Prodigy Brake Controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jofus64

I had a friend give me one of the above mentioned units. I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 that I will be pulling my tt with. The box has the plug that plugs directly into the back of it but other than that just a black wire, a red a blue and a white. Am I going to have to hardwire this thing to my truck or should my truck have a plug at the steering column that will plug directly into it.

If I do have to hardwire it in is it a difficult project or something I could do on a Saturday with a 12 pack and a little cussing?

I installed a controller in a 99 silverado that I bought new at the time.  Mine had the towing package and came with a pre-wired plug with wires that plugged into a block under the dash.  It was very simple to hook up the wires from the controller to the wires of the same color on the plug.  You may be able to get a prewired plug from a Chevy dealer.  It's an easy way to go.  The hardest part of the project was drilling the holes to mount the controller.

Good Luck

And I had a 2000 1500 and had the same experiences as BigLarry.  You could always call the manufacturer and they would tell you what was needed and probaby walk you through it.

I'll be transferring a Progdigy bake controller from my truck to my '93 Brave and will follow these instructions.

Typical Brake Control Wiring Diagram
Hitch supplied brake controllers require 4 wire connections:

1. Trailer Feed (usually blue): This is the wire that supplies brake power for the controller to the 6-way or 7-way trailer connector at the back of the vehicle. Some vehicles with factory tow packages already have this wire run from under the dash to the rear of the vehicle. Otherwise, the wire will need to be run along the underside of the vehicle and through the firewall to the desired Brake Control mounting location. To get through the firewall, sometimes a hole must be drilled. However, grommets or pre-existing holes are already available in most vehicles.
2. Ground (usually white): This wire is connected from the brake controller to any reliable ground location.
3. Brake Switch (usually red): This can be found near the top of the brake pedal. There are wires extending from the switch and using a circuit tester, the wire that has power when the brake pedal is pressed can be found. This wire is tapped into using a scotch lock.
4. Battery Power (usually black): This is the connection that supplies power to the brake controller. Some vehicles with factory tow packages already have this wire run from under the dash to the battery with some kind of circuit protection. Otherwise, a wire must be run through the firewall and connected directly to the battery with an in line circuit breaker.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom