Pressure Pro Tire Sensors are bending my valve extender supports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travelman23

Hi All,
I purchased the Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitoring System early last season. I love the system but had to remove the tire sensors becase their added weight was causing the valve extender supports to bend outward due to centrifugal force.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem short of leaving the system off the tires?
Thanks in advance.

I'm curious to know what problem the bent valve extender supports causes that would be so serious that you would want to remove the sensors? 

I would remove the extenders before I would remove or cripple the TPMS.  JMHO

In fact, I would probably remove the extenders in any case.

The sensors are so light (about .5 oz, I believe) that I doubt they would cause any bending unless the metal mount is very flimsy.  A picture of your installation might give us a better idea of what's happening.

I agree with Lou on the extenders, if they're the flexible type, replace them with solid metal stems.

Travelman23 said:
Does anyone have a solution for this problem short of leaving the system off the tires?
Thanks in advance.

Here's what worked for me:

-Don- SSF, CA​

Attachments

• frontwheels.jpg
    frontwheels.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 60
  • rearwheels.jpg
    rearwheels.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 51
Perhaps stronger mounting brackets would help the problem? 

Steve

Yeah, those are flimsy mounts and a stronger one would solve the problem. But I'm not sure it is a problem if they bend somewhat anyway...

You could also shorten the mount to reduce the flex.

Travelman23 said:

It looks like my trick would work for you too. You will need two valve extenders in series for each rear wheel valve, for a total of 10 valve extenders for six wheels.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Beware, there are valve extenders and there are valve extenders.  We have a diesel pusher coach with big tires and run the pressure between 95-105 psi.  When we first got our Pressure Pro System, we needed valve extenders and bought ones at places like "Napa" and "Auto Zone" etc.  The extenders would fail and cause the tire to leak air, or give false readings which was more stressful to us than not having the TPMS at all.

We haven't traveled as much this past year or two because of building a house; but this year we are doing an extensive trip.  We took the coach to a truck tire facility and they ordered  brass and/or stainless steel extenders.  Now we get correct readings and no tire air leaks.

It could be that the type/quality of extenders could be your culprit, not the sensors themselves.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
It could be that the type/quality of extenders could be your culprit, not the sensors themselves.

I would say that Marsha has determined most probably cause since most of us using the PP never experienced such a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom