Preferred route thorugh Colorado coming from Dodge City, Kansas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John90XJ

I'm coming from Dodge City, Kansas westward toward Nevada in mid-May with a 39' Discovery and a 22' car trailer.

I'm trying to figure out if the more direct route on US 50 makes more sense than backtracking up to the I-70 to get to Utah and the route back to Nevada.

What type of drive will that be versus the interstate? The map says about a 47 mile advantage to taking 50 with an 18 minute time penalty if driving a car.

I'm not in a huge hurry, but this will be our 7th week on the road, so getting home would be nice.

Hwy 50 winds along the Arkansas River between Canon City and Salida then climbs up over Monarch Pass. Mostly 4-lane, some 2-lane. Definitely slower than the interstate.

Is it so much slower than I would not want to run it? Or is it going to be a trip to remember and do it once? Having never driven in Colorado I mainly want to avoid huge passes at high elevation if possible.

I-70 thru Vail can be a stiff pull up out of Denver.  With a big rig my mind says I would rather be going west on I-70 than coming down into Denver.  I am heading for Utah in mid-April but am going to stay on I-80 and then drop down to Grand Junction to visit my cousins.

Highway 50 follows the Santa Fe Trail to La Junta (the junction in English) where the trail splits into the northern and southern routes. There is a lot of history along the road, One interesting place is Ft, Bent, a replica of a trading post as it was in the 1800's. There is the worlds largest unsupported log roof in a kiva at La Junta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koshare_Indian_Museum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent%27s_Old_Fort_National_Historic_Site

You are going to have to go over a high pass on I70 or 50 either way. Monarch on 50 and Vail pass on 70. Me, I love the back roads.

As Charles Kuralt said, "The interstate highway system has made it possible to travel from coast to coast and not see anything,"

The Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 is a bit over 11,000 feet in elevation.  It's a beautiful drive and not a bad descent westbound.  The pull up from Denver is going to be tough on either one.  I don't recall going over Monarch Pass so can't comment on that route.  Farther north I-80 has elevations in 7,000-8,000' range but they're more gradual.  It's a high plains route and an easier one than I-70 because the ascents and descents are more gentle.  Going north from Denver on I-25 to reach I-80 is also easier.  Guess it depends on whether you want more miles or more ascent!

ArdraF

Going through Colorado you have to go over a mountain pass. All choices in the 11,000-foot range, all tough climbs from east to west. All also spectacular scenery. If you're ok with a slower trip, I'd do Hwy 50 or take Hwy 160 through Pagosa and Durango with a stop at Mesa Verde. I-70 would be my choice if I wanted faster.

Well this certainly explains why Google Maps offered me the option of driving all the way to Wyoming and catching the 80 westward to Nevada. I'll see how may calendar looks and decide when I get there I guess. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Depends on how fast you drive on interstates.  Myself when I am towing I never go over 65.

As such highways such as US 50 are not much slower for me than Interstates.

Google maps gave you a 18 minute penalty when traveling by car.  If you do not go over 65 the time penalty may even reverse with US 50 being the same or possibly less.

Monarch pass should not be a problem.  I went over it last spring a found it a very good road with very little truck traffic.

lavarock1210 said:
Depends on how fast you drive on interstates.  Myself when I am towing I never go over 65.

This is me, rarely over 65 whenever, 65 for certain when I'm towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom