Previous Water Damage on 2008 Forest River Wildcat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htpitts44

We recently purchased a 2008 Forest River Wildcat from a coworker's in-laws.  They were the original owners.  Only the wife was there when we looked the first time, and we thought we looked it over carefully and asked lots of questions, including if there had ever been any leaks or damage and were told no several times.  When we went to pick it up, the husband was there so we asked again and spent a lot of time with the husband going over things.  Once we got it home, I went to move the sofa sleeper the next day to vacuum and found dark stains on the carpet on both sides in the back.  We removed the built in end tables and found evidence of what appears to be a prior leak.  We debated calling them, but I happened to run into the lady the next day and asked her again about water damage.  She said it had never had a leak.  I mentioned the stains near the back corners and then she "remembered" they had a leak a few years back but said it had been repaired.  I told it that would have made a difference to us if we had known. 

I contacted the dealership where the repairs were supposedly done, and they are trying to find the records, but the owners either don't remember or will not tell us the year it occurred. 

A few days ago, the husband showed up at our house and told us that his wife had mentioned talking to me and they they just "forgot" to mention it since it had been repaired.  He said they had it parked at the lake a few years back and a tree fell on the roof and it got rained on.  He said the inside of the walls and the fiberglass on both sides in the back and the very back have all been replaced.  He seemed to have no idea why we were upset.  We told him that it would have made a difference to us in purchasing it if we had known.  We have only received a bill of sale at this point, and are waiting on the title.  He got very upset with us and asked did we want him to buy it back, or were we asking for part of our money back?  We didn't really answer him, because we certainly would not have bought it, or at least paid what we did ($13,000) if we had known about this.  We do feel we are owed something, but would not ask for this because we feel that it is a done deal.  The owner claims that with the repairs, it is probably "better than new".  We do feel that it was repaired by the dealership as stated, because it does not look like a patch or home job.

There do not seem to be any current leaks, and neither the walls or ceiling is discolored.  There don't seem to be any soft spots in either the walls or the floor.  In fact, if the carpet were replaced, you would never know there had been damage.  My question is, can this type of damage be repaired adequately to allow for safe continued use?  We are concerned about this from both a health and investment standpoint.  We aren't sure whether to cut our losses and try to sell it as is with full disclosure or do as we had originally planned and keep it a few years before upgrading?  We feel very deceived but don't feel it is the right thing to do to ask for all or part of our money back since I have to work with their daughter-in-law.  We did check with our courthouse and it does not have a salvage title, and he said they had turned it into their insurance company, so I guess the damage was not enough to total it out.

Would a repair of this type be considered to be as good as it was before the damage?

Thank you!

??? They conveniently 'forgot'? I would be asking for the money back regardless of your working relationship with the daughter in law, from what you are telling us they deceived you. It may have been professionally repaired, the shop may have decided the floor damage was not worth worrying about but that does not change the fact. What else did they overlook?
Having said that the unit is ten years old. The majority of the depreciation has already taken place so in the event you decide to sell it in a few years you are not likely to take a big hit.

When you buy anything, used, from a dealer or individual then it's on you. Always walk into the deal thinking they are lying and you do your own due diligence.

I don't think they owe you anything and I would hate for people to come back after the sale.  They may or may not have remembered a leak or repair and it seems like it was done to a point you couldn't tell, so other than discolored carpet in a place you can't really see it sounds like it's an alright unit.

My opinion any way.

This is wrong, you didn't get full disclosure after asking for whatever reason.  If you want to back out that is your right and it sounds like they will honor that. Now you just have to decide if you want it or not and I can't help there.

yes,  had they told you that a tree crashed through the roof in a storm.......you or anyone might have passed on the purchase.

Did they lie ??  and that only matters if you can prove it in court.

( just out of curiosity....  were they politicians ?  ;) )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom