, moods are infectious, Nasty moods make for a worker that wants to get in and out and done.  This is when things happen.  Flies to honey? 

The angry demanding customer, well in this as in life, they are tougher to please, because they get that hard edge.  It could have been quicker, it shouldn't have happened.  An old story about a flat tire and a jack come to mind. 

This has nothing to do with LD, it is univesal. 

Anyplace has a bad day, a bad unit, there is not a dealer in the world that has a 100% CSI.  Can't happen.  Heck some folks won't gve it so the place has room to improve!  Even if it were a faultless delivery.  (Pauls was not)

Our first delivery at Lazy Days was like that - a disaster from the get-go. Our rig was special order and two days after it came in the salesman called and said it was ready to go and we could pick it up at 10 a.m. the next morning. We arrived and the place was a bedlam. There  were 34 rigs scheduled for delivery that day (yes, 34!) and the Delivery Office was swamped with waiting buyers. They told us up front that things were not going according to plan that day and
please bear with us". We got our rigs manuals and a driver took us out to the rig to look it over while we waited for the delivery team manager to get to us. We were appalled at the condition of the coach - it was obvious a lot of work was going to be needed, including some time in the cabinet shop and paint shop because there were damages to be repaired. [We never forgave that salesman for saying the rig was ready for delivery - he had obviously never even looked at it]. It was early afternoon before our delivery team manager even got to the rig and when I showed him some of the problems I thought he was going to cry - he did not need another problem child to add to his difficulties that day.  But he promised to do his best and that everything would be made right. He sent his lead guy over and the two of us made a list (a long one) of the repairs needed and then I went to the finance people and told them I would not be signing any papers with the coach in its present condition. They said "we understand" - no hassle at all. We stayed over an extra day (slept in our old rig, which was parked next to the new one) and people worked on our coach til 9:30 pm that night and started again at 7 am the next morning. By around 3 pm they had got everything squared away, even the body work,  and we accepted delivery and were on our way.

Our second experience was just the opposite (yes, we bought another coach there, but used a different salesman) . Everything went smoothly, there were only minor problems to fix and we and everybody else smiled all the way through the process.

We purchased our motorhomes from Lazydays and did the walk trough, also had they walk through and show us stuff.  We were not happy with the service guy so we went tot he service manager and asked for a new service giy to walk through with us.  We got one, we pointed out several things wrong and things were taken care of for us.  I would make sure that you talk them into staying in the del area for one night and USE everything so you can make sure everything is how you want it before you leave. Once out then you have to get in line for service.  Make sure if you get the 30 day warranty that you use the unit within that time and call the service manager if you have issues and get it serviced.  When you purchased they took really good care of us, of course that has been several years ago but lets hope they still have a good service department.

We purchased ours there too. PDI?  Never happened. They dropped a plasma TV over the dash and sratch it, broke the tv and the flip up back up monitor, The tech i gess was afraid to get fired said it was like that, also the fog lamps, the park cable, the $650.00 dollar Hughes Autoformer got stollen, YES, stollen. They never changed the oils like they say they do on PDI`s. I called the salesperson and they replaced everything with brand new parts, he remembered how it looked the day we test drove the unit  (it had 6,500 miles)  they replaced even the dash finisher that got scratched. One thing I must say, they do take care of you if something happens, it`s just the hustle you have to go thru.  I will recomend Lazy Days for sales with my eyes closed, they give good deals. For service? Keep a eye on things, they have some employees with very bad habits. My suggestion, make a list, check everything, stay in the Rv overnight and run all the appliances, even the water heater. They will make you sign a paper stating everything is ok right before you drive off the lot. Remember, they are pretty good at taking care of their customers if something happens, so don`t be affraid to ask for something that don`t look right. Good Luck!!!!! :)

You automatically have at least one night in the delivery area, but you typically cannot stay in it overnight until paperwork is finished.  (New rigs) Used it is the practice, but could be worked out. 

Extra nights, especially this time of year, are not an issue.  I wouldn't stay a week, but people have. 

I had one customer that signed on 8/31, didn't leave until Dec.  He drove car home for Doc appt's in the interim, but most of his delay was absed on mfg imperfections in panelling that had to be ordered, then pieces coming in not matching.  An awning he broke, and parts being on back order.  All this stuff happened sequentially.  All his items were fixed, but he complained about the time.  Of course some of the time was spent wiating for him to return.

Funny thing, he traded it in 6 months later to a different dealer, one with no service at all.  Now if he needs service he still has to deal with LD.  When he didn't buy from me I was  disappointed, but not by much. 

Our motorhome purchase from LD was a disaster....so much they took it back and replaced it with another one.

Now, was any of it their fault.  No, maybe 10%, but you have to realize the turn over rate of trade-ins and sales was incredibly high at this time. PDI missed some things we caught within that 30 day frame and I can honestly tell you the first one we had for more than a month and they still took it back.

The second one had some issues ANYONE would have missed.  It seemed the previous owners kinda patched it up to make it pass trade-in inspection then the electrical system just literally failed all over.

LD took the motorhome and kept it for about 3 weeks, gave us a loaner and not only took our checklist of things we saw, but also had their own checklist of items fixed.

45 days later we take it camping and zap the Automatic Transfer Switch fried.  Wow...called up LD, they told us to bring it in.  We dropped it off, the ATS was upgraded, more "bad" wiring was found and replaced, they added an additional coach battery and also upgraded some other electrical items that "might" have been affected by the ATS burnout.

I would give double thumbs up to LD, I would recommend my friends and family to go there and YES I would buy from then again.

Now after all that....

1. I would get a 3 day stay at Rally Park prior to signing this way you can see if the coach is "useable" and no quick issues come up.
2. Use the checklist here in the library.
3. At rally park, you can even talk to your neighbors to help you give it a once over ( they are really nice there )
4. Make sure that the roof is recently sealed...leaks terify.
5. Check the tires, if they need replaced, ask for a new set.
6. Check the awning. Any tears, bent parts, etc...have them replace it.
7. Move ALL the windows, blinds, drawers (make sure they lock in place when closed), open and close everything for smoothness, turn on your A/C and run the microwave at the same time (we caught our first electrical bug that way).
8. Drive it down the expressway  there and feel for wheel vibrations, alignment, etc..

Ok, thats most of what I can think of now.  Oh one more thing..

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK! :)

I'm acquainted with Bob Grady, who is General Manager of Parts & Service for LD. I believe Bob is genuinely committed to giving excellent service to everybody, but LD service is a huge operation with 273 service bays and hundreds of techs, some of whom are more skilled than others (and perhaps some more ethical than others). Whatever the reason, things don't always happen the way the senior management thinks they do.  But if you have a problem, talk with Bob or one of his managers and they will get it straightened out. Or tell your salesman (even after the sale) and let him get the appropriate manager to focus on your issue. Or let me know and I will contact them myself and get their personal attention on the problem.

Paul was a special case.  Just ask him.  He had a lot of very specific needs, for exporting,

Hi Bill

Just wanted to correct the above.

Our specific needs were to change the rear turn indicator lenses from red to amber and to run an external cable from rear of coach to dash.

I dont believe the above should warrant the statement "He had a lot of very specific needs,"

Paul

PS even after our experiences with LD, I would re-visit but wouldnt be prepared to hand over the cash this time until everything was sorted within an agreed timescale. However, if LD failed this time, I would just walk away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom