Progressive EMS 50 buzzing no display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Progressive Industries hard wired EMS-LCHW50
This morning we heard it buzzing loudly and the display is off.
Power is on in the camper
Any thoughts, I will call Progressive later and see what they say
Thanks

Well, if power is still passing thru it I'm thinking the buzzing is a result of a fault in the display circuit and the primary function is still working. Usually, though, a buzzy sound indicates that the power source is only marginally with in spec, e.g. the frequency or voltage is near the range limits. However, the display should still work as long as the power source is acceptable.

Another possibility for the "buzzing" sound is the shading coil or ring on the contactor has broken. That would not explain the display issue however.

Thanks, I have a message into progressive. I bought it from them 10 years ago so of course I can't find the receipt. Will follow up with the solution.

I tightened down the connects, 2 of them needed a good half to three quarter turn. The rest just an eighth of a turn.
The romex connectors were also needed to be tightened down.
The display was loose, pushed in and now it is working.
It still makes a very very low hum, have to stick your head in the basement and listen for it.
I don't know it always had a low hum, something I didn't pay attention to.
I'll put the basement wall back in and see if I can still hear it.
Thanks for the help

I was going to suggest something else.
Copper wire is somewhat soft (I think the term is malabale) and as it gets hot and cold it changes from ROUND to more or less Square.. and contact is lost.. Thus you need to retighten.
Now this takes time.. But in many cases if the unit is professionally installed.. Or when an RV is new. Turns out they sometimes do not do a good job of tightening.
One of the screws in my less than a year old Class A (I had issues with the air conditioners and the first place I stopped was the breaker box.. also the last) took over 2 1/2 turns before I felt resistance and over 3 before it was tight... Yup. I've found many RVers have a few screws loose.. Glad you found yours.

Reactions: SMR
Back
Top Bottom