Problem with AC power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pahighlander

My Fridge and mirco will not run on AC power. My fridge works on gas but it will not switch to elec and my mirco will not turn on. When I plug land line in I have power to elec water heater and block heater, the same as when I start the gen but my batteries do not go into charge mode either way. With land line unplugged and gen off my inverter still works outlets and Tvs. It is as if the coach isn't recognizing any ac power. I have checked the breaker box and my inverter or shows no codes. The green light is on for inverting but doesn't switch to orange for charging. Any idea before I take it to the dealer???  It is an 04 Newmar Kountry Star.
Thanks

Do you have a 50A power cord?  If so, you may be missing one leg of the input 120VAC.  That could be a problem in the outlet, the power cord, the transfer switch, or the load center.

Pahighlaner said:
I tried a 110 15 amp too and still same result. It does the same with the generator running too.

Since you're getting power to some devices and not others, I still suspect one leg is missing, if you have a 50A system.  You still haven't answered that question.  That will determine where the troubleshooting goes to next.

I think Ned is on the right track. Is there a 50 amp main breaker in the coach that might be tripped on one leg? Or could the 50 amp circuit on your shore power panel be tripped on one leg? Sometimes you can't see it if it's tied to the other leg of the breaker. Flip them off then back on.

If the microwave doesn't work on 50 amp shore power, 110V 15 amp shore power, or generator power, but other 110V AC circuits work on all three, then I would suspect that the GFCI has been tripped on the microwave circuit. 

I see a lot of folks suspecting GFCI's... On circuits which often do not have GFCI protection..

That said, I have heard of an RV Fridge being on the GFCI loop, no reason a MIcrowave can not be put on one too  even if there is absolutly no reason to do it with either of them (easier to properly ground them and let the circuit breaker do it

Power to a 50 amp rig comes in on 3 wires, Two hots and a neutral, it matters not if you are plugged into 20, 30 or 50 amp there are two hots and a neutral, the adapter for 20 or 30 feeds the hot wire to both hots.  If you have an automatic transfer switch and ONE relay is hung, that can do it,, Since the problem exists on both Generator and shore power I'm guessing the power cord and inlet re good.. the Transfer switch is not suspect #1 but the first suspect in the line

Then we have the wires from there to the MAIN brekers, the Main breaker, and finally the branch breakers and the wires to the devices,, This includes the outlet

The fridge is the easiest to check

If you step outside to the fridge's back door and open it you should see a 120 volt outlet and plug.. (Though that is the normal spot they sometimes put them elsewhere just so you know)  Unplug here and plug in a lamp or fan.. Make sure the lamp or fan or test light is turned on.. LIGHT is good, Dark is bad (or wind good, deadl air bad)

Then get back with us.

Oh, the breaker box (Mentioned earlier) with no power (unplug, generator off) make sure all the assorted screws are tight... Many rvers have a few screws loose, often in this area.

Take the cover plate of the square "D" breaker box and use a meter to check for 115 VAC on both legs of the ganged 50 amp breaker. If you have it there then move down the line. If you don't have it there open the transfer switch and look for a disconnected wire. My guess you have a loose or broken or disconnected wire in the transfer switch.

Well I took it to the dealer today and they said it was the charging side of the inverter that is bad. Should have replacement unit on Tuesday and ill be back in business. Thanks

Well I took it to the dealer today and they said it was the charging side of the inverter that is bad. Should have replacement unit on Tuesday and ill be back in business. Thanks

How does that explain the fact that the microwave doesn't work on AC?

rsalhus said:
How does that explain the fact that the microwave doesn't work on AC?

Oh, yee of little faith.  If it's on the Internet, it's fact.  If the Dealer said it, it's fact.

The cost of a brand spanking new Xantrex RS3000 Sine Wave Inverter:  $2471.25.
The charges for labor to have the old inverter removed and the new one installed:  $467.55.
Getting everything in the motorhome working again for that upcoming trip to the Hamptons:  Priceless.

MasterCard.  Don't leave home without it.

Well after reading this I called dealer again and question them with more detail and the inverter wasn't charging and had one side not providing 110, that was why the app was not working but TV and other outlets were. I hope they are right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom