Pressure washer-looking to buy one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dukenrock

I am looking to buy a smaller pressure washer. I used an electric one once and it it did a nice job getting rid of the bugs!!  What's a good brand to buy?  (Can't remember the name of the one I used)

I use a electric Karcher at home - got it at Lowes. Northern Tool has a similar one and I think Walmart carries an electric washer too..

If you are washing an RV with it, be very careful. The high pressure spray will remove caulk or even damage the finish if too close. And will almost surely force water past window seals, slide outs and such.

There are a bunch of brands.. I'd look at basically two things

One is the rig's "Footprint"  That is,, what fits nicely in the space you have to store it.. Obviously a great big one won't fit in a little compartment

The second is the PSI.. Now.. this is a mixed issue.. Higher PSI removes dirt better.. However it may well remove other things too (Rubber from a roof, paint from the sides, bumper stickers, Concrete from your driveway.. I AM NOT KIDDING.. I've tested that one myself) and of course it can blast past seals better than lower pressure.. I'd go with 1500 PSI more or less.. (I have a 1000)

And that about covers it.

As for makes.. Most of them are quite close.. I would avoid the "Made In China" if you can

I have a Husky with a Honda gas engine - up to 2300 psi.  It was a gift but I couldn't recommend it.  Though it works fine (now) or did when I last used it, the Honda gas engine seems to be a little finicky if the gas left in gets old or stale.  A pressure washer is not generally something you use everyday but nice to have.  I have already replaced the carb. due to gumming up.  I would definitely go with an electric model next time, probably Karcher, 1700psi.  I used my neighbor's for a few jobs, including cleaning my MH and it seemed pretty reliable.  My Husky will take the leather right off steel toed boots and make short work of decals  - don't ask me how I know...

bt

Most RVers have a handy source of electricity epically if they have a motor home so an electric (which is usually smaller than a gas) makes sense

As for that Honda getting finikey if the gas gets old

The all do.. It's called varnish.. when the jets in the carb get all varnished (Due to gas drying out and seperating) they don't work well,,, IN fact they don't work at all.

I read another review that PSI importance is overrated and it's more important to consider the "moving water" ratio.  I don't remember the measure used, gallons-per-second maybe?  If anyone can comment on that, I'd be interested to know.  I too am looking at a pressure washer and have a Lowe's gift card to use up sometime soon!

Scotty
I don't know about the 'moving water ratio' but gallons per minute seems excessive.  The water is under pressure - obviously and doesn't use that much (water). Perhaps gallons per minute maybe but even that seems a lot.  The business end of the wand usually has three or four interchangeable nozzles from  0 deg (straight water line to about 25 deg. fan.  Even though the actual pressure remains constant the nozzles adjust the pressure on the surface being cleaned - wider = less pressure on the surface per sq. inch.    Most Pressure washers I have seen have a nozzle specifically for low pressure - for soap application and auto washing etc.    If you buy one with that Lowes card don't be tempted to fire it up and put your hand under the water stream to feel the pressure...it'll sting... a lot... Don't ask me how I  know!

John, I was told by the repair shop that Honda (engines) were particularly prone to fouling because the air/gas mixture ports were smaller than other engines.

bt

If you are cleaning hard, rough surface like concrete, you can't have too much pressure. If cleaning painted surfaces, decals, fabric, etc,. then even 1000 psi can be too much.

I would not use a pressure washer on my RV. A soft wash brush and a bucket of automotive-type wash solution (Zip car wash or similar) does it for me.

Your mileage may vary!

High pressure-low volume models (most small units) do not clean as easily as the car wash units, prompting people to move the wand closer and causing damage.  Higher volumes of water at the same pressure does make a big difference.  The biggest improvement is to use a heated unit, but then you are getting into $$$.  Small units work fine if you take your time. 

I add fuel stabilizer to all my small engine fuel and avoid the problem entirely.  As a former small engine mechanic, I would estimate 90% of my beginning of season work was because of bad fuel.

My high volume, high pressure gas rig works very well in my business, cleaning large items. I only use AVgas in mine to eliminate the gumming and varnish ( now 5 bucks a gallon).  Dan

I keep Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the gasoline I use in all gas engines I don not run enough to replace the gas every couple months.  It increases the life of the gasoline a bunch. 

The Honda engine on my pressure washer has a fuel drain for the carb.  The mfg recommends that the fuel be drained if the engine is not used regularly.

Pressure alone is over rated but that is the number that sells pressure washers at the box store. Volume in gallons per minute is also important. Have a look at some of the entry level units. One will advertise 2000 psi @ 2 gallons per minute and another might be 2300 psi @ 1.8 gpm. Same motor, same pump, the latter unit has a smaller nozzle to increase the pressure at the expense of volume. A larger pump and more power are required to increase both pressure and volume but that translates into higher current draw on electrics.
Power washers are not the best for rv's. Like Gary, we will stick to a garden hose with a bucket of soapy water and long handled brush for our trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom