Print Server?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
In the MH we use a Sprint aircard which is plugged into a Linksys WRT54G3G-ST wireless router for internet access.  The router, aircard, and printer all ride in the compartment above the MH driver, along with the Direct TV receiver.  AC power is there and all but the printer are plugged in and run pretty much 24/7.  When we need to print from one of the lap tops I move the printer to the dashboard of the MH, plug it into AC and into the lap top.  When done, it goes back up in the compartment out of the way. 

Could I purchase a print server to plug into the router, plug the printer into the print server, and then print without moving the printer to the dashboard?

Will just any old print server work?

Since that router has a 4 port switch built in I can give you an HP JetDirect 170x that will allow your printer to plug into your router. It is a little old but works just fine. The printer would be wired to the router but the computer(s) could print wirelessly.

You can get a wireless print server so you could put the printer anywhere convenient and print to it from any computer connected to the same wireless router.  A Linksys model would be the most compatible with the router but any make should work.

We just juggled our printers to give us network connectivity between Marlene's desktop and my laptop both in the coach and at home. A year or two ago, we bought a Canon MX700 4-way multifunction printer to replace a scanner and a printer in the coach. At home we had an excellent printer (Canon IP 4000) but without remote capability. Both units had been top rated by PC World for a couple of years within their respective categories and have given us excellent service. The MX 700 is kind of bulky, but has network connectivity and the newer Canon print/ink technologies, such as in the MX 700, had passed by the IP 4000. Staples recently had a Canon 3-way multifunction printer with wireless  (doesn't even come with a USB cable) on sale for under $100. The MX 700 has been relocated to the house (so we now have a fax machine, the 4th function on the MX 700) and is plugged into the router and the MP 560 has taken it's place in the coach. With the wireless function, and smaller footprint, there are a lot of out of the way places to where we can relocate the printer.

With the IP 4000 needing new ink cartridges (think $35-60) and a $20 rebate coupon from Staples, the upgrade was an easy choice. But now we have a printer in the coach which we can put almost anywhere and don't have to worry about long cables strung out all over. Much simpler set up than a print server and my net cost was probably less expensive than buying a server.

Could you purchase a print server..... .?

YES.. Many different brands, Linksys makes one Hawnking, Whomever made your printer likely has one, (Some of them plug into "Expansion" ports on the printer) Netgear and more.. Any computer store, best buy, fry's, MicroCenter, assorted internet sites

One word of caution though

I have a Hawkind.. Now with the Canon printer I currently use.. the only problem is I"ve never gotten it to work properly wireless

Wired it works great

But with the HP I gave away.. No joy at all.  Both HP and HAWKING say it should have worked.. Don't know what the problem was

2: I need to re-locate my switch (it's in the motor home..... Somewhere) and put that in the front overhead since the router is in the back.... but that's minor.. Mostly I need a couple cable I don't currently have on hand.

One thing I did have to configure was the bi-directional communications setting on one of the config pages for the printer port (Not the printer set up but the port setup)  And I forget how I had to set it since till I find the switch and get a couple more cable I'll not be using it.

I don't know what the cost of a print server is, but if you might consider replacing your printer anytime in the near future, there are new printers for less than $100 with built-in wifi. We use one at home so all our computers can print to it.

Good advice and welcome to The RV Forum!!

I have an old HP Laserjet 1200 with two new toner cartridges left - found the cartridges on close-out sale for $36 bucks each a couple of years ago.  I use an old Linksys wired/wireless print server and it works quite well.  Jane's desktop PC runs Linux and I had the 1200 working fine an an ipp printer, then all of a sudden, it would print maybe one page a day from the print queue (of about 50 pages.)  Fiddled with the Linux driver and got it working again.  Still don't have a clue what the deal was with that.

As long as I can keep it running, I'll hang on to it since the cost per page is so much cheaper than inkjet.  Our HP Photosmart 6100 is network-ready - how nice that is!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom