Problems with Dual Pane Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

We have dual pane windows on our coach.  The gasket(?) that separates them has warped and sticks up into the window.  What is causing this and what is the fix?  Is there a better mateiral to put in there.  I was thinking about obtaining services from a mobile home glass person.  Sure appreciate the help.  Thanks, Phil

Phil

There could be a couple of reasons which would cause the gasket to warp - however, good news is that it is very unlikely anything you did.  The gasket is flexible and probably warped due to a defect during manufacture of the window and/or original installation.  There isn't anything you can do to 'repair' the gasket and still maintain the window's integrity.  The dual paned window requires replacement.  They will typically come factory pre-sealed or sealed by the glazier - if they have the ability to create the vacuum between the two sheets of glass.  The vacuum (though I believe sometimes an inert gas is used) is necessary to prevent moisture between the glass and to create the necessary air-space for insulation (R value) and safety purposes.

Under normal circumstances the gasket remains in place around the perimeter of the glass.  For it to move from its sealed position is really an anomaly, though I suppose there could be something underneath it, pushing it out of alignment - very unlikely - but removal of the window should identify the cause, if there is one.  Call the mobile home glass co. - or possibly look for the same size window, in good shape, at a salvage yard.  The problem with the latter is that you will not necessarily know if the inner seal/gasket is good or bad until after installation and exposed to heat and moisture.  Depending upon quality and what elements the window is exposed to, the gasket can breakdown anywhere from 1 - 15 years.  Good Luck...

BT

Phil  Assuming you are referring to the outer seal, having sold windows at one time, while at a factory that question came up.  The tech there said, there is not always a cut and dried answer as to how and why this occurs, but if it bothered anyone, simply take a razor blade and trim it, because the seal should still be good. Don't recall ant seals leaking, but have seen inner  seals separate from glass.  This causes air pockets and moisture (cloudiness) to form, it then needs attention by replacing the glass.

Having worked in the glass business for 39 years several things come to mind. Usually gaskets move because heat and pressure move them. Also insulated units are sealed and the inside air is not in a vacuum. The glass is just stuck together using usually a silicone or poly butyl sealant. If the unit starts to cloud up that means the seal is broken and needs to be replaced. This can be done by buying a new unit. I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself because you won't get a good seal. I agree that I would just cut off the part that is sticking and that should eliminate the problem.  Good luck and enjoy your RV.

Hey Boyd, I was talking to some folks who identified the type of windsows, SE-GI and they advised the windows are beginning to fail, lose their seal I guess.  I guess it is called "snaking".  I was advised this is not unusual but is expensive.  Thanks for the help tho.  Phil

Phil, I had 3 windows replaced at Peninsula Glass in Vancouver WA this summer to repair this. On my Country Coach it was due to bad technology and all of my windows have or will do this given enough time in the sun. All of the windows on the streetside are affected plus the entry door. I prefer to face west so streetside takes the main beating. Kitchen, bath, and bedroom are also affected but I never open the blinds so can ignore the problem.

Here's a pic of my failed driver side window.

Attachments

• magna_new_window_instal_at_peninsula_glass_0001.jpg
    magna_new_window_instal_at_peninsula_glass_0001.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 72
Ron, I have four of them beginning to snake.  I was told this is a manufacturing defect due to inferior materials.  It was indicated that "snaking" is pretty widespread in rigs. 

rhmahoney, you have snakes too.  I was told they will eventually fail and then cloud up.  Dangerous in the drivers area.  The guy I was talking to suggested a class action suit due to shoddy construction.

Phil

Ron said:
Who is the manufacturer of your windows Russ.  I have never seen anything like that.

Ron:

I don't know if this is Russ's but SE-GI is a California company that has had a lot of dual-pane seal problems that causes the seal to be sucked into the window. They were replacing the glass but not the labor if you called the factory.

Country Coach's main supplier in that era. Don't remember the name. Peninsula Glass's owner was happy he didn't buy into that technology when he had the chance.

Fortunately American Coach did not use the same manufacturer as was used on Russ's coach.  We have never had such problems.  Was just wondering if it was a bad batch or a bad manufacturer.

I replaced a number of dual pane windows at our last house. Then, when we were selling, the home inspector called 10 additional windows that I hadn't noticed. He showed me how he shone a flashlight vertically up the glass and could see the first signs of snaking.

Jeff, Can you give me somemore details on the glass replacement.  I will be out in CA for a couple weeks this summer and might take them up on the glass replacement.  I replaced all the windows in my house, 21, for about $4000 installed.  The windows cost about $150 each or so.  Labor was the cost.  I took a look at Pennisula Windows and no price was advertised, needed to get an estimate. 
Phil 

We had 31 out of 37 windows installed in our house for $12,000 this year.  Most are double hung.  The seal appears to be a rubber coated metal frame that I assume would not be sucked in.  Rubber with no reinforcing does not appear to be a good idea.  Prices and quality level appear to be all over the map.

Can any full timers who use there motor home as their primary residence qualify for energy credit on federal taxes when installing energy efficient windows??

motojavaphil said:
Jeff, Can you give me somemore details on the glass replacement.  I will be out in CA for a couple weeks this summer and might take them up on the glass replacement.  I replaced all the windows in my house, 21, for about $4000 installed.  The windows cost about $150 each or so.  Labor was the cost.  I took a look at Pennisula Windows and no price was advertised, needed to get an estimate. 
Phil 

Phil:

Sorry but I do not know the details other than owners were upset over having to pay the labor at the time.

Thanks Jeff.  I went out and counted all of them tonight and the news is not good.  10 windowss suffur from "snake rot".  When I bought the rig thery were not there excpept in one window.  I cant help but wonder that temp difference between the interior and exterior effect the windows.  Shoddy stuff in any case...Phil

Back
Top Bottom