Problem with 12 volt house/chassis breaker panel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rswiat

I have a 2012 Winnebago Via.  I noticed the switches to disconnect the house batteries and turn off the steps weren't functioning.  I checked the breaker panel located in the outside storage compartment located by the steps and found three of the push button breakers labeled: "electric step control", "electric step ignition", and "battery mode switch" were tripped.  I figured they were like a GFCI outlet so I pressed them in but none of them would "click" in they were just moving loosely in and out.  I could see signs mainly rust that the compartment with the breaker panel and solenoids had moisture get in it although it is dry at this time.  I'm not sure what to do next since I'm not familiar with these push button breakers.  I figured they would push in an click to reset, but they remain loose, sliding in and out.
The steps work with the door opening and closing.  I don't have any 12 volt house power so the battery disconnect must be in the disconnect mode.

Any suggestions of what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Clearly your steps have power if they go in/out with the door switch.  How did you determine those breakers were tripped? Usually if a pushbutton breaker doesn't "click" in, it means it is not tripped in the first place.

Similar thing happened on my friends pathfinder while we were on holidays. Lost all the house side 12volt. The chassis 12 volt still worked. The headlights ect still functioned as well as the steps would go in and out only if you opened the door and would not stay out. It was his disconnect relay. Since they dont want to run large 12 volt wires up to the salesman switch by the door, they have a relay and run small wires to the switch. Similar to the way a solenoid works for your ignition in a car. We found his in an outside compartment with his inverter and some other electrical boxes. All we did was tap the relay a couple times with a small hammer,  and it came back on. Dont know if it was stuck because its wore out or some other reason. He had to do it several times over the next few days but has not done it since. He ordered one just in case and will change it when the new one arrives. If tapping it doesnt work, you can take a jumper cable and bypass the relay. If this restores the power, your relay is shot. Maybe this will help. Good luck

I'm about to go out and gather some more info this afternoon.  I will add checking for a relay to the interior switch to my list.  The switch to turn off the steps and the switch to disconnect the house batteries are right next to each other in the side of the step well.  Both switches are unresponsive and the led light indicating connection of the house batteries is out and activating the switch has no effect.  So I'm going to start with the batteries and see what is getting power.  I'm not that familiar with all the electrical connections so it will be like feeling my way in the dark and puzzling out what info I gather.

The only thing that step switch is designed to do, is allow the steps to remain extended when the door is closed while you are coming and going when parked.  The steps will/may continue to open and close with the door (regardless of the switch position) if the ignition is ON.  It sounds like your disconnect solenoid is defective (that's the relay controlled by the wall switch) or, the fuse attached to the top of the relay is blown.

I would check the disconnect relay first. Sounds exactly what it does when it fails. As I stated, sometimes just tapping it will reset it. If not bypass it to check if it is the problem. I dont know how to add links here, but if you google battery disconnect relay, you will see what one looks like. Jump a wire from the large nut on the bottom to the large nut on top. This will bypass the relay. If you have 12 volt power, the relay is defective. Some people bypass them permanently.

Just an update as I check things out.  My house batteries are showing 12.7 volts.  Then plugged to shore power all 12 volt systems in house got power back.  The led on the battery disconnect switch is green again.  Flipping the disconnect switch you can hear the click in the compartment with the solenoid but led remains lit.  Turning off the step has no effect, step retracts when door is closed.

Disconnected from shore power and still had 12 volt power in house.  Battery disconnect worked as normal.  Not able to shut off steps.

The push button breakers that had tripped would not reset.

With a multimeter I was getting 12.8 volts at each end of the solenoid, (black plastic cover), for the battery disconnect.  Checked the chrome topped one next to it and showed 12.8 going in from the jumper off the black topped solenoid and 12.8 v at the opposite connection.

So I ended up confusing myself and had to review what I knew.

1). Returned from trip where house had power on shore power and battery.  Only anomaly was the steps would not shut off when turning the step switch to the off position.

2). The next day went out to the coach and had no power to the house (not connected to shore power). Started the engine, no change.

3). Removed the panel located in the storage compartment next to the steps.  It appeared moisture had gotten in there.  The 12 v push button breaker panel had three popped out.
            A) Electric Step Control
            B) Electric Step Ignition
            C) Battery Mode Switch
Pressing them in wouldn't reset them.

4). When I connected to shore power I had power to the house.  I flipped the battery disconnect switch and heard the click in solenoid.  Tried pushing in the button breakers but they wouldn't stay in.

5). Disconnected from shore power and still had power to the house.  Switched battery disconnect and power went off.  Switched battery disconnect back on and power restored to house.

So at this point house power is back.  Steps still don't shut off and the three above mentioned breakers are still tripped.

So I'm still wondering what's going on. 

__,_._,___

Are you sure those breakers ARE tripped?
Did you measure the voltage on both sides with a meter?

As Gary said, if they are NOT tripped, the plunger will just seem to be loose in the breaker and very easy to move in and out. 
If they are actually tripped, the plunger will be harder to press.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom