Price of gas this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;DWell, I think dave and I have you all beat. In town Gas is $3.24 and deisel is $3.31. Oh well, this price you pay for living in paradise.

Not sure if we win anything or not, but in British Columbia this afternoon, we paid $4.61 cents per gallon for diesel and were happy to get it as many stations are closed for winter? and we have a long ways to come home.

Today's price does not top our record for gasoline in the Northwest Territory on the Dempster Highway.? In June 06 we paid $4.89.

Betty
in BC

The prices I quote are after conversion from liters to gallons and factoring in the exchange rate.

We took a trip this weekend from Beaumont to Houston and then to Dallas/Fort Worth area and back.  The cheapest gas that I saw on the trip was in Houston at $2.35 a gallon and I saw that price at several stations while passing through Houston.  On a side note, I stopped in Houston to see my new Granddaughter who was born on Sunday, September 3.  We got up at 2:30 a.m. after my Son called to say she was coming and pulled out of the RV park at 3:00 a.m. just south of Fort Worth and got to the hospital just as they were bringing her into the nursery.  This is our 4th grandchild, 2 boys and 2 girls.  Life is grand!!!

Dan

I had to correct my 20 year old daughter when she said that gas prices at $2.59 we getting low.  Its all a matter of perspective but low gas prices to me are still something around $1.49/gal.

My 82 year old mother confirmed that the cost of fuel is dropping because of this being an election year.  She's been around long enough and I agree with her.  I feel that they will rise sharply in December and we'll see what other lame excuse hits the front page. 

I agree on being an election year,  definitekt has something to do with it.  But my idea of cheap gas is when I started driving  $0.18.9  a gallon.with a possible surcharge to 22.9 cents.  That's enough profit for those theiving greedy, lousey SOB CEO's of oil companies.    IMHO

Congratulations on the Granddaughter, Dan.

I don't think of myself as being all that old but gas was 24.9 cents a gallon when I starting driving. And you could buy a full meal at McDonald's for less than a dollar. Of course, our first house in southern California only cost $23,000. What happened???

Hi Wendy,

Nope, you definitely are NOT old. I remember the big "gas crisis" of 1974-75 when gas went to 30 cents per gallon.

Woody

Woody said:
I remember the big "gas crisis" of 1974-75 when gas went to 30 cents per gallon.

At that time I was living in the UK but working for a California company. We'd see TV coverage of the gas lines and our CA-based colleagues would be complaining every day. We were paying at least 4x the price in the UK and couldn't understand what these folks were complaining about. I recall paying 58c a gallon on one of my visits here and thought it was wonderfully cheap.

They just found a huge glut of oil in the Gulf of Mexico.  It should get me thru with the thirsty V10 I drive.  They say it will not be until 2010 before we see the benefits.  By then gas should have gone up to $5-6 dollars a gallon. 

Shayne said:
I agree on being an election year,  definitekt has something to do with it.  But my idea of cheap gas is when I started driving  $0.18.9  a gallon.with a possible surcharge to 22.9 cents.  That's enough profit for those theiving greedy, lousey SOB CEO's of oil companies.    IMHO

Shayne,

You have me beat!! When I started driving it was $0.19.9!!! I used to put in $1 each night. Had a 51 Chevy.  Owner finally asked me if I ever filled it up. I said why should I? A dollar gets me where I have to go!!! ;D

Jim  heck I thought I was a slow learner at driving Had to get on the tractor at age 6 and had to wire blocks of wood on the pedals.  Of Course, I was slow with girls too,  didn't start chasing them til I was 4.  Dumbest thing I ever did was catch one.  2nd big mistake was keeping the catch and not throwikng it back.  See. can't fish either LOL

Shayne said:
Jim  heck I thought I was a slow learner at driving Had to get on the tractor at age 6 and had to wire blocks of wood on the pedals.  Of Course, I was slow with girls too,  didn't start chasing them til I was 4.  Dumbest thing I ever did was catch one.  2nd big mistake was keeping the catch and not throwikng it back.  See. can't fish either LOL

Shayne,

You're a faster learner than I. Started driving a fork lift for a local lumber yard around age 12. Did that until I was 16. Then I was hired by the owner but told I could no longer drive the fork lift because the insurance wouldn't cover me until I was 18!!! Girls always frightened me. Didn't really catch one until I was in high school. Then she dumped me for her former beau. Finally married her after I left the Navy!!!! :) :) :) Fishing is another story!!!!!!

I learned to drive tractor when I was 4 and could only use the clutch and one brake because I couldn't reach the other brake on the opposite side.  If I remember correctly I paid .25 per gal. after getting my first car.  We paid 3.35.9 today for diesel in eastern Montana.

But look at all the money you saved Lorna,  You could be in Europe paying much more  LOL

Central Illinois gas is currently in the $2.49 range for unleaded, $3 or so for diesel.  Article in the paper today said that analysts (whoever they are) predict it will continue dropping at least another 20 cents in the next month.  The "election theory" has already been mentioned so I won't beat that horse.  ;)  When prices drop the politicians will always take credit, and when it skyrockets they will blame it on hurricanes, war, broken pipelines, and whatever else is going on that day.  ::) 

I too have often wondered about the seemingly unexplainable difference between unleaded and diesel... it never seems to follow a pattern.  Sometimes diesel is way more, sometimes it costs about the same, and occasionally it's less than unleaded.  If it were a production cost (i.e. it takes more processing to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of unleaded) then the price difference would be the same all the time.

I like the milk illustration.  When on sale milk still costs around $2/gallon, between $2.40-2.80 the rest of the time.  I remember milk prices being that way for probably the last 18-20 years since I started paying attention to how much things cost (I'm 29 as of today).  Funny how gas has increased 5x in price since then, yet milk is essentially unchanged...

In the UK it's ?4.50 a gallon and its nearly 2 dollars to our pound.

Filling up here really hurts.

Road Runner said:
In the UK it's ?4.50 a gallon and its nearly 2 dollars to our pound.

I assume that's imperial gallons. U.S. gallons are 20% smaller, so it  would be less $$ for a U.S. gallon. Makes it sound cheaper that way  ;D

scottydl said:
I too have often wondered about the seemingly unexplainable difference between unleaded and diesel... it never seems to follow a pattern.? Sometimes diesel is way more, sometimes it costs about the same, and occasionally it's less than unleaded.? If it were a production cost (i.e. it takes more processing to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of unleaded) then the price difference would be the same all the time.

Exactly right - no business in US prices on cost and survives. We live in a market economy although the vast majority of our citizens don't understand it or support it because of the lack of understanding, even though they are the beneficiaries every day.

There is a really good artilce, written by an economist, about the price of gas relative to the past if anyone is interested in reading it.  I get the newsletter from the mutual fund company and thought it was an interesting perspective.  It can be found HERE.

Along that line, a financial type I heard a few months back explained the volitility of the fuel market.  Everyone in the distribution chain has to price his current fuel at a cost sufficient to replace it plus his margin and profit.  If the guy at the corner station sees the price that his distributer is rising, he has to jack up the price of the fuel he already has by an amount which he guesses the rise will take his wholesale price at the next time he fills his tanks.  The distributor is in the same position with respect to his supplying refinery(s).  The refinery is in the futures market for crude, which has to account for hurricanes in the Gulf, dictators in Venezuela, and crazies in the Middle East.  Everybody is guessing. 

Pray that big strike in the Gulf really does develop to supply 11% of our crude supply.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom